[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Rest In Power: The Trayvon Martin Story  (Read 1272 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Rest In Power: The Trayvon Martin Story
« on: August 15, 2018, 09:45:46 AM »
I thought I started this thread last night but I must not have hit "Post" (or it got deleted?).

Has anybody watched the first 3 episodes that have come out so far (out of 6) on the Paramount Network?  They also have the full episodes available on their website.

So far I think it's very well done.  There are some things that I was unaware of or completely forgot about from the case.  I definitely did not remember Zimmerman's wife being put in jail for her roll in keeping Zimmerman's second passport (and maybe their handling of "donations?" they weren't very clear about what she was put in jail for) from the authorities (wouldn't this be pretty easy for them to find out about?  Wouldn't the government have some sort of records of passports for people?).  I also didn't remember his original bail being set so low and then raised due to signs of being a flight risk.  And it's not totally clear where the phone call between Zimmerman and his wife came from, but I'm pretty sure it must've been a call from Zimmerman in jail, and he was always careful knowing his calls were being recorded with not revealing anything and speaking in code.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Rest In Power: The Trayvon Martin Story
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:18:45 AM »
I believe the Martin family were denied Justice. If Zimmerman was charged with manslaughter instead of 2nd degree murder I believe the jury would have found him guilty and he would have served time.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 02:09:44 PM »
I believe the Martin family were denied Justice. If Zimmerman was charged with manslaughter instead of 2nd degree murder I believe the jury would have found him guilty and he would have served time.

Quite possible; however, had they charged him with MS instead of 2M - even if found guilty - there would still be those who felt that justice wasn't served since he should have been charged with 2M.

It's a balancing game for the prosecutor, but the adage of "convictions are won at indictment, not trial" certainly seems applicable here... I think I heard that in Florida, MS and 2M carry the same 15 year max sentence, which if true, the decision to try as 2M seems very questionable.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 02:16:44 PM »
I agree with you both. Sometimes it's tough for prosecutors to make a determination based on incomplete evidence, but at some point, with a really bizarre law in play, they should have brought it down to manslaughter. Horrible story from start to finish, and unfortunately a lack of justice in the final analysis.

feedback