[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Details Emerge About Maryland Player's Death  (Read 4589 times)

GGGG

• All American
Details Emerge About Maryland Player's Death
« on: August 11, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24342005/maryland-terrapins-football-culture-toxic-coach-dj-durkin

D.J. Durkin should be fired and a criminal investigation should be taking place.

tower912

• All American
Re: Details Emerge About Maryland Player's Death
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »
At least they are in the B1G
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
 durkin placed on paid leave.  the strength coach(if this is true) ought to be put thru one of his workouts led by a group of select football players
don't...don't don't don't don't

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 04:21:56 PM »
durkin placed on paid leave.  the strength coach(if this is true) ought to be put thru one of his workouts led by a group of select football players

strength coach has been fired.  Plenty of time to lift weights on his own at LA Fitness.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 05:36:29 PM »
strength coach has been fired.  Plenty of time to lift weights on his own at LA Fitness.
Fired, but with a $300K settlement.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 07:01:53 PM »
Fired, but with a $300K settlement.
Yes, but...it is fully taxable income...and the rest will be paid to attorneys who will be defending him in the lawsuit wave coming....a former employee is on his own nickel in this type of case.
Likely he is out of D1 work for a while...maybe needs to apply to Last Chance U...they seem to like yelling there
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 07:13:06 PM »
The "win at any cost" culture in many football programs needs to change. Football does not need to be a barbaric game, it isn't Braveheart.

Maryland should use what happened as a way to lead the charge on changes, but I doubt they will do anything besides blame a few bad actors (and especially not themselves). Problem is that they encouraged this by hiring and keeping the staff. Abusive coaches are anything but "sudden"; these are people that have long histories of abusive coaching. Just because other organizations accept it as "a part of the game", doesn't make it acceptable. Winning doesn't make it acceptable, either.

As a football coach myself, I'm continually saddened by those involved in the game that use it as an outlet for their disturbing aggression and psychological issues.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
As a football coach myself, I'm continually saddened by those involved in the game that use it as an outlet for their disturbing aggression and psychological issues.

That's like saying you're saddened by lung cancer patients who resort to smoking cigarettes to cope with stress. 

Do you think that perhaps football had something to do with said aggression and psychological issues?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 02:08:03 AM »
That's like saying you're saddened by lung cancer patients who resort to smoking cigarettes to cope with stress. 

Do you think that perhaps football had something to do with said aggression and psychological issues?

I typically find your posts very insightful, but you're really speculating wildly here. There are surely some coaches that experience lingering effects, but to apply that theory onto all coaches is such a giant leap that it's barely even worth discussing. And even if you could make that giant leap, it doesn't reconcile that those coaches should still not be involved with molding young men. You also conveniently forget that these coaches tend to only display this behavior while on the field; I've known many that have very successful careers and happy families, and their anger is predominantly focused on the field. If your theory added up, then this behavior would be seen elsewhere.

I can tell you tried pretty hard to make a good analogy, but it doesn't actually make sense.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 08:22:51 AM »
Also I don't believe that the Maryland S&C coach ever played football.  At least not at the college level.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 09:30:36 AM »
Maryland made a show of announcing that water and ice would be available for players yesterday.  What buffoons.  I get pushing players and avoiding breaks to "toughen" players up.  But denying water or the idea that water breaks make you weak is some misguided moronic old school nonsense

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »

I typically find your posts very insightful, but you're really speculating wildly here. There are surely some coaches that experience lingering effects, but to apply that theory onto all coaches is such a giant leap that it's barely even worth discussing. And even if you could make that giant leap, it doesn't reconcile that those coaches should still not be involved with molding young men. You also conveniently forget that these coaches tend to only display this behavior while on the field; I've known many that have very successful careers and happy families, and their anger is predominantly focused on the field. If your theory added up, then this behavior would be seen elsewhere.

I can tell you tried pretty hard to make a good analogy, but it doesn't actually make sense.

To be clear, the analogy wasn't applying the effects of CTE (and the implied follow-through) to all coaches as not everyone who smokes contracts lung cancer (and even of those who do, not all go back to smoking).  But it's now a known fact that football players have a greater tendency to suffer from CTE, and we also know that CTE can cause hyper-aggression and psychological issues.  Therefore, I don't believe it's much of a stretch to postulate that perhaps a few coaches out there are not quite coaching from a level surface potentially as a result of CTE's effects from their own playing days.  Again, not all.  Some coaches.  Which I believe is exactly what you were talking about (presuming "those" and "some" can be used interchangeably below:

That aside, I am genuinely curious as to how a youth football coach can lament such aggression and psychological issues all the while teaching children to play a sport that could end up sending perhaps one or two of them down that very path.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »
Maryland made a show of announcing that water and ice would be available for players yesterday.  What buffoons.  I get pushing players and avoiding breaks to "toughen" players up.  But denying water or the idea that water breaks make you weak is some misguided moronic old school nonsense

Coach Boone disagrees. And he integrated a Virgina football team and led them to a state title without their all-american linebacker and with a backup QB

https://gfycat.com/CavernousFelineGrouse

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 02:43:28 PM »
Coach Boone disagrees. And he integrated a Virgina football team and led them to a state title without their all-american linebacker and with a backup QB

Yeah, I love that movie, but I rewatched it a year or two ago and there are definitely some not so great moments in it. Still one of my favorites though
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 02:58:41 PM »

Sunshine was the original Tom Brady.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 04:57:25 PM »
Sunshine was the original Tom Brady.
'Cept I don't think Brady ever ran the pitch option, or played both ways in the 2H.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

jesmu84

• All American

feedback