Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Major NCAA Changes: Agents, Returns If Not Drafted  (Read 31163 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Major NCAA Changes: Agents, Returns If Not Drafted
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2018, 12:29:42 AM »
College basketball is not near the quality it used to be since guys left early for the NBA.  No one can say this with a straight face. 

College basketball is near the quality it used to be since guys left early for the NBA.

You can't see it but I promise I said it with a straight face.

The game evolves, always has, always will. I am not really for or against transfers sitting, I just think it needs to be grounded in the mission of academics first. If you are going to make transfers sit, then make jucos, grads, and even freshmen sit. If the reason is that it would be inconvenient to some programs than that doesn't really resonate with me.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2018, 09:14:50 AM »
College basketball is not near the quality it used to be since guys left early for the NBA.  No one can say this with a straight face.  Early departures and kids jumping straight to the NBA has not helped the college game.  I'm ok with the latter, however, if it means something like the hockey or baseball rule.

IMHO open transfers will lead to tampering, full scale free agency and hurt the middle class teams.  Why hang around at Loyola to see if you are good if you are a senior and can fit into a power program.  Devastating effects for the college game. Will make it even more of the 1% dominating the sport. 

edit

“It would turn into one of the dirtiest recruiting periods that you’ve ever seen,” said Archie Miller. “You’ll have guys talking to your players when they are in your gym. Coaches will recruit players right after games and now you can go directly to the source, it would cripple teams and programs.”

“I think it’s ridiculous,” Chris Mack  “There’s a constant narrative on social media about the mass exodus of kids and how it’s appalling so many kids opt to transfer.  So now we want to make it easier to transfer? I don’t see any logic in that line of thinking. Doesn’t surprise me, but it’s a step in the wrong direction in my opinion. I transferred years ago and I sat out a year. Did me a world of good. It's not the negative people make it out to be.”

“It makes it impossible to build a program,” Christian (Mt. St. Mary's Coach) said when asked about the potential rule. “These kids are going to choose your school, looking for an opportunity to move up every year.  It’s going to impact everyone.   You won’t be able to have depth. I don’t know if high majors think that, but I think it’ll impact every single program because if guys don’t play they’ll leave. Everyone becomes a JUCO. It’s going to impact everyone.”

“The power 5 will be doing most of their recruiting off the other teams,” said Middle Tennessee State coach Kermit Davis.  “Recruiting on each other's campus, ridiculous,” Davis said. “Will bring in college coaches Wrestle Mania.”  “Will be the worst rule in the history of college hoops"

1. I disagree completely that it would have a devastating effect, chicos2, and you can't prove that it would.

2. All of the gentlemen you quoted have ulterior motives. Many of these me-first coaches also want to get rid of the grad-transfer rule - they want to close the one loophole that actually favors the athletes.

You remember the athletes, right? They're the unpaid dudes who make it possible for the coaches - and the entire college basketball industrial complex - to line their pockets.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »
College basketball is near the quality it used to be since guys left early for the NBA.

You can't see it but I promise I said it with a straight face.

The game evolves, always has, always will. I am not really for or against transfers sitting, I just think it needs to be grounded in the mission of academics first. If you are going to make transfers sit, then make jucos, grads, and even freshmen sit. If the reason is that it would be inconvenient to some programs than that doesn't really resonate with me.

I come from an era where players like Patrick Ewing, Laettner, Walton, Manning, Ferry, Augmon, May, Robinson, Reddick, David Rivers, Alford, Bias, Maravich, Sampson, and countless others played through their eligibility.  Even guys like Shaq and Michael Jordan played 3 years.  The depth and quality of the teams was substantially better in my view.  The amount of quality players and play that leaves early, unfortunately all too often not playing much in the NBA early on, has devalued the college game.  You can't have talent drain like that and not have it impact the game.

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2018, 08:40:24 AM »
1. I disagree completely that it would have a devastating effect, chicos2, and you can't prove that it would.

2. All of the gentlemen you quoted have ulterior motives. Many of these me-first coaches also want to get rid of the grad-transfer rule - they want to close the one loophole that actually favors the athletes.

You remember the athletes, right? They're the unpaid dudes who make it possible for the coaches - and the entire college basketball industrial complex - to line their pockets.

Are you saying the coaches I listed want to get rid of the grad transfer rule?  Do you have evidence of this?  Mack, as stated, was a transfer player himself.

Yes, I am aware of the student athletes.  We have one in my family since graduated, we went through the process in a non revenue spot.  My view is that my child benefited greatly from the system in place with an immense opportunity to have their education paid for, solid coaching, travel, and all the other perks that go with it.  It isn't easy, these student athletes put in long hours, often are stars on their high school teams that do not play much in the early years of college, but life lessons are taught. 

College basketball players are not unpaid dudes. What is the value of a scholarship at Marquette?  What is the value of a college degree over the course of a lifetime? What is the value of their experience, the people they meet to prolong their dream, the travels they take?   If there was no value, how would so many of these guys make millions after college if it weren't for the college proving grounds?  Would they do this on the AAU courts?  The public hoops courts of New York?
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2018, 09:51:59 AM »
Are you saying the coaches I listed want to get rid of the grad transfer rule?  Do you have evidence of this?  Mack, as stated, was a transfer player himself.

Yes, I am aware of the student athletes.  We have one in my family since graduated, we went through the process in a non revenue spot.  My view is that my child benefited greatly from the system in place with an immense opportunity to have their education paid for, solid coaching, travel, and all the other perks that go with it.  It isn't easy, these student athletes put in long hours, often are stars on their high school teams that do not play much in the early years of college, but life lessons are taught. 

College basketball players are not unpaid dudes. What is the value of a scholarship at Marquette?  What is the value of a college degree over the course of a lifetime? What is the value of their experience, the people they meet to prolong their dream, the travels they take?   If there was no value, how would so many of these guys make millions after college if it weren't for the college proving grounds?  Would they do this on the AAU courts?  The public hoops courts of New York?

zzzzzzz

chicos2, as usual, lots of words to say nothing of substance.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2018, 10:13:16 AM »
zzzzzzz

It's not Chicos.  The Cubs W flag is a clear indicator of it.  Chicos is an Angels fan.  Duh.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Bocephys

• All American

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2018, 10:17:14 PM »
zzzzzzz

You asked if I was aware of the student athlete.  The answer is yes, because of one my kids was one.  I answered your question directly.
— Plato

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2018, 10:26:51 PM »
You asked if I was aware of the student athlete.  The answer is yes, because of one my kids was one.  I answered your question directly.

Cool, c2. One of my kids was a college athlete, too. (D3 hoops.) So I guess we're both aware!

What I really asked you to do was prove that transfers being eligible without sitting out a year would damage college basketball. You couldn't. Nobody can. I admit I can't prove the opposite, either. I stated an opinion, as did you. Your opinion was no more "factual" than mine or TAMU's or wades or anybody else's.

As my uncle used to say: You're allowed to have an opinion just like anybody else is ... no matter how wrong yours might be!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2018, 11:44:49 AM »
zzzzzzz

Feels more like 500, hey?
Goal is National Championship

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »
It's not Chicos.  The Cubs W flag is a clear indicator of it.  Chicos is an Angels fan.  Duh.
I'm convinced.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2018, 01:27:55 PM »
According to the NCAA, about 40% of all men's basketball players who enter Division I right out of high school leave their initial college by the end of their sophomore year.

If you think the current "year in residence" rule discourages transfers, I'd encourage you think again. If players aren't happy somewhere, they're going to transfer. Whether they have to sit out a year or not. My theory is that the rule accomplishes nothing and we would see absolutely no difference in transfer rates if it went away.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2018, 01:49:45 PM »
According to the NCAA, about 40% of all men's basketball players who enter Division I right out of high school leave their initial college by the end of their sophomore year.

If you think the current "year in residence" rule discourages transfers, I'd encourage you think again. If players aren't happy somewhere, they're going to transfer. Whether they have to sit out a year or not. My theory is that the rule accomplishes nothing and we would see absolutely no difference in transfer rates if it went away.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-transfer-division-i-men-s-basketball

Not sure I'd agree with "absolute no difference," but I do not think it would be huge, and I definitely do not think it would irreparably damage college basketball, as others do.

The truly great difference-making players are going to the NBA, not to other college programs.

Most very good players would be happy where they are because it's there they became very good.

You'd have the same guys transferring without having to sit out as you do now: kids who no longer like their coach; kids who want to start and/or get more PT; kids who want to be closer to home; bad actors who think the world should revolve around them; kids whose coach left for another program; etc.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2018, 09:28:02 PM »
Cool, c2. One of my kids was a college athlete, too. (D3 hoops.) So I guess we're both aware!

What I really asked you to do was prove that transfers being eligible without sitting out a year would damage college basketball. You couldn't. Nobody can. I admit I can't prove the opposite, either. I stated an opinion, as did you. Your opinion was no more "factual" than mine or TAMU's or wades or anybody else's.

As my uncle used to say: You're allowed to have an opinion just like anybody else is ... no matter how wrong yours might be!

Yes, theses are opinions. Let's have some fun. To my knowledge division 3 doesn't have scholarships making it a little different, but in the ballpark. With your child did you feel they were exploited or not compensated in some way because of no scholarship? We didn't feel that way in our situation, but a scholarship was provided.

We were probably talking past each other as the only sentence I saw with a question mark was the one I answered.

To answer your new question, my opinion is similar to those coaches.  Already we see this with the grad transfer rule where kids leave mid level programs to higher level their last year.  Without sitting out a year, that then happens constantly. 40% transfer rates become 65% or 70%.  I do not believe that is healthy for college basketball, in my opinion.  I cannot prove it, but I would offer those coaches as expert witnesses in what would happen and the negative consequences that would follow.
— Plato

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2018, 11:11:05 PM »
To answer your new question, my opinion is similar to those coaches.  Already we see this with the grad transfer rule where kids leave mid level programs to higher level their last year.  Without sitting out a year, that then happens constantly. 40% transfer rates become 65% or 70%.  I do not believe that is healthy for college basketball, in my opinion.  I cannot prove it, but I would offer those coaches as expert witnesses in what would happen and the negative consequences that would follow.

I have been tracking grad transfers extensively for the last four years. Nowhere close to 65-70% of players who are grad transfer eligible use a grad transfer.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2018, 06:01:13 AM »
Yes, theses are opinions. Let's have some fun. To my knowledge division 3 doesn't have scholarships making it a little different, but in the ballpark. With your child did you feel they were exploited or not compensated in some way because of no scholarship? We didn't feel that way in our situation, but a scholarship was provided.

We were probably talking past each other as the only sentence I saw with a question mark was the one I answered.

Most (not all, but the vast majority of) D3 players have no chance to play at an athletic scholarship level; the few who do might get a partial scholly at D2. Very, very, very, very, very few D1-scholarship-level athletes opt to play D3.

My daughter had no chance at an athletic scholarship. She knew going in exactly what she was in for as a D3 basketball player. Also, she was not a moneymaker for the school. And when the combination of athletics and high-level academics got too heavy for her, she stopped playing, leaving the team after her sophomore season to concentrate on her studies. Making that decision did not cost her a penny of the academic scholarship she received. So no, I don't think she was exploited. But, as you well know, D3 is not D1, and this is an apples-to-pomegranate comparison. Schools don't make money off the backs of star athletes in D3. Indeed, athletics are "loss leaders" for D3 schools. There's nothing to exploit.

As for the second part of your comment, I will defer to Brother TAMU ...

I have been tracking grad transfers extensively for the last four years. Nowhere close to 65-70% of players who are grad transfer eligible use a grad transfer.

c2, you almost surely are inflating your hypothetical numbers to make your point.

Again, maybe I went over the top asking guys to "prove" their opinions-stated-kinda-as-facts, but this sort of is an example of why I did that.

You pull numbers out of your rectal cavity and the rest of us are supposed to go, "Yeah, uh-huh, maybe he has a point."

But your point is that you want to be "right," and it would appear that you're not, despite the "stats" you throw out there.

And again, the coaches you quote have ulterior motives. They might be "expert witnesses" but they also are extremely biased ones. I'm pretty sure that if you asked pro sports coaches 40 years ago if unfettered free agency would cause significant damage to their sports, those "expert witnesses" would have said yes. They'd have been biased, too. And they'd have been wrong, as well -- at least so far.

If the NCAA changed the transfer rule tomorrow, allowing D1 scholarship athletes to be free agents every year -- just as coaches are, just as scholarship violinists and scholarship pre-med students are -- it would not materially damage college basketball. The coaches and programs would adjust, just as they have for every major rule change over the years.

All IMHO, of course.

And thanks. That was "some fun."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »
I think there should be a GPA requirement to avoid the sit out year. Like a 3.5 or something.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »
I think there should be a GPA requirement to avoid the sit out year. Like a 3.5 or something.

That is a rule that would be abused constantly. 

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2018, 10:55:57 AM »

I can see how you interpreted it that way as it was poorly written by me.  It was late, almost midnight.  Let me try again.

What is happening already today with the grad transfer rules are kids leaving mid level programs where they have played their career and then they bounce to a higher level. The Cleveland State example in the second article below illustrates it well. I'm not against that opportunity, but it does hurt the school that invested money, time, resources into those kids.    Separately, the current  transfer rate is 40% per the NCAA.   I'm not saying grad transfer rate is 40%, but rather all DI basketball transfer rate shows 40% will transfer to another school by the end of their sophomore year.  In my opinion, that 40% moves to 65% or 70% if kids do not have to sit. Kids are on record saying they didn't transfer because they didn't want to sit out (and often were happy they stuck it out and didn't transfer), therefore it suppresses what the rate would become without sitting.  Free agency would also destroy mid major basketball, just ask the mid major coaches.  Farm systems would be created, no more Loyola Chicago runs.

I get the sense some people want to burn it all down because they enjoy doing those things.

Articles to Support My Argument (some factual data, some opinions from experts in the field)
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:12:40 AM by WarriorDad »
    — Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
    « Reply #69 on: August 18, 2018, 11:03:28 AM »

If the NCAA changed the transfer rule tomorrow, allowing D1 scholarship athletes to be free agents every year -- just as coaches are, just as scholarship violinists and scholarship pre-med students are -- it would not materially damage college basketball. The coaches and programs would adjust, just as they have for every major rule change over the years.

Experts in their field disagree, but that is only their expert opinion.  Today transfer rates are 40% per the NCAA.  If free agency, predictions from experts in the field are up to double that.  I provided a number of articles from experts in their field to back my opinion which I share with those experts in the field.  Using simple logic, if today the rate is 40% requiring student athlete to sit, it will undoubtedly with 99.999999% certainty be much higher with no restrictions of sitting.  How is that good for college basketball? Especially for smaller schools that have to work that much harder to take chances on kids to come play for them?  You effectively, in my opinion, will eliminate the Loyola of Chicago runs again.  Why would a Dwyane Wade stick around to play at MU, if Kentucky calls?  A farm system will be created, effectively destroying college basketball in my opinion.  One of the articles says ruin college basketball, those would be my words, too. 

Don't believe me about the Loyola example?  Ask their coach, Porter Moses.

If the rule goes into effect, "mid-major schools would become "a farm club system" for power conferences," says Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson. Of course he's right, as the 'poaching' of better players from mid and low-majors would be a continuous cycle of corruption as major programs pick off the better players from smaller programs.

"I really think it's a dark day for our sport if it's just free agency," said Loyola coach Porter Moser.

It's a death sentence to mid and low-majors.

http://www.osga.com/online_gaming_articles.php?New-Proposed-Transfer-Rule-for-Immediate-Eligibility-Will-Destroy-College-Basketball-Mid-Majors-20521
    « Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:09:06 AM by WarriorDad »
    — Plato

GGGG

• All American
    « Reply #70 on: August 18, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
    Experts in their field disagree, but that is only their expert opinion.  Today transfer rates are 40% per the NCAA.  If free agency, predictions from experts in the field are up to double that.  I provided a number of articles from experts in their field to back my opinion which I share with those experts in the field.  Using simple logic, if today the rate is 40% requiring student athlete to sit, it will undoubtedly with 99.999999% certainty be much higher with no restrictions of sitting.  How is that good for college basketball? Especially for smaller schools that have to work that much harder to take chances on kids to come play for them?  You effectively, in my opinion, will eliminate the Loyola of Chicago runs again.  Why would a Dwyane Wade stick around to play at MU, if Kentucky calls?  A farm system will be created, effectively destroying college basketball in my opinion.  One of the articles says ruin college basketball, those would be my words, too. 

Don't believe me about the Loyola example?  Ask their coach, Porter Moses.

If the rule goes into effect, "mid-major schools would become "a farm club system" for power conferences," says Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson. Of course he's right, as the 'poaching' of better players from mid and low-majors would be a continuous cycle of corruption as major programs pick off the better players from smaller programs.

"I really think it's a dark day for our sport if it's just free agency," said Loyola coach Porter Moser.

It's a death sentence to mid and low-majors.

http://www.osga.com/online_gaming_articles.php?New-Proposed-Transfer-Rule-for-Immediate-Eligibility-Will-Destroy-College-Basketball-Mid-Majors-20521

Rights of the players are more important than mid-major basketball programs.  People like Moser should stop whining and do a better job of keeping their players interested in sticking around.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
    « Reply #71 on: August 18, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »

Rights of the players are more important than mid-major basketball programs.  People like Moser should stop whining and do a better job of keeping their players interested in sticking around.

I disagree that the preservation of competition and mid-majors is not important to the game.  The reason college b-ball remains a strong product is because David has a chance against the giant and it is cheaper than football for more schools to compete on the big stage. 

The blue bloods win if players can go anywhere year to year and anything that tilts the balance more in that direction is bad for the entirety of the game (in my opinion). 

The players rights are not unimportant, but i think there are better ways to blunt any hardship that potentially arises from having to sit out a year (like stipends or other)

GGGG

• All American
    « Reply #72 on: August 18, 2018, 11:49:52 AM »
    I think you vastly over-estimate the importance of mid-majors to college basketball.  I will also point out that the ratings for college football are much higher than those for college basketball.  People like the blue bloods.

And no I don't think the player's rights should be unlimited.  I have advocated one "free" transfer during a player's career.  That way the NCAA doesn't have to be in the waiver business. 

MU82

• All American
    « Reply #73 on: August 18, 2018, 12:17:15 PM »
    I basically agree with sultan, but I think everybody talking about this is overstating the effect it would have on mid-majors.

Players by and large would stay where they are happy, productive, well-coached, like their teammates, etc.

Unhappy players would transfer, as they do now. Same with players who want to be closer to home, players whose coaches leave, etc.

Stars would leave to go pro, as they do now.

Would there be some "poaching"? Probably. That's the cost of doing business, the cost of not treating the athletes like contractually bound employees -- employees are something the NCAA has gone to court to say the athletes aren't, BTW.

I'm a guy who firmly believes the athletes ARE the game and they deserve freedom to use their skills as they and their parents best see fit.

I am old enough to remember the predictions of the horrors that were going to happen to Major League Baseball after Messersmith and McNally in 1975 won the right to leave their teams when their contracts expired -- a legal ruling that introduced free agency to pro sports.

Please.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
    • Meat Eater certified
    « Reply #74 on: August 18, 2018, 01:14:32 PM »
      I can see how you interpreted it that way as it was poorly written by me.  It was late, almost midnight.  Let me try again.

What is happening already today with the grad transfer rules are kids leaving mid level programs where they have played their career and then they bounce to a higher level. The Cleveland State example in the second article below illustrates it well. I'm not against that opportunity, but it does hurt the school that invested money, time, resources into those kids.    Separately, the current  transfer rate is 40% per the NCAA.   I'm not saying grad transfer rate is 40%, but rather all DI basketball transfer rate shows 40% will transfer to another school by the end of their sophomore year.  In my opinion, that 40% moves to 65% or 70% if kids do not have to sit.
    I understood your point fine. But if the only thing keeping the transfer rate from jumping to 65-70% is the year in residence, then why is that not happening with grad transfers? Why are most of them staying put if they don't have the year in residence to keep them from transferring?

I do think transfer rates would increase, I don't think it is by the amount you or the articles you are quoting are guessing. And even it were to climb that high, I frankly don't care. College basketball would adjust like it always has. You say that mid-majors would struggle. I say they would be just fine. For every mid-major star that transfers up to the high majors, there is two high major players transferring down to mid-majors for more playing time and many of them become stars at that level.  Recruiting would change but it would not kill mid majors.

And again, I'm not necessarily against the year in residence. There are certainly academic benefits to it which is the only reason that should matter. But make it consistent. Make JUCOs, grads, and freshmen sit. Or if you can figure out the logistics, tie it to GPA. If a player a has certain GPA then waive the year in residence. Any argument that is based in "would make the coaches job harder" is of no concern IMHO.[/list]
    TAMU

feedback