[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Bears being Bears????  (Read 2738 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Bears being Bears????
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:44:09 PM »
As a fan of neither the Bears or Roquan Smith, what are the Bears trying to accomplish? Pace has really chosen this hill to die on?

The Bears want to put language in his contract that would allow the team to reclaim guaranteed money if the linebacker is suspended under the NFL's new helmet-contact rules - rules, mind you, that are way more confusing the the "catch" rule from the last several years. In other words, if he violates a rule that the refs don't even pretend to understand, the Bears want the right to take money away from him.

Here'a a link that shows why Rosenbloom is one of the worst reporters in the country.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-roquan-smith-contract-holdout-rosenbloom-20180730-story.html

GGGG

• All American
Re: Bears being Bears????
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 07:51:52 PM »
As a fan of neither the Bears or Roquan Smith, what are the Bears trying to accomplish? Pace has really chosen this hill to die on?

The Bears want to put language in his contract that would allow the team to reclaim guaranteed money if the linebacker is suspended under the NFL's new helmet-contact rules - rules, mind you, that are way more confusing the the "catch" rule from the last several years. In other words, if he violates a rule that the refs don't even pretend to understand, the Bears want the right to take money away from him.

Here'a a link that shows why Rosenbloom is one of the worst reporters in the country.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-roquan-smith-contract-holdout-rosenbloom-20180730-story.html

That article reads like a meathead’s bible.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 08:24:02 PM »
That article reads like a meathead’s bible.

:D it should be handed out on the first day of Journalism 101 with instructions that say “don’t ever do this”.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 09:26:21 PM »
My god thats bad.  The minute he starts to acceptably defend it from Smith's point of view, he swings right back with nonsense again.  Rosenbloom definitely seems like the kind of guy who calls younger players "boy".  I like the acknowledgement that the rules are murky at best, but then still claiming he wants to be rewarded for breaking the rules and getting special treatment  ::)

Oh, and always good to get another shot at blaming him for having his locked car broken into.  Just getting his dry powder stocked up to call Smith a bust if he doesn't start strong.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 07:42:42 AM »
Damn, I clicked holding out slim hope that this would be about bears and not Da Bears.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 10:37:25 AM »
Simple rule: Guaranteed means guaranteed.

You give me guaranteed money and I expect you to honor it. It's not guaranteed if you start loading clawbacks into the contract.

I get Mr. Smith's and his agent's concern. We have a huge new rule affecting hard-hitting linebackers, which the Bears love, and there's no clarity about how the NFL intends to enforce it. Plus, the Bears have been known to be an incredibly cheap organization.

Nobody's arguing the need for the rule, including, I suspect, Mr. Smith and his agent. What I suspect they're afraid of is the No Fun League bowing to political pressure and the Bears reacting by taking back a large percentage of his bonus.

Good luck on this one, McCaskeys. You'll need it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »

You give me guaranteed money and I expect you to honor it. It's not guaranteed if you start loading clawbacks into the contract.

I get Mr. Smith's and his agent's concern. We have a huge new rule affecting hard-hitting linebackers, which the Bears love, and there's no clarity about how the NFL intends to enforce it. Plus, the Bears have been known to be an incredibly cheap organization.

Nobody's arguing the need for the rule, including, I suspect, Mr. Smith and his agent. What I suspect they're afraid of is the No Fun League bowing to political pressure and the Bears reacting by taking back a large percentage of his bonus.

Good luck on this one, McCaskeys. You'll need it.

Guaranteed money should be guaranteed if you're playing the game within the rules. at the end of the day these changes are coming into effect for players own protection and there needs to be a way to incentivize players to follow it when they're young and think they're invincible
Maigh Eo for Sam

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »
Guaranteed money should be guaranteed if you're playing the game within the rules. at the end of the day these changes are coming into effect for players own protection and there needs to be a way to incentivize players to follow it when they're young and think they're invincible

The problem with the rules is that no one, including the officials, seems to fully understand them or how they'll be enforced. I'm not signing on to give back my guaranteed money for violating a very vague and confusing rule.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 10:05:25 AM »

There's a pretty big difference between taking off your helmet and using it as a club to try kill another player (outside the rules) and while moving at high speed my helmet made contact with the helmet of my opponent who is also moving at high speed (outside the rules).

I mean sure, incentives for players to adhere to safety standards are good. They already exist (fines). So an employer seeking to claw back contract guarantees in the event of a (very probable) occurrence is not trying to incentivize rule compliance, it is attempting to avoid paying a player as much as the CBA is forcing them to pay.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »

In general, I agree with this, but even the NFLPA has agreed to conduct standards in the CBA that can be referenced in contracts. How far do you take it though?

Regardless of how you fall on this question, however, I think this is a dumb move for the Bears. You are retarding, if not actual development, then at least the optics of development of a key defensive player who you need to make immediate contributions. For what? Protection against something with a maybe 5% chance of being an actual problem?

A no-win from the organization's perspective.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 12:08:58 PM »
In general, I agree with this, but even the NFLPA has agreed to conduct standards in the CBA that can be referenced in contracts. How far do you take it though?

Regardless of how you fall on this question, however, I think this is a dumb move for the Bears. You are retarding, if not actual development, then at least the optics of development of a key defensive player who you need to make immediate contributions. For what? Protection against something with a maybe 5% chance of being an actual problem?

A no-win from the organization's perspective.

That to me is what's nonsensical here.  Why are you dying on this hill?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 09:20:58 AM »
In an effort to end the contract impasse with first-round draft pick Roquan Smith, the Bears conceded they won’t go after his guaranteed money if the linebacker gets suspended under the NFL’s new rule legislating helmet contact, the Tribune has learned.

The Bears made this concession even before the recent public disclosure of the major sticking point, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. They are one of eight NFL teams willing to include contract language protecting a first-rounder’s guaranteed money if he’s suspended for an illegal hit, a source said.

But Smith remains away from training camp because his representatives at CAA Football have insisted the Bears go even further and include contract language protecting the player from discipline for behavior outside the realm of a football play. The Bears’ reluctance to do so revolves around their fear of setting a precedent for future contracts and has nothing to do with concerns about Smith’s character, the source said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-roquan-smith-contract-20180801-story.html

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 09:48:09 AM »
In an effort to end the contract impasse with first-round draft pick Roquan Smith, the Bears conceded they won’t go after his guaranteed money if the linebacker gets suspended under the NFL’s new rule legislating helmet contact, the Tribune has learned.

The Bears made this concession even before the recent public disclosure of the major sticking point, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. They are one of eight NFL teams willing to include contract language protecting a first-rounder’s guaranteed money if he’s suspended for an illegal hit, a source said.

But Smith remains away from training camp because his representatives at CAA Football have insisted the Bears go even further and include contract language protecting the player from discipline for behavior outside the realm of a football play. The Bears’ reluctance to do so revolves around their fear of setting a precedent for future contracts and has nothing to do with concerns about Smith’s character, the source said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-roquan-smith-contract-20180801-story.html

I'm glad the organization is not quite as dumb as it originally looked, but this doesn't change my position too much. Just because it is an uncommon request in rookie contacts right now, it probably won't within a few years.

Don't want to guarantee money to someone who might break the law outside of work? Then don't guarantee money in any contracts. Let me know how that works out for you, Mr. Owner.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria