'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fun combinations for next year  (Read 6449 times)

tower912

• All American
Fun combinations for next year
« on: July 09, 2018, 10:58:34 AM »
1.  Markus, Cain, Sam, Joey, Bailey.    4 3's and a 1.    All of whom can hit from distance.   Cain on the floor to guard two's.
2. Greg, JC, Anim, Cain, Morrow.     All mauler small defensive team that can switch 5 positions.   Press team?
3.  JC, Theo, Cain, Sam, Joey.     A good one to spread out and play some of that Syracuse zone in.   Long up top, long wings, shot blocker in the middle. 
4.  JC, Markus, Sam, Morrow, Heldt.    The starting 5 at the start of the season.   
5.   Up one late and need a stop team....  Against a team with a quality big, Theo, Morrow, JC, Cain, Sam or Sacar
Against a perimeter team,   See 2, though Sam might have to be on the floor for leadership after the rebound
6.   Down two late and need a big shot..... See 1.
7.  Beating the press team..... JC, Markus, Sam, Joey, and anybody who can finish at the rim. 

So....... many........ options.........
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Fun combinations for next year
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
Great stuff Tower. Only nit is #5. At least last season, Theo was a much worse defender than Matt. He got the highlight blocks, but if he didn't get that, a bucket or foul was almost a guarantee. Got have the Milkman on the floor in that situation.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 11:13:13 AM »
Its hard to even figure out how things will play out.  But I do think we'll see an awful lot of JC, Markus, Sam and Morrow on the court together.  Old, experienced and multi-dimensional.  Something Wojo has not had yet. 

But so many options to fill in the gaps after that.  I am excited. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »
1.  Markus, Cain, Sam, Joey, Bailey.    4 3's and a 1.    All of whom can hit from distance.   Cain on the floor to guard two's.
2. Greg, JC, Anim, Cain, Morrow.     All mauler small defensive team that can switch 5 positions.   Press team?
3.  JC, Theo, Cain, Sam, Joey.     A good one to spread out and play some of that Syracuse zone in.   Long up top, long wings, shot blocker in the middle. 
4.  JC, Markus, Sam, Morrow, Heldt.    The starting 5 at the start of the season.   
5.   Up one late and need a stop team....  Against a team with a quality big, Theo, Morrow, JC, Cain, Sam or Sacar
Against a perimeter team,   See 2, though Sam might have to be on the floor for leadership after the rebound
7.  Beating the press team..... JC, Markus, Sam, Joey, and anybody who can finish at the rim. 

I swear I didn't look at this before posting that exact lineup (I think) in your base defense thread as ideal for pressing.

Also, zone is perfect for Theo. Hide his lack of lateral quickness the way we did with Luke in 2015 while letting him stay put and block/alter shots.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:47:59 PM »
Poor matt

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »
I think Matt starts and plays 15-18 a game.   Not an indictment of Matt.    A reflection of very long, deep team.   Matt was never destined to be a star.    He has been what I thought he would be.    A program big who has improved every year who is physical with other physical bigs.     His character and leadership have been the bonus.   
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 01:48:37 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2018, 02:00:12 PM »
I think Matt starts and plays 15-18 a game.   Not an indictment of Matt.    A reflection of very long, deep team.   Matt was never destined to be a star.    He has been what I thought he would be.    A program big who has improved every year who is physical with other physical bigs.     His character and leadership have been the bonus.
Heldt averaged 19.4 minutes in BE play this past season.  You’re probably right on the 15-18 mpg.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 04:17:16 PM »

Good thinking, though I have an issue with 6. If, as an opponent, I was up two late, and MU had that team on the floor, I'd press, as there's no dependable ball handler. For me, I'd swap out Bailey and put in JC.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2018, 04:34:03 PM »
Nice post...good ideas. I like the idea of a lock down defensive unit...maybe even practicing as such with special intent (pressing, trapping, etc... ). The idea of specialized units might even be a strategy to keep guys happy.

But these are not just chess pieces and Wojo the chess master...they are young men who want to play...want minutes. They will compete and some will win...but at what point do one or two or even three find a different place. No one is evil here. We've seen it before.

Too many quality players...you'd think something has got to give.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »
Good thinking, though I have an issue with 6. If, as an opponent, I was up two late, and MU had that team on the floor, I'd press, as there's no dependable ball handler. For me, I'd swap out Bailey and put in JC.

Sam was excellent as a press breaker last season. All that height around him in that lineup, I think they would break the press just fine.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2018, 05:09:56 PM »
Can’t wait for
M2N
Samuel
BB
Joey
Ed
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2018, 06:16:42 PM »
Sam was excellent as a press breaker last season. All that height around him in that lineup, I think they would break the press just fine.

Fair point. Changing up my point a bit, what would Bailey bring to that lineup that JC wouldn't? Are we expecting Bailey to be a better 3-pt shooter than Bailey JC? If not, I'd like having a distributor like JC for that scenario where we need to get the ball for an open (hopefully) 3-pt shot.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 04:18:49 AM by mug644 »

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2018, 06:45:42 PM »
Fair point. Changing up my point a bit, what would Bailey bring to that lineup that JC wouldn't? Are we expecting Bailey to be a better 3-pt shooter than Bailey? If not, I'd like having a distributor like JC for that scenario where we need to get the ball for an open (hopefully) 3-pt shot.

I'm expecting Bailey to be Bailey's equal.  :)

leever

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2018, 06:59:28 PM »
That's one of the things that makes this team so dangerous - interchangeable parts.  Either Bailey or Bailey can play multiple positions and they are both working on the 3 ball.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2018, 11:10:39 PM »
Great post. Deepest roster in many seasons. Coupled with the new stadium could make for a special year. The season can’t get here fast enough!

mug644

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2018, 04:22:17 AM »
I'm expecting Bailey to be Bailey's equal.  :)

This will be further proof of Wojo's coaching chops.

That's one of the things that makes this team so dangerous - interchangeable parts.  Either Bailey or Bailey can play multiple positions and they are both working on the 3 ball.

How do you defend that?

Mistake made, mistake acknowledged, mistake corrected.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2018, 08:28:12 AM »
Tower912,
I was thrown off for a minute as I thought I missed a Marquette game last night and was excited as always to see the Tower912 post-game comments!

onepost

• All American
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »
Can’t wait for
M2N
Samuel
BB
Joey
Ed

Yep, it's coming.  Maybe my favorite lineup for the season.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2018, 10:20:56 AM »
Yep, it's coming.  Maybe my favorite lineup for the season.

You can also go:

Markus
Jamal
Sam
Joey
Ed

Or just go full lineup of death:

Markus
Jamal
Sam
Brendan
Joey

onepost

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2018, 10:31:38 AM »
You can also go:

Markus
Jamal
Sam
Joey
Ed

Or just go full lineup of death:

Markus
Jamal
Sam
Brendan
Joey

Absolutely, I forgot to mention the ability to switch Brendan with Jamal and have the same lineup makeup.
In my time as a Marquette fan/student/alum I can't think of a team that has had this much flexibility.  So exciting.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2018, 11:46:19 AM »
Markus
Joe
Sam
Joey
Ed

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 12:24:25 PM »
Am I in the minority by thinking that our best line-up will include Matt.  Until I actually see Ed, Ike, or Joey play defense I feel confident in saying that Matt is our best post defender.  Yes he struggled in the pick N roll, but so did everyone.  Offensively, he won't make many mistakes, and while sometimes I wish he would be more aggressive and take more shots, being passive isn't a bad thing with the shooters we have.  I realize that this year we have more post options with "sexier" skill sets, but unless you're the Harlem Globetrotters you can afford to have a "boring" center.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
Am I in the minority by thinking that our best line-up will include Matt.  Until I actually see Ed, Ike, or Joey play defense I feel confident in saying that Matt is our best post defender.  Yes he struggled in the pick N roll, but so did everyone.  Offensively, he won't make many mistakes, and while sometimes I wish he would be more aggressive and take more shots, being passive isn't a bad thing with the shooters we have.  I realize that this year we have more post options with "sexier" skill sets, but unless you're the Harlem Globetrotters you can afford to have a "boring" center.

I agree with you -- and I think the advanced stats say he wasn't even that bad at PNR.

The more post moves you see against skilled bigs, the better you become at defending them.
Theo and Ike will get there, but Matt is better right now.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 12:35:40 PM »
Tower912,
I was thrown off for a minute as I thought I missed a Marquette game last night and was excited as always to see the Tower912 post-game comments!

Practicing. 

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 10:26:11 AM »
Would love to see a healthy dose of Chartouny, Cain, Hauser, Hauser, Morrow

6'3" / 6'7" / 6'8" / 6'9" / 6'8"

Dripping with length & skill