[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU Royalty  (Read 24413 times)

real chili 83

• All American
Re: MU Royalty
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 08:43:28 PM »
Yep, 50-1 as a varsity player. And I think we finished his freshman year ranked #8 and won the NIT. With Jim in the middle that team might have taken it all.

Incredible

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46:14 PM »
I remember Dean playing cards with George Thompson, Blanton Simmons and Ric Cobb in my apartment. they were fun to watch. George bet 24, and said that's my number.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 09:36:48 PM »
Incredibly, he lost only one game. Also, he played 2.8 seasons counting his freshman year.  More than #3.

Should Kentucky retire Anthony Davis' jersey?
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »

Didn't he play football for USC?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2018, 10:23:03 AM »

Should Doc, Wade or Lucas have been retired because they left early too (under your criteria)?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2018, 10:25:09 AM »
Wade and Lucas. Doc should not be retired, IMO.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »

Goose

Agree 100%. Neither Doc's individual or team accomplishment's merit it.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
Should Doc, Wade or Lucas have been retired because they left early too (under your criteria)?

My criteria was not leaving early.  wade played two full seasons, if Chones had stayed that season and led us to a FF Is be all for it. I don't think Doc should be retired, he played on three average teams, I mean Vander has more success to his name.

Let me make this simple for what my criteria would be: at least a Final Four, at least 50% of your collegiate career played at MU. That means the only players I think should be retired are wade, Lucas, Ellis, Tatum. That's not an indictment of the skill set of Kojis, rivers, Chones, meminger, Thompson etc. but the two things that matter to me are tournament results and allegiance to MU.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 10:55:40 AM »
Goose

Agree 100%. Neither Doc's individual or team accomplishment's merit it.

Ahah, dat's write, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 11:34:55 AM »
Hurler

Do you have ANY idea what you are talking about? Maybe you should read up on the history of the program before you post on big boy topics.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »
Hurler

Do you have ANY idea what you are talking about? Maybe you should read up on the history of the program before you post on big boy topics.

?-( well aren't you nice today

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 11:57:12 AM »
Hurler

Goose generally I respect you, sometimes you can be negative or sensitive when called out for being negative and a bit condescending but I've never found you to be an a$$ till today which seems out of character. Now if you'd like to act like a "big boy" and discuss what criteria you'd set in a in an adult fashion then I'm more than happy to.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:10:40 PM by BagpipingHurler »
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 02:03:07 PM »
Hurler

I believe too many guys have retired numbers at MU. Possibly your omission of Butch Lee from the retired list rubbed me the wrong way. My criteria is likely similar to yours, with some exceptions. For example, if Wade had not made FF, he would be a sure bet retired number.

If I came across as an ass, my apologies.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 02:16:15 PM »
Hurler

I believe too many guys have retired numbers at MU. Possibly your omission of Butch Lee from the retired list rubbed me the wrong way. My criteria is likely similar to yours, with some exceptions. For example, if Wade had not made FF, he would be a sure bet retired number.

If I came across as an ass, my apologies.

Lee was simply an oversight. I feel as though the criteria I stated should've set that straight. wade sans FF would've been an interesting one and I agree it would've been hard to not retire him but I believe in a black and white cutoff line so there's never an argument when it comes to these things.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2018, 02:24:20 PM »
Lee was simply an oversight. I feel as though the criteria I stated should've set that straight. wade sans FF would've been an interesting one and I agree it would've been hard to not retire him but I believe in a black and white cutoff line so there's never an argument when it comes to these things.

We're not splitting atoms here.  There can be all sorts of shades of gray with things like this.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2018, 02:44:11 PM »

We're not splitting atoms here.  There can be all sorts of shades of gray with things like this.

Agreed. Why should George Thompson having his number retired depend upon whether Rick Mount makes or misses the game winner in 1969?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »

Ok then what criteria would you set? I feel it's very easy to say this player should this player shouldn't be till you realize that not everyone will agree with each player and that there's only a finite number of usable numbers anyways. That's why I tried to keep it selective and simple.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 03:03:56 PM »
Ok then what criteria would you set? I feel it's very easy to say this player should this player shouldn't be till you realize that not everyone will agree with each player and that there's only a finite number of usable numbers anyways. That's why I tried to keep it selective and simple.

If he was one of the top players to ever wear the jersey, then he get's it retired.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »

If he was one of the top players to ever wear the jersey, then he get's it retired.

Henry's going up in the rafters then?  Best Freshman ever to wear the jersey.

Rowsey?  Best single season scoring ever in an MU jersey.

There should be more to it than that.  Some level of postseason success needs to be a factor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Henry's going up in the rafters then?  Best Freshman ever to wear the jersey.

Rowsey?  Best single season scoring ever in an MU jersey.

There should be more to it than that.  Some level of postseason success needs to be a factor.

I wouldn't call either Henry or Rowsey one of the best to ever wear the jersey.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2018, 03:12:52 PM »

So Hurler's provided us the young alum's criteria.  What are the Al alums thoughts about #22 hanging from the rafters? 

Crean wanted Doc's retired as he was trying to recruit his sons while trying to suckle at his test (and Bo's 31 was already raised so resistance would be less).  Plus, he was messing with George around that time. Shameful.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 03:16:50 PM »

I wouldn't call either Henry or Rowsey one of the best to ever wear the jersey.

Stats would disagree with you.  Henry is statistically the best Freshman ever in an MU jersey.  Rowsey put up more points in a season that anyone ever has in an MU jersey.  Again, some level of postseason success needs to be considered when putting number in the rafters, both Henry and Rowsey lack that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »
Stats would disagree with you.  Henry is statistically the best Freshman ever in an MU jersey.  Rowsey put up more points in a season that anyone ever has in an MU jersey.  Again, some level of postseason success needs to be considered when putting number in the rafters, both Henry and Rowsey lack that.

No stats do not disagree with me.  I never said best over one year - especially freshman year. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 03:23:34 PM »
We aren't KY and we also don't need to create perfect rules for this.

Plain and simple, if we can retire #11 we can certainly get over the fact that Chones left before the season was out because the ABA and NBA were fighting for talent. 

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 03:25:16 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 03:41:56 PM »

No stats do not disagree with me.  I never said best over one year - especially freshman year.

Then it goes back to Pipers question about how long a player needs to wear the MU jersey.  Clearly in your opinion it takes more than one year, no matter how good that year was.  Either way more clarity needs to be applied to your "top players to ever wear the jersey".  I'll ask again, should postseason success be considered?  I would say yes, Markus can possibly leave the programs all time leading scorer, buy a significant margin too.  But if he never plays past the first weekend in the tourney, it should be unanimous that "0" ain't getting raised.