[June 09, 2024, 08:44:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by 4everwarriors
[June 09, 2024, 08:25:23 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Arby's National Roast Beef Day Deal by oldwarrior81
[June 09, 2024, 05:24:39 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One of the Greatest Pictures Ever  (Read 10274 times)

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: One of the Greatest Pictures Ever
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
2002, The fact is MU is not hurting for cash even with the nickname change. The MAGIS campaign that was just completed was a huge success and recently MU has had terrific results in obtaining huge donations (Law School, College of Comm., College of Engineering). I just don't see a group of precarious alums coming together and influencing a major change by withholding donations.

I understand your point regarding people that are constantly bringing up the nickname. It is tiresome to hear, especially when you realize that no matter how much they complain about it, there will be no change in policy. However, where else can they go to air their dissatisfaction. MU isn't interested in opening up the debate ... I think PRN agenda is quite clear, to continue to express his discontentment over the nickname and keep the issue alive. Honestly, what other actions can he take. I may disagree with him, but this forum is about MU and he has the right to talk about this issue.

Unfortunately, we also have one of the smallest endowments of any comparable school. SLU, DePaul, Georgetown, just go down the list, have larger endowments than we do and if we were the Warriors, we wouldn't have one ND's size, but it would be much larger than it is now.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2008, 05:00:08 PM »

My point is that in the future, who's to say PETA doesn't come out and find the GE's as being offensive?  And if at that point we fold AGAIN, I'd be more pissed than I am now

I'm making reference to the epidemic that's ruining our nation.

hahaha, i don't care if you were joking or serious.  those two lines made me laugh my ass off.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2008, 05:24:24 PM »
it is an epedimic to some extents though. The FSU Seminoles are only safe because the Seminole nation said they can't change the name.  The PCness of today's society is borderline sickening.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2008, 09:06:18 AM »
2002, The fact is MU is not hurting for cash even with the nickname change. The MAGIS campaign that was just completed was a huge success and recently MU has had terrific results in obtaining huge donations (Law School, College of Comm., College of Engineering). I just don't see a group of precarious alums coming together and influencing a major change by withholding donations.

I understand your point regarding people that are constantly bringing up the nickname. It is tiresome to hear, especially when you realize that no matter how much they complain about it, there will be no change in policy. However, where else can they go to air their dissatisfaction. MU isn't interested in opening up the debate ... I think PRN agenda is quite clear, to continue to express his discontentment over the nickname and keep the issue alive. Honestly, what other actions can he take. I may disagree with him, but this forum is about MU and he has the right to talk about this issue.

I hate to be long winded... but I'm just trying to draw this out very clearly for everybody.

#1 I don't know if MU is hurting for money or not. It certainly doesn't appear like it to me, but there really is not way of accounting for how much more money would come in if the nickname were changed back. Either way, it doesn't really matter that much because I'm not judging people for not actually getting the name changed back, I'm judging them based on their lack of effort and constant b*itching.

#2 If I believe the hardcore Warrior group on this board, then the vast majority of people are still outraged about the nickname issue, and there is a lot of passion about it. Even the MU poll that was given supports that the fans still prefer Warriors.

#3 If #2 is true, then it should be relatively easy to get organized and put some pressure on MU. I'm not saying it will work right away, but if alumni are as pissed as people on this board claim that they are, then they will have a shot at getting the name changed back if they can stay organized and keep working at it. Again, it might take 5 years... it might take 10. But, if the passion is there... then you just have to give people a chance to get involved in a constructive manner.

#4 I understand that this board is often a relief for most of us, but this is an MU basketball board... and while some topics seem to stray from hoops (which is fine), maybe it's time that the people who are so passionate about the nickname start their own website. I mean, again, if you are so pissed about it... do something about it.

#5 The occasional nickname post really isn't a problem... its the admonishing other alumni and fans, the hijacking of threads and the overall righteousness of the posters doesn't really benefit anybody, and it really isn't going to help bring the nickname back.

Start a warrior website, organize a petition, hold a warrior event, make t-shirts, recruit more people to become Warriors, inform people about how the decision was actually made, inform people on the history of it all.

Those are all admirable steps that can be taken in an attempt to object to the current nickname and eventually re-capture the old name.

B*tching on an internet basketball forum is not a good way to get the nickname back. 

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2008, 09:13:18 AM »
Thanks for lifting this thread the morning after a nationally televised game.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »
Thanks for lifting this thread the morning after a nationally televised game.

Are you kidding me?

Listen, you've continuously hijacked threads and talked down to people who don't hate the Golden Eagle as much as you do.

Well... now I'm calling you out.

If you are so mad about the Golden Eagle... then do something that might bring the name back.

That's it.

Ripping the Golden Eagle and students/alumni who associate with it hasn't gotten the name back yet... so try something different.

feedback