[Today at 12:16:38 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by SaveOD238
[Today at 12:12:04 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Warriors4ever
[Today at 11:29:37 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: One of the Greatest Pictures Ever  (Read 10279 times)

IAmMarquette

• All American
Re: One of the Greatest Pictures Ever
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 07:57:22 PM »
how did this thread devolve into this dead beaten horse discussion?

PRN made a joke and somebody couldn't take it, although he did neglect to use the sarcasm font.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 08:04:03 PM by IAmMarquette »

augoman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 11:04:35 PM »
not to get back on the subject, but the picture of 'Robert the Impaler' made my day.  (not a trident, but a STAKE)

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 11:57:12 PM »
ya, it really is a great picture. it should go on the acceptance letters for the class of 2012

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2008, 09:43:32 AM »
ya, it really is a great picture. it should go on the acceptance letters for the class of 2012

Awesome pic.  I also second this motion.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2008, 10:10:05 AM »
It will different be when MU actual something well had over Golden Eagles to say.  I loved how they the mascotte changed more violently to look.  I do not see the crossness.  I understand that they maintained that they no new symbol could accept meanwhile keep up the Fighter nickname.  I thought was that cripple.  Did when we use Joan of Arc as a mascotte under the fighter name, men would identify with the Indian-Hood logo verdergaan with?  Men verdergaan with customs the controversial modi because that was how the nickname leave became.  There was no joint effort through the university distance of the small treasure connotatie of Fighters to take.  I support personal the Jumping Jesuits.  All Jesuits that I meet have liefde basketbal.  I cannot say the same furrow all Indian.  And birds do not give certainly. 

MR. HAYWARD? Is that you again??

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
It will different be when MU actual something well had over Golden Eagles to say.  I loved how they the mascotte changed more violently to look.  I do not see the crossness.  I understand that they maintained that they no new symbol could accept meanwhile keep up the Fighter nickname.  I thought was that cripple.  Did when we use Joan of Arc as a mascotte under the fighter name, men would identify with the Indian-Hood logo verdergaan with?  Men verdergaan with customs the controversial modi because that was how the nickname leave became.  There was no joint effort through the university distance of the small treasure connotatie of Fighters to take.  I support personal the Jumping Jesuits.  All Jesuits that I meet have liefde basketbal.  I cannot say the same furrow all Indian.  And birds do not give certainly. 

Well, there is a great reference to the original French Etymology...

Steak

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2008, 01:56:45 PM »
I know that I for one am extremely bitter that the Chicago Cubs changed their name from the Chicago White Stockings. Anybody who prefers the name Cubs over White Stockings is an idiot. I find the name change underhanded and wrong. I refuse to buy anything with the new logo or the name Cubs on it.

White Stockings forever!!!!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 01:59:30 PM by Steak »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2008, 02:58:25 PM »
I know that I for one am extremely bitter that the Chicago Cubs changed their name from the Chicago White Stockings. Anybody who prefers the name Cubs over White Stockings is an idiot. I find the name change underhanded and wrong. I refuse to buy anything with the new logo or the name Cubs on it.

White Stockings forever!!!!

Solid

Tribby

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2008, 03:56:26 PM »
Well, it's hard to disagree with that.

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »
or agree with that, or understand that, or...

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2008, 11:26:51 AM »

I for one appreciate PRN's constant name change ranting.  Marquette University had a great opportunity to nip this RIDICULOUS PC crap in the butt (on a national scale btw) and they folded like a lawn chair.  I like the Warriors much better than the GE's, but what fuels me the most is the PC aspect of it.  I can understand people identifying with other mascots and I can respect that.  Just be careful because before you know it, we'll all be a number and have no identification at all.  I think PRN does a great service of reminding folks.  Keep in mind, those that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.  This goes on on a much greater scale - things that are far more important that a University's mascot.  My point is that in the future, who's to say PETA doesn't come out and find the GE's as being offensive?  And if at that point we fold AGAIN, I'd be more pissed than I am now - or just given up hope for a democracy rules concept.  Hold your 'Marquette's a private institution and isn't run by a democracy' comments.  I'm making reference to the epidemic that's ruining our nation.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »
Frenn,
Are you PRN?  Did you just create a new username so that there'd be somebody to back you up on this?  ;)

FrennA

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2008, 11:46:26 AM »

This is about the only thing I agree with PRN on.  By the way, are you kidding me to think that I'm the only one to agree with PRN on this topic?  Where have you been?  I may not post much (given I would not get much done at work) but I've been a member on this board since the beginning as well as the ahoya board as I'm sure the moderators can validate.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2008, 11:59:13 AM »

I for one appreciate PRN's constant name change ranting.  Marquette University had a great opportunity to nip this RIDICULOUS PC crap in the butt (on a national scale btw) and they folded like a lawn chair.  I like the Warriors much better than the GE's, but what fuels me the most is the PC aspect of it.  I can understand people identifying with other mascots and I can respect that.  Just be careful because before you know it, we'll all be a number and have no identification at all.  I think PRN does a great service of reminding folks.  Keep in mind, those that don't learn from history are bound to repeat it.  This goes on on a much greater scale - things that are far more important that a University's mascot.  My point is that in the future, who's to say PETA doesn't come out and find the GE's as being offensive?  And if at that point we fold AGAIN, I'd be more pissed than I am now - or just given up hope for a democracy rules concept.  Hold your 'Marquette's a private institution and isn't run by a democracy' comments.  I'm making reference to the epidemic that's ruining our nation.

That's quite a rant... but, I can appreciate your position. Honestly.

I love people's passion for the Warriors. I respect that. I just hope the Warriors respect the people that were Eagles, and respect the fact that I'm not obsessed with getting it changed back.

Also, if people feel that passionate about it (and I'm sure there are those that do), they should put some real pressure on the university by withholding donations, not purchasing tickets, not sending your kids there, protesting on the sidewalk before games, petitions, etc. etc.

"Speaking out" (as some people are so proud to do) without "action" just appears to be whining and really isn't winning people over.

Also, for future reference I believe the cliche is "nip it in the bud", not "nip it in the butt". It's a reference to de-budding plants before they flower (kill it while it is small), not pinching somebody in the ass.

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »

I love people's passion for the Warriors. I respect that. I just hope the Warriors respect the people that were Eagles, and respect the fact that I'm not obsessed with getting it changed back.

Also, if people feel that passionate about it (and I'm sure there are those that do), they should put some real pressure on the university by withholding donations, not purchasing tickets, not sending your kids there, protesting on the sidewalk before games, petitions, etc. etc.

"Speaking out" (as some people are so proud to do) without "action" just appears to be whining and really isn't winning people over.

Also, for future reference I believe the cliche is "nip it in the bud", not "nip it in the butt". It's a reference to de-budding plants before they flower (kill it while it is small), not pinching somebody in the ass.

Sorry, but Marquette isn't some TV show that you can just turn off.   For most of us, it's our alma mater.  When it comes to the nickname debate, I agree with most of what PRN says and when the subject comes up I will probably express my opinion.  But putting pressure on MU by withholding donations, not purchasing tickets, not sending your kids there, protesting on the sidewalk before games, etc. is just stupid.  I can be passionate about the nickname change and not take any of the above actions that you suggest.  Marquette will continue to do many things that I disagree with, and I will continue to lodge my disagreement.   

Dry White Toast

• Starter
Re: One of the Greatest POSTS Ever
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2008, 01:11:39 PM »
BEST POST EVERY BY CHAINSAW-MCGEE!!!  It belongs in the Wiki for future generations to enjoy.

Frozen Caveman Coach

• Walk-On
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »
Include me as another in agreement with "beating a dead horse" on the pathetic cave by the university.  There are many of us that get more ticked off that a couple of current students or recent grads claim to represent the majority by acting like it is still not a sore spot.  I was in school at the time and as was mentioned in a previous post, it is not so much the name change from Warriors to Golden Eagles, it was the manner in which it was handled.  As students and I am guessing alumni at the time, we were completely blind sided in the name of political correctness.  Students, alumni, members of the Milw community and bball fans that had contributed so much to MU had zero input in the decision.  I still remember that Friday fall afternoon first hearing that the name would be changed on the 5pm news.  Those MU shills need to realize that this is far from the most trivial topic discussed on this board or ignore our rants.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2008, 01:14:52 PM »

Sorry, but Marquette isn't some TV show that you can just turn off.   For most of us, it's our alma mater.  When it comes to the nickname debate, I agree with most of what PRN says and when the subject comes up I will probably express my opinion.  But putting pressure on MU by withholding donations, not purchasing tickets, not sending your kids there, protesting on the sidewalk before games, etc. is just stupid.  I can be passionate about the nickname change and not take any of the above actions that you suggest.  Marquette will continue to do many things that I disagree with, and I will continue to lodge my disagreement.   

I hear ya.

I'm not telling anybody to ever stop loving the old nickname. I understand the connection and the passion.

But, when it gets pounded on time after time with no real action, it just gets old.

If people feel passionate enough to consistently post about it, hijack threads about it, call out golden eagle fans as not real fans, well, then they should take up some actual action. Don't just be a keyboard hero.

I can respect people who still want the old nickname. No problem.

I cannot respect people who rant and rant and rant and rant and rant and rant and rant but don't actually DO anything about it.

Elicit change, people.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2008, 01:33:26 PM »
Some of the people on this board who seem to think that my rants are uncontrolled and out-of-date should know that I have received at least a dozen private messages of support on this board for repeated references to the nickname. 

And as Rawdog proved above, there are many younger fans who do not understand the controversy and deserve to know how many alums strenuously object to the situation and will be upset about it until it is changed. Golden Eagles is a despised name and will always be. The administration knows this, which is why they tried to change it JUST TWO YEARS AGO!!!

If you don't understand the debate, simply imagine the uproar if Indiana decided "Hoosiers" was a deragatory term. Marquette Warriors was (and remains) a brand as associated with our basketball program as Al McGuire. It's absolutey an outrage that it was changed it and absolutely pathetic that people on this (and the other) board are so quick to fall into the fetal position when asked to do so by the administration.

I guarantee you this is not the case amongst the HUGE majority of Marquette fans.

Ignoring it is like discussing Senator Kennedy and dismissing the Chappaquiddick incident as a minor traffic accident.

I will continue to bring up the nickname at every opportunity.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2008, 02:07:12 PM »

I will continue to bring up the nickname at every opportunity.

But, what are you REALLY going to do about it?

It doesn't seem like posting it on this website is getting the job done.

If people are as upset as you say they are (I'm not debating you on that), then you should have more than enough people to organize and make some real noise.

There are 17,000+ MU fans at the Bradley Center at least 4 or 5 times a year. Organize something.

What about a "Warrior only" party at a local establishment? Show MU how much money they are really missing when the "Warriors" decide to spend some money at a "pro warrior" establishment.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2008, 02:17:35 PM »

This is about the only thing I agree with PRN on.  By the way, are you kidding me to think that I'm the only one to agree with PRN on this topic?  Where have you been?  I may not post much (given I would not get much done at work) but I've been a member on this board since the beginning as well as the ahoya board as I'm sure the moderators can validate.
Apparently my winking icon wasn't obvious enough to alert the board that I was making a mild attempt at humor.  Next time I'll post in the sarcasm font.
Congratulations on being a member of this and the other board for a long time.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
2002mualum, It doesn't matter what you do, IMO the nickname issue to MU is dead. The university knows how much money it is losing because of it ...

When I was at MU, I used to work in the Phonethan office. One of my jobs was to go through the declines from the previous night of calls to see the reasons people didn't give. The first reason was because of financial constraints ... the second reason, the nickname. This was a decent size percentage, with the majority saying "I will only give to MU if they change the nickname back to Warriors." It wasn't that long ago either, 2002 and 2003.

This is a fruitless debate. I don't see a change fortcoming. After the MU Gold disaster, Fr. Wild is not going to touch this issue again. Does anybody think his successor will? Whether some like it or not, MU has moved on.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:00:59 PM by RJax55 »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2008, 03:29:32 PM »
2002mualum, It doesn't matter what you do, IMO the nickname issue to MU is dead. The university knows how much money it is losing because of it ...

When I was at MU, I used to work in the Phonethan office. One of my jobs was to go through the declines from the previous night of calls to see the reasons people didn't give. The first reason was because of financial constraints ... the second reason, the nickname. This was a decent size percentage, with the majority saying "I will only give to MU if they change the nickname back to Warriors." It wasn't that long ago either, 2002 and 2003.

IMO, this is a fruitless debate. I don't see a change fortcoming. After the MU Gold disaster, Fr. Wild is not going to touch this issue again. Does anybody think his successor will? Whether some like it or not, MU has moved on.

I agree with you that MU probably isn't going to willingly open the debate. But, private schools are often at the mercy of the alumni and major benefactors. If you get the right people involved, MU might do something about it. It might take years and years of work, but it could happen. And, that's not even what I'm debating.

Here's my point (and I welcome feedback on this):

For people to post obsessively on an internet forum and claim that so many people are upset and then not actually DO anything about it is tiresome and weak.

If so many fans out there are passionate enough about it... make some real noise.

If you feel passionate about an issue... take some action, people.

MU cannot stop alums from promoting the old nickname and promoting that other alums take action.

Hacking away on a keyboard and cutting down younger alums for "not knowing their history" is not going to get the name changed back. It's just going to make the pro-warrior crowd look bitter.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
I'm just glad myself, maxpower, gwaki, etc, can shed some light on the nickname issue for current students.  I have a great sense of pride associated with the Warrior and love seeing the alum and students alike wearing Warrior apparel. I will always be a warrior and despise that stupid bird (especially the new logo)  :P :-X...some of my friends may see this as a little hypocritical  ;)

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2008, 04:22:17 PM »
2002, The fact is MU is not hurting for cash even with the nickname change. The MAGIS campaign that was just completed was a huge success and recently MU has had terrific results in obtaining huge donations (Law School, College of Comm., College of Engineering). I just don't see a group of precarious alums coming together and influencing a major change by withholding donations.

I understand your point regarding people that are constantly bringing up the nickname. It is tiresome to hear, especially when you realize that no matter how much they complain about it, there will be no change in policy. However, where else can they go to air their dissatisfaction. MU isn't interested in opening up the debate ... I think PRN agenda is quite clear, to continue to express his discontentment over the nickname and keep the issue alive. Honestly, what other actions can he take. I may disagree with him, but this forum is about MU and he has the right to talk about this issue.

feedback