[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Shooter McGavin
[June 14, 2024, 11:05:04 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by mug644
[June 14, 2024, 11:02:51 PM]

2024-25 Roster by El Guerrero 2
[June 14, 2024, 10:37:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: OT: NCAA Rules OpEd Note  (Read 4872 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
OT: NCAA Rules OpEd Note
« on: January 15, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »
I know everyone here likes an NCAA hypocrisy story.  From my Sunday New Haven Register from Sports Columnist Dave Soloman on a story in regards to Yale graduating Senior Mike McLeod.

"Saturday's Dan Orlovsky Foundation/Walter Camp Breakfast of Champions was a perfect illustration of the hypocrisy of the NCAA.  The sponsors thought Yale running back Mike McLeod would be a perfect guest speaker for the six (Connecticut) state football champions, player of the year and coach of the year.  But McLeod had to pull out when it was discovered that speaking to high school atheletes would constitute an NCAA violation.  Yet the 54 major college football teams can go to bowl games and be handed iPods, GPS Systems, watches, DVD players, Nintendo Wii systems, sunglasses, etc., etc. and that's all well and good with the NCAA."

Tribby

• Starter
Re: OT: NCAA Rules OpEd Note
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:35:38 PM »
I know everyone here likes an NCAA hypocrisy story.  From my Sunday New Haven Register from Sports Columnist Dave Soloman on a story in regards to Yale graduating Senior Mike McLeod.

"Saturday's Dan Orlovsky Foundation/Walter Camp Breakfast of Champions was a perfect illustration of the hypocrisy of the NCAA.  The sponsors thought Yale running back Mike McLeod would be a perfect guest speaker for the six (Connecticut) state football champions, player of the year and coach of the year.  But McLeod had to pull out when it was discovered that speaking to high school atheletes would constitute an NCAA violation.  Yet the 54 major college football teams can go to bowl games and be handed iPods, GPS Systems, watches, DVD players, Nintendo Wii systems, sunglasses, etc., etc. and that's all well and good with the NCAA."
I'm not sure this is "hypocrisy" so much as a stupid interpretation of the rules. Presumably, the NCAA has rules governing the interaction of college athletes with high school athletes, just as it governs all aspects of recruiting. Certainly, this instance wasn't about recruiting but about honoring good student athletes. So it's a poor interpretation, but I don't see what it has to do with getting corporate gifts ...