[Today at 09:50:49 PM]

Shaka interview by Jay Bee
[Today at 09:36:41 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Should Markus use the summer to work on becoming our PG next year?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Poll: Should Markus use the summer to work on becoming our PG next year?  (Read 3723 times)

chapman

• All American
If learning to play point guard and learning to play defense are mutually exclusive, give me defense.

bilsu

• All American
If learning to play point guard and learning to play defense are mutually exclusive, give me defense.
A Derrick Wilson fan?

MU82

• All American

I'd normally agree, but not with Markus. He's an offensive player, and the better he gets on offense the more valuable he'll be - especially if he's the PG.

We couldn't hide Markus on D this season because of Rowsey - an even worse defender IMHO. (At least Markus tries to take a few charges, and he's not bad at it.) Next season, we shouldn't have that issue.

I want both. I don't want it to be mutually exclusive. But if it is, I'll take O from him all day long.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
Seems like a "pass first" point guard is often a point guard who's not much of a shooter. Travis Diener had the third-most career assists (617) in the history of Marquette basketball. Definitely a "pass first" point guard, right? But he also took more than 1,200 shots and scored almost 1,700 points.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

WarriorFan

• All American
Before understanding that he's having hip surgery, I thought Sam might end up at point for 10-12 minutes per game next year in a Paul Pressey "point forward" type of role.  Not sure now... but there needs to be at least 2 more good options.

As I've said before, Markus has no chance at NBA unless he's a point.  I'm sure he and Wojo know this.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
Seems like a "pass first" point guard is often a point guard who's not much of a shooter. Travis Diener had the third-most career assists (617) in the history of Marquette basketball. Definitely a "pass first" point guard, right? But he also took more than 1,200 shots and scored almost 1,700 points.

Agreed. I like a PG who can knock down a shot and keep the D honest.

The very, very, very lowest the bar should be for a starting Marquette PG on a legit contender is Junior level. And obviously, I'd prefer better.

Even Tony Miller could step up and hit that top-of-the-key 3 if unguarded - in addition to all the wonderful things he could do.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
According to KenPom.com, Junior Cadougan never had a turnover rate lower than 25% and never shot better than 25% from 3-point range during his Marquette career. Yet he was the point guard for the teams that made three straight Sweet 16 appearances.

That doesn't make Markus Howard the answer at point next season. But it does make me less concerned about the prospect.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
According to KenPom.com, Junior Cadougan never had a turnover rate lower than 25% and never shot better than 25% from 3-point range during his Marquette career. Yet he was the point guard for the teams that made three straight Sweet 16 appearances.

That doesn't make Markus Howard the answer at point next season. But it does make me less concerned about the prospect.

One thing junior had going for him was he was a big strong kid andcwhile he has turnovers he was a good passer.  He had his negatives but also some real positives.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
One thing junior had going for him was he was a big strong kid andcwhile he has turnovers he was a good passer.  He had his negatives but also some real positives.
Most of Juniors turnovers came from playing out of control. When he toned it down he was effective.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback