[Today at 11:42:11 AM]

2025 Bracketology by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 09:46:57 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 08:06:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MPG with no transfer  (Read 12099 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: MPG with no transfer
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »
So he's going from a 27 mpg player down to situational player?  I highly doubt that.

I also doubt that Matt and Theo are going to basically reverse roles next year.

Agreed. Sacar's MPG may go down slightly, but there's no way he becomes an end of the bench cleanup guy. And if Matt doesn't start over Ed, he will be the first big off the bench.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 05:01:47 PM »
Agreed. Sacar's MPG may go down slightly, but there's no way he becomes an end of the bench cleanup guy. And if Matt doesn't start over Ed, he will be the first big off the bench.
I see both Matt and Ed starting, with either Theo, Sacar, or Jamal first off the bench.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 05:09:09 PM »
I see both Matt and Ed starting, with either Theo, Sacar, or Jamal first off the bench.

I could see that...with the decision about who comes in first changing based on fouls trouble and such.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 05:11:33 PM »
I could see that...with the decision about who comes in first changing based on fouls trouble and such.

Yea I truly hope that by the time conference play roles around Theo will be a good enough defender to start, I'm just not sure he'll get there fast enough.  Either way I think he should end up averaging the most minutes of our centers.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 05:13:12 PM »
Dont get the sacar love?  He did what well??
He pkayed because he for the most part out played two rail thin teenagers.  He literally apart from driving does nothing, including finishing those drives,  well.

I see Sacar as a classic glue guy. He works his butt off, isn't exceptional at any one aspect of the game, but is pretty decent at several. Teams need players like that to win.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 05:27:37 PM »
Dont get the sacar love?  He did what well??
He pkayed because he for the most part out played two rail thin teenagers.  He literally apart from driving does nothing, including finishing those drives,  well.

2nd or 3rd best defender on the team IMHO. Will look even better when he doesn't have to compensate for Rowseys lack of D. His finishing ability and shooting showed improvement all season. If he can continue that,  he could keep his role as a starter
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 05:39:10 PM »
Here is the dumb thing about this thread -- no one and I mean no one knows how our existing team will improve their game over the summer or how our incomings will affect the team.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Wojo himself was an also-ran for awhile at Duke until he went off one summer and worked on his game so hard, he cracked the starting line-up at Duke. Will any of our guys do that?

2) The freshman to sophomore transition will be key for our team. If Theo and Greg Elliott in particular make strides, we'll be for real. If they don't, Wojo has problems.

3) I'm lost -- like other posters -- at what our Warriors will look like -- until I know whether we have a real point guard next year. If we don't, God help Wojo because he's going to need it.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »
Here's my guess...
Markus - 30
Sam - 30
mystery PG - 20
Sacar - 20
Ed - 20
Greg - 15
Cain - 15
Joey - 15
Matt - 15
Theo - 15
Bailey - 3
Ike - 2

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 12:12:43 PM »
Here's my guess...
Markus - 30
Sam - 30
mystery PG - 20
Sacar - 20
Ed - 20
Greg - 15
Cain - 15
Joey - 15
Matt - 15
Theo - 15
Bailey - 3
Ike - 2

I think this is pretty good except I don't see any way that Joey plays less than Sacar.  I would switch those two around.

I would also bump Matt up to 20, but I don't know exactly where I would take that from.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 02:26:10 PM »
I think Ike might surprise us a few times next season

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
Markus - 32 mpg
Sam - 32 mpg
Sacar - 22 mpg
Morrow - 22 mpg
Greg - 20 mpg
Heldt - 16 mpg
Theo - 16 mpg
Joey - 16 mpg
Jamal - 14 mpg
Harry - 12 mpg... in Australia
Bailey - 5 mpg
Ike - 4 mpg
Cam - 1 mpg

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2018, 09:42:44 PM »
Has he been able to practice after back surgery? Let's hope he's fully recovered
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:44:26 PM by Newsdreams »
Goal is National Championship

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2018, 09:59:26 PM »
Starting at beginning of the year:
Pg grad transfer/ Elliott
Markus*
Sam*
Matt
Ed*
Depending on matchups of the bench:
Sacar for Sam/Ed
Joey for Ed/Sam
Theo/Matt
Jamil
Bailey
Eke
*most minutes

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 10:17:13 PM »
Ok I see Bailey and Ike in some posts so they haven’t also I assume. Still too many people expecting minutes. I think something going to give before December.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2018, 06:08:45 AM »
Here is the dumb thing about this thread -- no one and I mean no one knows how our existing team will improve their game over the summer or how our incomings will affect the team.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Wojo himself was an also-ran for awhile at Duke until he went off one summer and worked on his game so hard, he cracked the starting line-up at Duke. Will any of our guys do that?

2) The freshman to sophomore transition will be key for our team. If Theo and Greg Elliott in particular make strides, we'll be for real. If they don't, Wojo has problems.

3) I'm lost -- like other posters -- at what our Warriors will look like -- until I know whether we have a real point guard next year. If we don't, God help Wojo because he's going to need it.

1) Wojo's Duke ascent = JFB's MU/NBA ascent. Dudes know how to work.
2)Think they handled the HS to D1 gig change ok, hyena?
3) Impending coaching carousel will lead to grad transfers for sure. Hope one will yield a PG.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »
So he's going from a 27 mpg player down to situational player?  I highly doubt that.

I also doubt that Matt and Theo are going to basically reverse roles next year.
Think you are right on both. And those are 2 reasons why we could be a far cry from an elite team again next year, adding in no PG. Love both Heldt and Anim for their hustle and defense, but neither would be major contributors to an elite team. We are getting the max out of Heldt given his skills. Theo still needs more development and is still likely to be near his max by his Jr. year. With Heldt, Anim and no decent PG, we will not reach the lofty expectations many here  believe.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
Without an immediately eligible PG transfer next year, I'd go with:

M2N: 30
Cain: 25
Sam: 30
Joey: 25
Morrow: 30

Elliott: 20
Theo: 20
Heldt: 10-15

Everyone else on a stutaional as-needed basis

Run a 3/2 zone with M2N & Elliott at the top, Cain & Sam on wings shading in on penetration & helping on P&R, Morrow/Joey/Theo/Heldt on the blocks.

That's a top 3 BEast team with the talent everyone else is losing this summer. Add a high level grad transfer PG and we're conference favorites IMHO.

I love the optimism but I feel even with a grad transfer PG there’s no way we’re conference favorites as long as Villanova is there until we prove that we can finish above them. Even if they lose Bridges and Brunson they should return DiVincenzo, Booth, Spellman, Paschall, Gillespie, Cosby-Roundtree, im addition to some other potential returning contributors in Painter and Samuels, and they are adding a 5* pg in Quinerly to replace Brunson in addition to 2 Joey level recruits. They should be very good again and I expect them to have a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament next year. Other than them, I see Marquette as the team with the best potential to be second in conference

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2018, 10:42:36 AM »
I think people are really underestimating Joey’s talent and I think he starts and gets 25 MPG, even coming off the injury. I think an impact grad transfer PG will also start and take up 25 MPG. I see Cain passing Sacar in minutes next year as Cain has way more potential and I think he’ll put it to use a take a big step forward. Heldt and Sacar will play less next year than they did this year in my opinion. Heldt isn’t bad but with Morrow (6’7 but a load) Joey (6’8) and an improved Theo, I think a few guys will cut into his minutes next year as he has already seemingly reached his full potential. I think Morrow can handle starting at the 5 the same way Lazar was able to handle it, and he’s even bigger than Lazar by an inch and 10 pounds. He’s only 6’7 but a load at 235. I think Morrow and Joey won’t be able to be kept out of the starting lineup because of how good they are which is why I’m putting Morrow at the 5. I see the lineup looking something like:

25 - grad transfer PG
30 - Markus
30 - Sam
25 - Joey
25 - Morrow

Beyond that it’s hard to pick the rest of the minutes as I came up with 230 minutes in my original calculation out of 200 and didn’t feel that I could realistically decrease the minutes for anybody. This is a VERY deep team if everyone returns (besides Froling) and it looks like they will be 12 deep including Ike and Bailey. This team could be very good if Wojo can get them to play defense, and Morrow should help with that. Hopefully the grad transfer PG is a defensive stud and that is the main thing that Wojo needs to focus on rather than replacing Rowsey’s offense. With a defensive stud PG in addition to Morrow’s hopefully good defense, things should be way more balanced to go along with the scoring prowess of mainly Markus and Sam. The two things I’m looking for from the grad transfer PG are defense and distributing abilities, scoring isn’t as important.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:17 AM »
The Morrow in the low 20s MPG talk is crazy.  He, along with Markus and Sam, are going to be our best players.

Assuming no more players with immediate eligibility are added for next season:

Markus: 30
Sacar: 20
Heldt: 20

Joey: 20
Theo: 15
Cain: 15
Greg: 15
Bailey: 5

Eke garbage time.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »
I think people are really underestimating Joey’s talent and I think he starts and gets 25 MPG, even coming off the injury. I think an impact grad transfer PG will also start and take up 25 MPG. I see Cain passing Sacar in minutes next year as Cain has way more potential and I think he’ll put it to use a take a big step forward. Heldt and Sacar will play less next year than they did this year in my opinion. Heldt isn’t bad but with Morrow (6’7 but a load) Joey (6’8) and an improved Theo, I think a few guys will cut into his minutes next year as he has already seemingly reached his full potential. I think Morrow can handle starting at the 5 the same way Lazar was able to handle it, and he’s even bigger than Lazar by an inch and 10 pounds. He’s only 6’7 but a load at 235. I think Morrow and Joey won’t be able to be kept out of the starting lineup because of how good they are which is why I’m putting Morrow at the 5. I see the lineup looking something like:

25 - grad transfer PG
30 - Markus
30 - Sam
25 - Joey
25 - Morrow

Beyond that it’s hard to pick the rest of the minutes as I came up with 230 minutes in my original calculation out of 200 and didn’t feel that I could realistically decrease the minutes for anybody. This is a VERY deep team if everyone returns (besides Froling) and it looks like they will be 12 deep including Ike and Bailey. This team could be very good if Wojo can get them to play defense, and Morrow should help with that. Hopefully the grad transfer PG is a defensive stud and that is the main thing that Wojo needs to focus on rather than replacing Rowsey’s offense. With a defensive stud PG in addition to Morrow’s hopefully good defense, things should be way more balanced to go along with the scoring prowess of mainly Markus and Sam. The two things I’m looking for from the grad transfer PG are defense and distributing abilities, scoring isn’t as important.

Joeys talent, not sure you can say to much about him yet, did not play his senior year, that hurts.  Will not be able to start playing till June or July.  A little early to
say how good he will be.  He is taller than Sam in the pictures I have seen.  But will he have the same lateral quickness as Sam?  Will he be able to jump?  Question
marks all over the place on him.  Can he play D, I am sure he never did to much of that.  Can Wojo make him a better Defensive player?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2018, 11:55:41 AM »
Can Wojo make him a better Defensive player?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2018, 02:29:49 PM »

Yeah, with his Back Surgery, and limited playing BB time coupled with his Height and Soccer experience really don't know what we have.  Intriguing ingredients for me to watch his development in the coming years.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2018, 03:38:28 PM »
The Morrow in the low 20s MPG talk is crazy.  He, along with Markus and Sam, are going to be our best players.

Assuming no more players with immediate eligibility are added for next season:

Markus: 30
Sacar: 20
Heldt: 20

Joey: 20
Theo: 15
Cain: 15
Greg: 15
Bailey: 5

Eke garbage time.

I see what you're saying but, just because he's one of the best players, doesn't mean he will match another top player (though, a guard) in minutes.

Isaac Haas only played 23 mpg through the season. And he was insanely good. Ethan Happ managed 28 mpg on a brutally depleted UW roster. Even Luke Fischer didn't hit 30 mpg while at MU, and we had literally no depth whatsoever.

MU just has a lot of bigs that deserve minutes. Some of them could be pseudo-guards, kind of, but they are still bigs. I think in your breakdown, it would seem that we would have scenarios with only one true guard on the floor. If Wojo does roll with that at times, I could see Morrow getting closer to 30, and that would be interesting to see.

I think he definitely deserves to play a whole lot and is one of the best players, but we have a bunch of guys that play his position (a good thing, of course).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:40:22 PM by yetipro »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »
Why do people think Morrow will play major minutes at the 5. He did say the reason he transferred is because he didn't want to play the 5, but forward or wing. So emergency minutes at the 5 due to foul trouble, but starting at the 5 and major minutes no. We need a true body ready 4 and that is Morrow.
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/ed-morrow-s-decision-to-transfer-leaves-husker-coach-tim/article_7449afcc-14dc-11e7-94d1-df0c482dda4a.html

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2018, 07:38:46 PM »
Why do people think Morrow will play major minutes at the 5. He did say the reason he transferred is because he didn't want to play the 5, but forward or wing. So emergency minutes at the 5 due to foul trouble, but starting at the 5 and major minutes no. We need a true body ready 4 and that is Morrow.
http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mens-basketball/ed-morrow-s-decision-to-transfer-leaves-husker-coach-tim/article_7449afcc-14dc-11e7-94d1-df0c482dda4a.html

Exactly.  Maybe as a switch up when they want to go small on offense, but Heldt and John are the posts.  Morrow is an old school power forward.