[June 15, 2024, 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[June 15, 2024, 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[June 15, 2024, 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[June 15, 2024, 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: All About Winning  (Read 6143 times)

Goose

• All American
All About Winning
« on: March 20, 2018, 05:27:01 PM »
I am going out of character here, but I think this NIT experience has been a good for the future. My feelings on returning talent has not changed, but I believe success builds on itself. I stated last year, but more this year, I hope the guys learn how to win. So far, they are doing it.

My hope is the young guys learn how to win must win games. IMO, Wojo’s teams lacked this skill until last couple of games. There is nothing better than winning as a team and everyone, without Rowsey, can build off this next year.

If they can keep it going, I think it is a major head start for next season. Winning is contagious and I hope they get the bug. I remember, I know back in the day, but losing was not acceptable. Who knows, maybe getting a taste of W’s carries over to next season.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: All About Winning
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 05:28:56 PM »
I agree...but was going to wait to say this until after they punch their NYC ticket.  Hope you didn’t jinx us

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:17 PM »
Great post, Goose. I was always in favor of playing in this if it was presented, but felt kind of "meh" on the whole thing. Now that it's here, I'm loving it. The games have been fun and the team seems loose and motivated. Let's get another W and head to MSG!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:58 PM »
Frenns
I said tonight before the game because win or lose I think it has been a good experience. Equally as important, there seems to be some juice in the fan base, which I believe has been lacking, aside from the big games. I hope the students carryover excitement to next year, as well,

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:37:23 PM »
It has been a net positive.  High stress games for a young team.  Change in venue seems to have energized fans.  Taken lemons, made lemonade.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

connie

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:39:00 PM »
I think you are correct, and hope we reap the benefits next year.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

fjm

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 05:46:43 PM »
Well said goose.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 05:50:00 PM »
Get to NYC without any more serious injuries.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 05:55:21 PM »
I agree, Goose. Everybody knows a loss ends the season, and I don’t think they’re ready yet.

Speaking of which, there are only two Big East teams still playing in March.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:00:51 PM »
I am going out of character here, but I think this NIT experience has been a good for the future. My feelings on returning talent has not changed, but I believe success builds on itself. I stated last year, but more this year, I hope the guys learn how to win. So far, they are doing it.

My hope is the young guys learn how to win must win games. IMO, Wojo’s teams lacked this skill until last couple of games. There is nothing better than winning as a team and everyone, without Rowsey, can build off this next year.

If they can keep it going, I think it is a major head start for next season. Winning is contagious and I hope they get the bug. I remember, I know back in the day, but losing was not acceptable. Who knows, maybe getting a taste of W’s carries over to next season.

What "must win" games did they not win?

Who has said losing was acceptable?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 06:09:53 PM »
What "must win" games did they not win?

Who has said losing was acceptable?

Depaul...
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »
Depaul...

How? That game wouldn't have gotten then in the NCAAs.

The only real "must win" (in regards to the NCAAs) was Nova in the BET.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 06:44:43 PM »
How? That game wouldn't have gotten then in the NCAAs.

The only real "must win" (in regards to the NCAAs) was Nova in the BET.

Is that a fact? Because assuming all else remains the same that'd mean we're the 3rd place BE team. You think they'd have taken 4-7 over no3?
Maigh Eo for Sam

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 06:47:07 PM »
Is that a fact? Because assuming all else remains the same that'd mean we're the 3rd place BE team. You think they'd have taken 4-7 over no3?

That's fair. I wasn't thinking about conference record/standing. I was looking purely at RPI, SOS, etc.

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 06:49:10 PM »

The committee didn’t look at conference standings. Marquette lacked a Top10-15 rpi win. They were way out of the tournament. Not close to being selected. The DePaul win wouldn’t have been enough. The committee even said they weren’t putting much emphasis on bad conference road losses.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2018, 07:06:56 PM »

Wouldnt have mattered.

USC was denied (3rd in PAC12), but ASU (9th in PAC12) went to Dayton.

MU was like 8th team outish. Beating DePaul wouldn't have done much.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2018, 07:17:51 PM »
Theres next yearss point guard just dribbling it away
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2018, 07:34:38 PM »
Wouldnt have mattered.

USC didn't beat a single tournament team all year we beat 5 so it's a bit different. Idk I just don't see it but I guess we'll never know
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2018, 08:30:31 PM »
Wouldnt have mattered.

Correction, MU was the 5th to 8th team out. I'm also of the opinion that the difference between the last team in (Syracuse) and a 2 seed in the NIT was very small this season. One win could have been the difference between an NIT 2 seed and being in the tournament. I'm not sure if reversing DePaul or Georgia would have been enough, but finishing off the comeback against X or Nova certainly would have. All the games in between are up for debate.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2018, 08:34:47 PM »
Well. Another "must win" that we choked away. Young guys will never learn.

As well, seems more accepted losing.

Sad fanbase these days.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »

I know some disagreed with me when I said a reasonable run in the NIT would be better than one and done in the NCAA for this team. I expect Sam and Greg to get healthy; expect the frosh to put on some weight and muscle. I hope Harry stays. I hope Murrow can help our defensive woes and Joey, Ike and Brandon can contribute as freshman.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 08:40:23 PM »
The committee didn’t look at conference standings. Marquette lacked a Top10-15 rpi win. They were way out of the tournament. Not close to being selected. The DePaul win wouldn’t have been enough. The committee even said they weren’t putting much emphasis on bad conference road losses.

Ok, so the must win was against Providence or Butler or X or V or SJU or it really does not matter the season is over. Let's look forward to a better season next year.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

jaygall31

• Team Captain
  • Just get shots up...Turnovers are what KILL you.
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 08:49:28 PM »
Great post, Goose. I was always in favor of playing in this if it was presented, but felt kind of "meh" on the whole thing. Now that it's here, I'm loving it. The games have been fun and the team seems loose and motivated. Let's get another W and head to MSG!

Agreed. Would have been both ignorant and arrogant to turn down.
It's not about ME,
It's about US.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 06:30:49 AM »
Correction, MU was the 5th to 8th team out. I'm also of the opinion that the difference between the last team in (Syracuse) and a 2 seed in the NIT was very small this season. One win could have been the difference between an NIT 2 seed and being in the tournament. I'm not sure if reversing DePaul or Georgia would have been enough, but finishing off the comeback against X or Nova certainly would have. All the games in between are up for debate.

MU was in ND's bracket.  ND was the first team out and thus the highest 1-seed in the NIT.  Doesn't that make MU the lowest 2-seed?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 06:36:08 AM »
Well. Another "must win" that we choked away. Young guys will never learn.

As well, seems more accepted losing.

Sad fanbase these days.

We didn't choke it away you fool.  We lost a game to a more physical team playing with an additional day's rest when at least two of our critical players, most notably Sam, simply couldn't bring it anymore.  Thanks for your non support.