'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Coaching Carousel by The Lens
[Today at 05:12:28 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Takeaway's from the AL  (Read 2986 times)

#UnleashSean

• All American
Takeaway's from the AL
« on: March 18, 2018, 08:40:27 PM »
1. sellouts are always just way more fun.
2. An on campus small stadium (8-10k) would totally work. Just think of the Al with seats all the way around the walkway and a balcony on each side.
3. The students are amped at the AL, so much more lively then at the BC.
4. The players really feed off the energy of the smaller stadium
5. The LaCrosse team is fun as hell. Where were they all season?
6. Since we can't expect the LaCrosse team to always be there, maybe we can make a student club that has reserved seating behind the basket and they do crazy shenanigans every game? This one really should be doable.
7. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE dual student section on the baselines at the new stadium. These are the worst seats for the sweatervests and tons go unused even at big games. Give them to the students who enjoy them more than sideline or corner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Takeaway's from the AL
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 09:20:07 PM »
I think it would be awesome if MU had the funds for a larger (10-12k) on-campus arena for about two-thirds of the games, and then play the big ticket games at the Chaluparena like Nova does at Wells Fargo. Doubt it happens anytime soon though. $$$$

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:27:05 PM »
Baby Blues > Pea Greens on national TV

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 09:28:47 PM »
Also, don't like quarters.  Chops up the games and runs too much.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 09:31:03 PM »

I could take it or leave it. Very similar to the TV timeouts as far as stoppage of play. Just come at different intervals with quarters.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 09:33:19 PM »
I could take it or leave it. Very similar to the TV timeouts as far as stoppage of play. Just come at different intervals with quarters.

My problem is at the college level it leads to more wasted possessions at the end of quarters.  TV timeouts are at deadballs, so possessions wise it is different.

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »
My problem is at the college level it leads to more wasted possessions at the end of quarters.  TV timeouts are at deadballs, so possessions wise it is different.

Good point.

Wojo certainly wasn’t used to quarters and tried to do late defensive substitutions at the end of Q1. He successfully subbed Elliot in for Howard but was too slow to get Cain in for Rowsey.

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »
1. sellouts are always just way more fun.
2. An on campus small stadium (8-10k) would totally work. Just think of the Al with seats all the way around the walkway and a balcony on each side.
3. The students are amped at the AL, so much more lively then at the BC.
4. The players really feed off the energy of the smaller stadium
5. The LaCrosse team is fun as hell. Where were they all season?
6. Since we can't expect the LaCrosse team to always be there, maybe we can make a student club that has reserved seating behind the basket and they do crazy shenanigans every game? This one really should be doable.
7. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE PLEEEEEEEEEEEASE dual student section on the baselines at the new stadium. These are the worst seats for the sweatervests and tons go unused even at big games. Give them to the students who enjoy them more than sideline or corner.

Agree with this take
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 10:04:55 PM »
Agree. Both of the last two games have been 10-15 minutes longer than the usual game.  Maybe it’s ESPN, but these games take longer.

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 10:12:05 PM »
I was worried about the Ducks game. Having home court against a young team like Oregon was a heck of an advantage. Up to this point the smallest arena the Ducks played in during the 2017-18 seated about 9,000. While the Golden Eagles played grown up basketball -- give an assist to the lacrosse team and the others that created a hostile environment for Oregon. Marquette needs even a higher level of rowdy intensity on Tuesday against Penn State.

"Get rowdy for Rowsey." Send the senior off in a special way for his final home game.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 10:21:32 PM »
Not sure about quarters.  Maybe if all timeouts were mid-quarter, but the under 7 and 3 in the 2nd/4th is lame.  It's one fewer timeout per half; perhaps just make the quarter break longer or extend a team timeout.  But the foul reset is nice.

source?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 10:31:54 PM »
Do NIT games count in our attendance numbers? If so that sucks for this year.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 11:04:50 PM »
I think it would be awesome if MU had the funds for a larger (10-12k) on-campus arena for about two-thirds of the games, and then play the big ticket games at the Chaluparena like Nova does at Wells Fargo. Doubt it happens anytime soon though. $$$$

It's what Xavier and Villanova have, on campus arenas.  Some fans here mock that, but it's a difference maker.  Nova's is only about 7,000 where 1/3 are student seats.  They still play major games at Wells Fargo, but having an on campus arena is a big plus.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 11:13:20 PM »
It's what Xavier and Villanova have, on campus arenas.  Some fans here mock that, but it's a difference maker.  Nova's is only about 7,000 where 1/3 are student seats.  They still play major games at Wells Fargo, but having an on campus arena is a big plus.

MU's arena is a few blocks from campus.  Good lord. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:29:27 PM »
[/quote

I do not like the 5 foul rule per quarter.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2018, 11:35:20 PM »
The way MU fouls it seems like the quarter reset may actually work in our favor. Can anyone figure out how many free throws Oregon would have taken under the current system?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2018, 11:38:44 PM »
MU's arena is a few blocks from campus.  Good lord.

I don't think its about distance to campus. It's about the environment in the building. BC was just too big and too poorly constructed (for basketball) to get a truly disruptive home court advantage. Maybe the Silk Exotic Center will be better. It certainly looks the part. But if you can raise the money and close the Mecca, I think an on campus arena for Marquette could be a very good thing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
Here's an idea:

The Lacrosse team should be behind PSU's basket for the 1H .. then move to the other end at half time for 2x the shenanigans.

Make. It. Happen.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 10:01:30 AM »
Here's an idea:

The Lacrosse team should be behind PSU's basket for the 1H .. then move to the other end at half time for 2x the shenanigans.

Make. It. Happen.

Yes.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words