collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA and high schools players  (Read 5566 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
NBA and high schools players
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:58:31 PM »
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22580109/nfl-insiders-predict-preview-2018-offseason-free-agency-trades-signings-cuts

"The NBA is focusing on getting involved in two important periods in which they currently have minimal contact with prospects: the high school years and the time between high school graduation and when a young player is physically and emotionally ready to join the NBA."

What will this do to the eligibility of kids in high school if they have contact with or are receiving coaching from the NBA?

skianth16

• All American
Re: NBA and high schools players
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 10:40:08 PM »
We know several of the big time success stories of kids going pro out of high school, but are there any cautionary tales that ended poorly? I don't really see a downside, personally, to the NBA being involved sooner in the development of players, both from a basketball standpoint and also from a career development standpoint.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 10:52:28 PM »
We know several of the big time success stories of kids going pro out of high school, but are there any cautionary tales that ended poorly? I don't really see a downside, personally, to the NBA being involved sooner in the development of players, both from a basketball standpoint and also from a career development standpoint.

Robert Swift immediately comes to mind. Gerald Green, Darius Miles, Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown, Leon Smith, Nididu Ebi without much thought.

The transition is far too large without an intermediate league for those non-Lebron types.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 11:22:06 PM »

I don't have a problem with kids going pro out of high school. Hopefully, they will have the G League setup for the guys who make the jump, but aren't ready yet.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how working with NBA coaches while still in HS would affect high school eligibility.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 12:27:19 AM »
I don't have a problem with kids going pro out of high school. Hopefully, they will have the G League setup for the guys who make the jump, but aren't ready yet.

I was just wondering if anyone knew how working with NBA coaches while still in HS would affect high school eligibility.

In the wiaa there's no rule against signing with an agent or anything. Only taking compensation or using their likeness.

It also is very outdated. Saying athletes can't compete on more then 1 team in a given season. I was on three baseball teams my senior year. Never had a problem.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 02:29:18 AM »
Robert Swift immediately comes to mind. Gerald Green, Darius Miles, Eddy Curry, Kwame Brown, Leon Smith, Nididu Ebi without much thought.

The transition is far too large without an intermediate league for those non-Lebron types.

Eddy Curry made $70 million during his NBA career. Kwame Brown made $64 million. Gerald Green is still playing and he has made nearly $20 million. All three played plenty long enough to get full NBA pensions - more annual money than most of us have made in our jobs.

Could they have done better had they been 1-and-dones or had there been a professional transition period? Maybe, maybe not. How about if they had stayed in college longer? Probably ... unless they suffered devastating injuries, gotten in with the wrong crowd, etc.

Robert Swift was a total bust ... but he still made more than $11 million. Ebi made more than $3 million. Even mercurial Leon Smith made more than $1 million.

I do get what folks are saying. Even if the only learning they did in college was by osmosis, it probably would have helped them. Even if some kind of NBA developmental system didn't work for them, it wouldn't have been for lack of trying. We'll never know.

It will be interesting to see if this proposal Silver is considering ever gets off the ground and if it ends up helping the majority.

It's still hard to convince me that we're better off restricting a grown-up man's ability to earn. An 18-year-old is old enough to die for his country, but he can't earn a living in his chosen profession even if he is deemed good enough to do so? Seems un-American to me!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 05:59:40 AM »
Eddy Curry made $70 million during his NBA career. Kwame Brown made $64 million. Gerald Green is still playing and he has made nearly $20 million. All three played plenty long enough to get full NBA pensions - more annual money than most of us have made in our jobs.

Could they have done better had they been 1-and-dones or had there been a professional transition period? Maybe, maybe not. How about if they had stayed in college longer? Probably ... unless they suffered devastating injuries, gotten in with the wrong crowd, etc.

Robert Swift was a total bust ... but he still made more than $11 million. Ebi made more than $3 million. Even mercurial Leon Smith made more than $1 million.

I do get what folks are saying. Even if the only learning they did in college was by osmosis, it probably would have helped them. Even if some kind of NBA developmental system didn't work for them, it wouldn't have been for lack of trying. We'll never know.

It will be interesting to see if this proposal Silver is considering ever gets off the ground and if it ends up helping the majority.

It's still hard to convince me that we're better off restricting a grown-up man's ability to earn. An 18-year-old is old enough to die for his country, but he can't earn a living in his chosen profession even if he is deemed good enough to do so? Seems un-American to me!

I am in the same opinion group, they should be allowed to earn. However, I think the NBA can be a dangerous place for an 18 year old kid with millions, which is why I listed those above.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »

Hasn’t the salary structure changed in the NBA for rookies? I thought it was more slotted than it used to be, so the contracts are a lot less now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 07:54:10 AM »

A lot of jobs require some college or a college degree. The nba isn't special in that regard.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 08:16:33 AM »
A lot of jobs require some college or a college degree. The nba isn't special in that regard.

Yeah just think of how good LBJ and Kobe would have been with a college degree! 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 08:17:33 AM »
The NBA doesn't want to draft high schoolers and the NBA players unions conceded the point as part of its negotiations.  I fully understand why the NBA takes this position.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2018, 08:24:25 AM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2018, 09:17:27 AM »
Its impossible to prove the counterfactual, but I don't think forcing college on the high school-to-NBA flops would have changed much of anything. The stories would have just been less dramatic because they wouldn't have been backed up by millions of dollars. How many guys get booted out of school, kicked off college teams, etc., and fade into obscurity with the same endgame as the Korleone Youngs? I would bet that happens all the time, they just aren't interesting for feature articles.

That being said, maybe rookie contracts could be structured to include deferred payments or forced contributions to a kind of pension or something. You can't save people from themselves forever, but it might go a long way for 1/4 of the first couple of years of a rookie salary to be around when that first guaranteed contract expires.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:49 AM »

Yeah just think of how good LBJ and Kobe would have been with a college degree!

You missed the point I was making but this was funny. The point is a lot of jobs don't necessitate skills learned in a couple years of Junior college or four year college but they require it anyway. The NBA is allowed to have stupid arbitrary requirements just the same. I disagree with them as I'm sure you do but it's perfectly within their rights.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »
You missed the point I was making but this was funny. The point is a lot of jobs don't necessitate skills learned in a couple years of Junior college or four year college but they require it anyway. The NBA is allowed to have stupid arbitrary requirements just the same. I disagree with them as I'm sure you do but it's perfectly within their rights.

Actually the NBA, or any other entitiy, is not allowed to have arbitrary requirements - that's discriminatory. 

The reason the NBA can limit it now is because of the CBA with the union.  The NFL could have lost to Maurice Clarett and their three rule would have been tossed.  However the NFL made the case that more physical maturity was required to play in the NFL, and the courts agreed.  (It has since been put into the CBA like it has with the NFL.)

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 09:38:43 AM »

Actually the NBA, or any other entitiy, is not allowed to have arbitrary requirements - that's discriminatory. 

The reason the NBA can limit it now is because of the CBA with the union.  The NFL could have lost to Maurice Clarett and their three rule would have been tossed.  However the NFL made the case that more physical maturity was required to play in the NFL, and the courts agreed.  (It has since been put into the CBA like it has with the NFL.)

Then why can other careers set job requirements like college degree required etc
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2018, 09:40:36 AM »
Then why can other careers set job requirements like college degree required etc

Because having a college degree isn't arbitrary. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2018, 09:45:58 AM »

Because having a college degree isn't arbitrary.

Ok what about jobs that say some college required? I'm not talking about jobs that require specific training you'd receive in college I'm talking sales jobs, customer service jobs things like that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/former-high-school-draftee-korleone-young-details-nba-191626426--nba.html?y20=1

The other side is represented by Koleone Young.

Would Korleone Young have been an NBA star had he spent a semester in college?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2018, 10:01:10 AM »
Ok what about jobs that say some college required? I'm not talking about jobs that require specific training you'd receive in college I'm talking sales jobs, customer service jobs things like that.

I don't recall many jobs that say "some college required."   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 11:07:54 AM »
Hasn’t the salary structure changed in the NBA for rookies? I thought it was more slotted than it used to be, so the contracts are a lot less now.

Yes. I think it was the "Luc Longley Rule" - ha!

Seriously, it was changed as part of the 1995 CBA negotiations so that rookies pretty much had to take what they are slotted to receive. There used to be protracted negotiations, holdouts, etc.

All of the players mentioned here came well after the CBA was changed and therefore all were slotted.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 06:46:33 AM »

Many manufacturing jobs/facilities require this.  It is a way to reduce the pool of applicants while at the same way improving the quality of the applicant (over generalization).  If you are offering pretty good jobs it is successful.  I don’t know with today’s tighter labor market if companies are still doing this. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »

I do
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 08:18:14 AM »
Would Korleone Young have been an NBA star had he spent a semester in college?

Who knows, but the point is, he had an opportunity to get a FREE college education.  Whether or not he uses it to his full advantage or would have taken anything away from it to help himself sans nba career would be a different story

The million dollar question is how many of these guys chase the pro dream over the education and walk away with neither...now what
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »
Who knows, but the point is, he had an opportunity to get a FREE college education.  Whether or not he uses it to his full advantage or would have taken anything away from it to help himself sans nba career would be a different story

The million dollar question is how many of these guys chase the pro dream over the education and walk away with neither...now what

Isn't that their choice?

Besides, they can always go back to school