[Today at 11:45:55 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:31:50 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by MuggsyB
[Today at 10:56:27 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by Herman Cain
[June 07, 2024, 09:51:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Hoya suxa  (Read 11308 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Hoya suxa
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2018, 09:43:29 PM »
Joey 6'9
Bailey 6'9
Morrow 6'7 load
Ike 6'10

No more getting pushed around.    A graduate PG away from some serious damage.

We'll certainly have length and height, I hope the brawn comes. For as much praise that Todd Smith and the strength program/resources get, its seems like we sure get out-muscled a lot over the years. I acknowledge guys do seem to make strides (JJJ, Heldt for example), we just don't typically have the Theo and Morrow types very often it seems. Interesting that Jae and DJO, two of our more physical guys, were all jucos that came in pretty well developed. Ultimately, I suppose it is probably more the recruiting profile and the era in which there really aren't that many 4-year guys to build up over an extended period rather than the strength program itself. Regardless, it sure will be nice to see John and Morrow push some people around next year rather than vice versa.

What a great win and entertaining game tonight.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »
We'll certainly have length and height, I hope the brawn comes. For as much praise that Todd Smith and the strength program/resources get, its seems like we sure get out-muscled a lot over the years. I acknowledge guys do seem to make strides (JJJ, Heldt for example), we just don't typically have the Theo and Morrow types very often it seems. Interesting that Jae and DJO, two of our more physical guys, were all jucos that came in pretty well developed. Ultimately, I suppose it is probably more the recruiting profile and the era in which there really aren't that many 4-year guys to build up over an extended period rather than the strength program itself. Regardless, it sure will be nice to see John and Morrow push some people around next year rather than vice versa.

What a great win and entertaining game tonight.

Jimmy F Butler was a worthy transformation.  He left MU with an NBA-ready frame.  He hadn't arrived with one.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2018, 09:53:49 PM »
Jimmy F Butler was a worthy transformation.  He left MU with an NBA-ready frame.  He hadn't arrived with one.

That's true. I had thought of him, but then thought he was defined but still pretty lean when he went pro. It's amazing how big he and Wes have gotten over the years.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2018, 10:34:47 PM »
It will, actually. Played on SJU's home floor so it counts that way

It won't be listed as a road game.

Does anyone know a definitive ruling on this. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2018, 10:35:52 PM »
Does anyone know a definitive ruling on this.

Looked at least year. SJU BET game listed as home game.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 11:05:33 PM »

There was a stretch where Georgetown got three crazy bounces in a row that led to three pointers. One bounced off a guy's foot and went straight to a wide open Blair. Boys didn't let it phase them.

I actually bemoaned that sequence and, as usual, my poor dog had to leave the room because she doesn't like hearing me swear loudly at the TV!

But I do like that this team has not been fazed by the bad bounces.

There have been a few times that some of the Debbie Downerest of our Debbie Downers here at Scoop have opined that Wojo was losing the team or that the players were quitting on him, but I have seen no signs of that. This team has worked hard and fought hard. The boyz have been resilient. Often, they've made too many mistakes or have simply been not good enough on a given night, but they ain't quitters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 11:06:06 PM »
At least the people crying for a 2-3 and our two best scorers to only average 40 combined minutes per game are quiet tonight.

This wasn't hard.  We played 1 great half of basketball going 2-3 and with only one of Howard/Rowsey in the game.  No doubt it was some great basketball.  But we also then played the worst team in the Big East and got a win with it.  Cool, not sure what we can take away form that, some people think it spells out the blueprint to MU success.  Others see it for what it is and it's a win we should've had.

So really other than one 20 minute half of basketball, our man to man is much better than our zone defense.  And without question we are a better team when both Howard and Rowsey are on the floor together.  Are there times where the ball stops moving because one/both of them go into hero ball mode, and at those times we'd be better off with only one of them in?  Sure.  But like when our season turned last year by inserting Rowsey into the starting lineup to go along with Howard, those two paired with Hauser leaves a tough defensive gameplan for our opposition.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 11:11:02 PM »
It really weirded me out to hear the announcers call him Pat Ewing. It just sounds wrong
No, they called Ewinn (You-Enn).
Those guys were pretty bad. No idea that the scoreboard was wrong? No idea.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2018, 11:13:19 PM »

10.   As it rang through the arena at the end of the overtime..... We are.... Marquette.   
That crowd was pathetic, but those cheers were loud and clear! Awesome.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2018, 11:14:58 PM »
No, they called Ewinn (You-Enn).
Those guys were pretty bad. No idea that the scoreboard was wrong? No idea.

That was pretty embarrassing, but I could see how it happened.

I was talking to the TV: "We're up 4 ... Wojo ain't sayin' anybody should foul anybody!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2018, 11:16:21 PM »

I was talking to the TV: "We're up 4 ... Wojo ain't sayin' anybody should foul anybody!"

Unless he's brought in Jason Kidd as a consultant.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2018, 11:26:41 PM »

I had to rewind because I was second guessing myself. The whole thing was ridiculous.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2018, 11:31:17 PM »
Looked at least year. SJU BET game listed as home game.

That's a plus.  We still may end up getting DePaul again though.  Wouldn't be surprised to see St. John's win one of their last two.

If so, they get the tiebreaker based on their win against Nova'.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2018, 07:46:36 AM »
I managed to make it through the game without yelling until the last second layup by Mulmore. Heldt literally stepped out of the way and gave him a clear path to the bucket.

Something liberating about that DePaul loss.  That for me meant the end of the NCAA hopes.  So I wasn't as nuts about the outcome of this game and could just enjoy a great, fun, college basketball game.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 07:52:01 AM »
4.  Not Sacar's best night.

Georgetown had enough size and quickness to prevent him from getting to the rim.  Take that away from him, and not much to offer at the offensive end at this point.  Georgetown denied that at a cost, as last night was the most good looks at the three we've had in over a month.

I think Sacar is the key to the Creighton game, because they don't have an obvious guy to stop him without leaving one of our shooters open.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2018, 08:04:09 AM »
yeah Sacar was a non factor last night, but Jamal really stepped up. He was so close on a couple of those
lay ups. Needs to work on his left hand, love these freshmen.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2018, 08:21:31 AM »
If anyone else posted about this, I missed it.

Does anyone think that maybe the reason that last Hoya bucket in regulation went basically uncontested was because at least some of the guys on the floor thought that Sam's shot was a 3-pointer?  I sure did watching at home.  If they weren't looking at his feet (and there certainly wasn't time to look up at the scoreboard), it wasn't unreasonable to think that.
Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2018, 08:26:44 AM »
If anyone else posted about this, I missed it.

Does anyone think that maybe the reason that last Hoya bucket in regulation went basically uncontested was because at least some of the guys on the floor thought that Sam's shot was a 3-pointer?  I sure did watching at home.  If they weren't looking at his feet (and there certainly wasn't time to look up at the scoreboard), it wasn't unreasonable to think that.

Not a bad theory. It would explain why Heldt stepped out of the way and allowed a virtually uncontested layup
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

connie

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2018, 08:27:12 AM »
Good game.  Great win.  Let's shoot for three in a row.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2018, 08:33:04 AM »
Not a bad theory. It would explain why Heldt stepped out of the way and allowed a virtually uncontested layup

Yep.  I was literally yelling at the TV, "Everyone get out of his way!" and was confused when the Hoya fans started going crazy after the bucket.  IIRC, the TV angle for Sam's shot only showed him from the knees up.
Have some patience, FFS.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:59 AM »
Good game.  Great win.  Let's shoot for three in a row.
Let’s start with two!
No Finish Line

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2018, 08:43:07 AM »
Yep.  I was literally yelling at the TV, "Everyone get out of his way!" and was confused when the Hoya fans started going crazy after the bucket.  IIRC, the TV angle for Sam's shot only showed him from the knees up.

Yes! I thought the exact same thing while watching. It makes sense that Heldt would get out of the way

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2018, 08:50:32 AM »
yes I thought it was a 3 also, confusing end of regulation play.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2018, 08:54:02 AM »
At least the people crying for a 2-3 and our two best scorers to only average 40 combined minutes per game are quiet tonight.

This wasn't hard.  We played 1 great half of basketball going 2-3 and with only one of Howard/Rowsey in the game.  No doubt it was some great basketball.  But we also then played the worst team in the Big East and got a win with it.  Cool, not sure what we can take away form that, some people think it spells out the blueprint to MU success.  Others see it for what it is and it's a win we should've had.

So really other than one 20 minute half of basketball, our man to man is much better than our zone defense.  And without question we are a better team when both Howard and Rowsey are on the floor together.  Are there times where the ball stops moving because one/both of them go into hero ball mode, and at those times we'd be better off with only one of them in?  Sure.  But like when our season turned last year by inserting Rowsey into the starting lineup to go along with Howard, those two paired with Hauser leaves a tough defensive gameplan for our opposition.

We played M2M ~85% of the game last night Wades.  We yielded 86 points to a team ranked 100 in D-1 in O-Efficiency.  We've played exactly 1 half of exclusively zone against a MUCH better offensive team, Creighton, and got much better results.

I can agree that having our Big Three on the floor does make for a tough defensive gameplan for opposing coaches, no doubt.  Still not sold by any means playing Andrew and Markus together is the best approach.  Markus was better last night - much more efficient and selective in his shooting - so that helped.  But, we are a defensive sh$t show in M2M with Markus and Andrew on the floor together.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »
We played M2M ~85% of the game last night Wades.  We yielded 86 points to a team ranked 100 in D-1 in O-Efficiency.  We've played exactly 1 half of exclusively zone against a MUCH better offensive team, Creighton, and got much better results.

I can agree that having our Big Three on the floor does make for a tough defensive gameplan for opposing coaches, no doubt.  Still not sold by any means playing Andrew and Markus together is the best approach.  Markus was better last night - much more efficient and selective in his shooting - so that helped.  But, we are a defensive sh$t show in M2M with Markus and Andrew on the floor together.

The easiest way to beat a zone is to have high low post presence.  CU's best post player is hurt, and there other big is their best three point shooter so a zone works against them.  GU two best players are both post players, so one can flash to the open area around the free throw line, while the other stays under the basket.  GU was hitting the free throw line jump shot that CU wouldn't even take because they were missing it so much.  That forced Matt to come out and defend it and they just dumped it down to the other and Jamal was late on the rotation and gave up an and one.  I know, a foul from the zone, impossible.

You have to play match-ups.  CU is a bad matchup for a zone, even if they are a better offensive team overall than GU.  GU was also hitting an above average number of three's in the first half.  And while the D wasn't right up on them, they wen't wide open three's.  If a team is hitting 3's, you generally don't throw a zone at them, because it is easier to get good looks.  That is why team don't play a lot of zone against us.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

feedback