Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: What is it with Harangody and fouls  (Read 6439 times)

NotAnAlum

• All American
What is it with Harangody and fouls
« on: January 12, 2008, 10:21:24 PM »
Don't get me wrong the guy is a solid player and I'd love to have him on our team but how can a guy who's primary "game" is muscle, play 31 minutes and get one personal foul.  For anyone looking at the Cracked Sidewalks site we have a picture of Harangody fouling an MU player.  What is the likelihood of that picture recorded his ONLY foul.  I just don't get why refs consistently give one guy a pass.  The same thing happened when we played at ND last year.  Harangody pushed and shoved including at one point throwing Fitz out of bounds and gets called for nothing.  I really fear what is going to happen when we go to ND and we don't have the crowd.  This guy will foul the entire MU team out.

lovebaroney

• Walk-On
Re: What is it with Harangody and fouls
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:40:51 PM »
Don't get me wrong the guy is a solid player and I'd love to have him on our team but how can a guy who's primary "game" is muscle, play 31 minutes and get one personal foul.  For anyone looking at the Cracked Sidewalks site we have a picture of Harangody fouling an MU player.  What is the likelihood of that picture recorded his ONLY foul.  I just don't get why refs consistently give one guy a pass.  The same thing happened when we played at ND last year.  Harangody pushed and shoved including at one point throwing Fitz out of bounds and gets called for nothing.  I really fear what is going to happen when we go to ND and we don't have the crowd.  This guy will foul the entire MU team out.

You know the same stuff gets posted each game, but if you've ever played ball you realize that the more aggressive team down low gets the most fouls.  He only had one personal because he was gaurding Barro and Burke, who rarely get touches.  The crowd sarcasticly cheers each game when we get a whistle, but the truth is we shoot tons of jumpers and reach in to much. 

LovinCrowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 11:14:20 PM »

I totally agree with NotAnAlum -

I could not believe how he got away with murder.  Plus, did you notice how all he did was whine to the officials (well actually the whole team whined)???  They all looked so exasperated when a call was made on them.

He pretty much is their whole team though - not much else there.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 11:14:38 PM »
The complaining comes because he NEVER gets called for going over the back on rebounds and shoving people out of the way with his butt. He doesn't do anything on the defensive end against quick teams because he can't. He is a terrific offensive player, but despite his 29 points today he was responsible for about eight turnovers.

chefrad

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 11:31:11 PM »

ND complained about fouls? They got 10 more FT than MU. They need a game up at the Kohl Center as a reality check.

As for Harangody, the guy is good. Admit it and move on. A 26 point win ought to set the mood for magnanimity.  The fact that he is a jerk like Hansborough probably helps his intensity as a player.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 11:34:41 PM »
You guys kill me - "i wish we had him on our team".  This after we beat them by almost 30 pts.  Are you kidding, he would not fit in.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 08:36:26 AM »
5 out of the first seven fouls on MU were made on players guarding Harangody.  But yet he continued to complain to the officials during just about every dead ball.  He is a beast inside, but he complains way too much.  If he didn't complain I would hate him like I did Steve Logan (respected).  I dislike him as much as Francisco Garcia (a lot). 

And he should have drawn a foul on the Matthews "jump ball."  There is no way he got up to block that shot.

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 10:24:57 AM »
Harangody?  I thought that was Gary Busey.

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 12:33:00 PM »
we were calling him the hedgehog.

muPARTY

• Starter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 01:23:59 PM »
first of all, i was talking to my dad about the game, and we both agreed it was one of the better officiated Marquette games we've seen.  every game has some no calls and some ticky-tack calls, but this game was really good about not having many of either.

The complaining comes because he NEVER gets called for going over the back on rebounds
i LOVE hearing people cry foul about over the back.  folks let me clear up a myth here... IT DOESN'T EXIST!  the foul only happens when they make contact, like any other foul.  you can have your arms over a person's shoulder all you want, it's clean if you never touch the guy.

and shoving people out of the way with his butt. ....

it's called posting up.  go back and look at film from the 2002-2003 season, Robert Jackson did the same thing when he posts up.  that's the advantage to having a post player who's built like a post player.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 01:46:47 PM »
we were calling him the hedgehog.

BLASHPHEMY!!!!
We all know the only true Hedgehog is none other than Mr. Ron Jeremy

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »
The complaining comes because he NEVER gets called for going over the back on rebounds
i LOVE hearing people cry foul about over the back.  folks let me clear up a myth here... IT DOESN'T EXIST!  the foul only happens when they make contact, like any other foul.  you can have your arms over a person's shoulder all you want, it's clean if you never touch the guy.

Okay, so "over the back" is not an official term, but I'm sure what the poster was referring to is the fact that contact WAS made by the person further from the bucket.  The common term for that is "over the back."  So, it does exist.  If I'm behind a man and I make contact with him from behind while trying to get the ball, it is commonly referred to as "over the back".  That's a foul.  How can you say "IT DOES NOT EXIST"?  If you are taller than the inside player and are able to reach over the top of him without making contact (perhaps aided by the trajectory of the ball off the rim), then it is not a foul - or not "over the back."

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 03:36:51 PM »
I would love to have Harongody on MU's team;  but, the guy did certainly committ more than one foul yesterday.  He initiated an awful lot of contact on both ends of the court.  Hard to be on a team losing that badly, initiate contact and not get called. Also had several traveling call that the refs overlooked (though, I would have to say that the refs were pretty loose on traveling the whole game).

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »
THE BIG FLOPPER

The guy is very talented offensively but pushes off to establish position to get ball. Then uses his non dribbling hand to push off the defender and spin to the hole. I saw one play where he backed down  Mathews at least two or three feet to try and get a rebound. Then Fitz came over his side and the ball went out of bounds. Harangody proceeded to dive out of bounds and make it look like was pushed out of bounds. I will never like that guy after what happened in last years game at South Bend. He flops as bad as any Duke guy.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 09:23:37 PM by 77fan88warrior »

spartan3186

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 12:53:25 AM »
Flopangody

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 05:56:50 AM »
Agreed that he's a complete flop artist.  I think it was ooze that was whistled in the 2nd half for a foul after Flopangody had established position, received the ball, arched his back, then seemed to slip or fall on his own only to have ooze whistled for the foul.  Not only was it a terrible call but Jerel had doubled down and had swiped the ball away for what would have been an MU steal but no...foul.  Even "Badger" Mike Kelley noted that he didn't see anything to warrant a call.  Those types of things drive you crazy because for being 6' 9" and over 250 lbs he sure seemed to get pushed around alot.  I think Trend held his post position better than Flopangody and trend probably gives up 100 lbs.
By the way, how sweet was Trend's block!!??

Boognish_MU

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »
By the way, how sweet was Trend's block!!??

I liked when Trend poked the ball out of Harangody's hands when harangody was just starting to back down. 

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »
From my perspective - that being section 422 - it looked to me that Harongody played a good, solid first half. He was a monster inside and neither Barro or Burke couldn't do anything to stop him.  They didn't establish position in the post and they may not be able to b/c not only is Harongody bigger than those two, but he is quicker on his feet.
But in the second half, Harongody was flopping around at every opportunity and he got the benefit of the calls.  Some of his histrionics were laughable, but the calls still went his favor.  What was most maddening was that despite this, he still complained to the ref anytime a call went against ND.  I'm sure he was frustrated with how the game was going, but I can't stand the guy.

"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

WashDCWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 12:07:57 PM »
Anybody who thinks having a player like Haragody wouldn't help Marquette, is kidding themselves.  He's a heck of a player who had 29 and 14 against us while single-handedly getting our team in SERIOUS foul trouble.

I'm not saying there aren't things that make him easy to dislike, but not any moreso than say, Cubillan.

It's amazing how the name on the front of the jersey makes the difference between a player being a flopper vs. crafty or a bully vs. pyhsical.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 12:14:36 PM »
Crafty?
If we have a flopper I'll call him a flopper.  I never said I wouldn't take Harangody on our Team because I certainly would.  However, he did flop quite a bit in the second half and that's just calling a spade a spade.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »
Anybody who thinks having a player like Haragody wouldn't help Marquette, is kidding themselves.  He's a heck of a player who had 29 and 14 against us while single-handedly getting our team in SERIOUS foul trouble.

I'm not saying there aren't things that make him easy to dislike, but not any moreso than say, Cubillan.

It's amazing how the name on the front of the jersey makes the difference between a player being a flopper vs. crafty or a bully vs. pyhsical.

I can't believe anyone could possibly watch that game and not think that all he does is flop to draw fouls. He doesn't have quick enough moves down low to draw real fouls so he just falls down a lot. It's obvious that DJ flops a lot too, but it's a little more expected from a guy who is 5 10 180 than a guy who is 6 9 260

feedback