Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: FBI Probe into College Basketball  (Read 14012 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
Re: FBI Probe into College Basketball
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 10:02:12 PM »
Sean Miller, RIP.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 10:32:29 PM »
I understand your point. And understand the situation.

I'm just looking at what the NCAA has done in the past.

They let the OSU football guys play in their bowl game, for example.

Got it, we're on the same page. 

My statement on "that is a big problem," is my interpretation to the fallout when they inevitably do nothing (as they have done in the past). 

Then again, maybe it will not be a big problem.  We as a society have a way to find corruption and immoral actions perfectly fine if the results benefit us...sad.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 10:42:22 PM »
3,000 hours of wiretaps on Dawkins!!!
Goal is National Championship

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 10:44:17 PM »
Crean = Squirmy

🏀

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
Crean = Squirmy

Say that two more times and Chicos will appear.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 11:00:31 PM »
The two threads should probably be merged.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 11:08:10 PM »
So you're assuming a connection between his taking money contingent upon going to Maryland. But why Maryland? Why would the agent/firm tell him the money is conditional on that school?

I would've always assumed the Under Armour tie, as Stone played for an Under Armour AAU program and Maryland is an Under Armour school. That said, Wisconsin did transition to Under Armour around the time Stone was being recruited.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2018, 11:12:03 PM »

Probably, once topper closes down the Muskego Arby's, he'll fix it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:14:02 PM by PTM »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2018, 11:12:13 PM »
I would've always assumed the Under Armour tie, as Stone played for an Under Armour AAU program and Maryland is an Under Armour school. That said, Wisconsin did transition to Under Armour around the time Stone was being recruited.

Agree on under armour. But that seems unrelated (for now) to the agent stuff

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2018, 11:12:55 PM »

Agree.  You'd have to be Sybil to keep up....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »
Agree on under armour. But that seems unrelated (for now) to the agent stuff

I have a feeling the "for now" is the most important point. We know Louisville used a shoe company to get money to Bowen, looks like Arizona used an agent for Ayton. No reason to think both weren't going on at other schools, and I'm sure some players were smart enough to get paid more than once.

I'll be honest, I'm worried about this. I can't assume Marquette is clean just because we don't know any better or just because it's my alma mater. We did land a McDonald's All-American. We have had a ton of 4-star recruits. There are things that give me some solace, like Marquette getting out on a certain 5-star kid from Milwaukee very early in the recruiting process, but according to Matt Norlander, Tom Crean said on record something to the effect of 'I wasn't involved in that stuff, but it would be naive for me to think it wasn't going on around me.'

Like him or hate him, Crean has about as clean a reputation as one can have. I suppose on the public front, Izzo does too. But Crean acknowledging that there may have been things going on behind the scenes and the release of Dwayne Stephens' name (ties to both Crean & Izzo) sure does make one wonder.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2018, 11:29:11 PM »
The kids at Marathon Oil and Athletes in Action have to be pumped at their potential 1 seeds in the tournament.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2018, 11:48:04 PM »
The kids at Marathon Oil and Athletes in Action have to be pumped at their potential 1 seeds in the tournament.

For sure. The whole CBB landscape is ripe with BS. Miller is toast at UA and more to follow.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2018, 11:55:13 PM »
I get the ineligibility part, but if a guy has already declared, and is planning to hire an agent, why would they care about eligibility? For example, if Rowsey got a loan this year in April, would it be illegal? It doesn't matter at all if it's against NCAA regulations to him, because he's done anyway. I'm wondering more about the legality.
That is different once he declares and gets into any transaction with an agent it is not illigal but he becomes ineligible per NCAA rules if he has not completed his eligibility.
Goal is National Championship

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2018, 12:27:00 AM »
If the information gathered is just from the last three years (the initial scope of the investigation), I'm not worried in the slightest. If there is anything, it will be of the "Henry got a meal paid for by Jay Z after he finished playing basketball for us" variety.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2018, 03:12:28 AM »

👍🤔😂👍
don't...don't don't don't don't

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2018, 03:42:42 AM »
Arizona should do their investigation, pull themselves out of the tournament and fire Miller for cause.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2018, 03:50:23 AM »
But seriously the economics involved is making a mockery of the quest for amateurism. Time to evolve.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2018, 04:54:35 AM »
I think the affects a few individuals but would be shocked if this affects broad swaths of schools.  Big time CBball isn’t going away - maybe will change a little bit the blue bloods aren’t losing their b-ball programs. 

Also if pervasive I wonder how many individuals this really sticks to.  I mean it looks bad for Miller because he is second.  But if he is one of 10, 20, 30?  For him the more implicated the better now. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2018, 05:07:37 AM »
What if the stipulation was purely just giving them first access as agents when he turns pro?

I don't have the answer. You seem to be implying you've connected dots. Dots that may or may not be there

you’re assuming he was given $14k and told to have fun and do whatever as long as you call me when you’re ready to go pro.

So let me quote that famous philosopher jesmu84 back at you ...

You [also] seem to be implying you've connected dots. Dots that may or may not be there

My position that the money came with stipulations, like attending Maryland, is less of a stretch than yours That it came with no stipulations.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2018, 05:12:00 AM »
So you're assuming a connection between his taking money contingent upon going to Maryland. But why Maryland? Why would the agent/firm tell him the money is conditional on that school?

Maryland is not just an under Armour school... it’s CEO Kevin Plank is an alum of Maryland and the single largest donor to Maryland,with nearly all his money going to athletics.  Only Phil Knight (CEO of Nike) support of Oregon (alum) is larger.

In under Armour’s world, the top of the mountain is Maryland, just like Oregon is the top of the Nike world.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:16:12 AM by Tugg Speedman »

connie

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2018, 06:10:23 AM »
I have a feeling the "for now" is the most important point. We know Louisville used a shoe company to get money to Bowen, looks like Arizona used an agent for Ayton. No reason to think both weren't going on at other schools, and I'm sure some players were smart enough to get paid more than once.

I'll be honest, I'm worried about this. I can't assume Marquette is clean just because we don't know any better or just because it's my alma mater. We did land a McDonald's All-American. We have had a ton of 4-star recruits. There are things that give me some solace, like Marquette getting out on a certain 5-star kid from Milwaukee very early in the recruiting process, but according to Matt Norlander, Tom Crean said on record something to the effect of 'I wasn't involved in that stuff, but it would be naive for me to think it wasn't going on around me.'

Like him or hate him, Crean has about as clean a reputation as one can have. I suppose on the public front, Izzo does too. But Crean acknowledging that there may have been things going on behind the scenes and the release of Dwayne Stephens' name (ties to both Crean & Izzo) sure does make one wonder.
I agree.  Let's not be naive.: "As the head basketball coach at the University of Arizona, I recognize my responsibility is not only to establish a culture of success on the basketball court and in the classroom, but as important, to promote and reinforce a culture of compliance," Miller said.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2018, 06:18:19 AM »
I think Blue Chips is a lock to win best documentary film at the Oscars tomorrow.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »
Because there is a recording of him soliciting payment for a player.  Case closed. 

If you let him play and them go to the tournament, and then punish them later it accomplishes nothing.  They already got what they wanted out of Ayton, and Ayton got what he wanted out of Arizona. 

You punish random other people. 

Without Ayton (should have been ineligible) and Trier (PED use) they wouldn't be making the NCAA tournament, they are in right now, because they cheated.  If you let them in, despite knowing they cheated, they prove that it is better to cheat than to play fair.

Due process is due process.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2018, 08:27:36 AM »
Due process is due process.

True, and it could very well apply to the NCAA (a private entity) because it appears to be acting in concert with the FBI (a government entity).

That said, there is nothing to prevent AZ from choosing to impose a voluntary ban. And if you look at the AZ message boards, the fans generally seem to be on board with that....

feedback