Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Confirmation bias night  (Read 8856 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Confirmation bias night
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 10:59:31 PM »
Quiet night in here.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
Much more comfortable with greg at the point than howard.  He has a better handle than howard, has prolly 5 inches on howard and prolly 10 inches in reach on howard.  He is truly pass first oriented and has a good eye for the pass.  Lastly, he is playing with basically a cast on his hand.  From what i have seen he is very very capable at the 1 or 2.  Still hoping for a grad transfer but have a lot of confidence with a healthy elliott at pg next yr.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2018, 11:03:31 PM »
A one hand on the wall due to 6 beers deep kind of piss?

Hands free.  Peed like a real man!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2018, 11:11:16 PM »
All season I’ve wondered why so many on this board think Greg has PG talent-
Haven’t seen it all year, and certainly not tonight.
3 possessions with him at point and 2 TOs. 

He’ll be awesome at MU, but not at the 1

He is playing with one hand essentially. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

mug644

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »

You have forever skewed how I view that classic and wonderful photo.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2018, 11:28:20 PM »
Maybe Wojo's best home home victory in four years in terms of coaching (Nova for overall but that was because we got hot). 

• Defensive switches. Man. Zone. Match-up. Hybrid overplaying one side (Synergy hat tip). Ponds 1-11 in the paint. "Defend the paint!"
  • We made fun of Tanned Tommy but the length gave us a lot of deflections tonight.
  • Students? AWOL
  • The Frosh are city ballers and match one turnover with three great plays.
  • Seamless Sam.  I keep saying "take over" only to see he already has.
  • Last game in the BC for me.  No better way than to end it with a V on Al's Night.  Special.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:01 PM »
I am a big proponent of Greg at the point for next year.  I went to the game and watched him very carefully tonight.  Presently, his hand is clearly an issue, it seems like he is almost playing one handed at times. So in effect, he does not have a true handle right now and his limitations on the change of direction type of plays he can make. Everything is north and south.  In a way he reminds me a bit of how Luke played one handed through the bad shoulder his first season.I think when Greg's hand  is fully healthy he will be very effective running the offense. For now, he is playing an important role on the team ,s a very key player in our stretch run and someone we need on the floor as much as possible.

Quick pat on my own back...about 3 weeks ago I made several points and was told I was wrong (1)Theo, Elliot and Cain should play more for their defense, 2)Elliot should run some point because he actually looks to pass, 3) Heldt and John should play more, 4) less Froling, 5) Howard and Rowsey should play only 6-10 mins together, 6) more zone due to our lack of speed, etc)

Now moving to Herman Cain's post, Elliott looked to be in too much of a hurry tonight.  It reminded me of Wade's 1st year when he was often too fast (aka, out of control) with the ball.  Elliott will get better with more experience. 

I liked tonight how without Rowsey and Howard in the game together, the other players look to shoot or make plays more.  Everyone did a great job moving the ball tonight.  All were aggressive.  Penetration and passing led to open shots.  When Rowsey and Howard are together, the other guys basically sit back and rely on them. 

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2018, 11:53:47 PM »
It was so refreshing to see Theo draw in defenders near the paint and then dish it out to an open three shooter. Makes you realize the things we can do if we have a legitimate scoring threat down low.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:26 AM »
Listening to Wojo on Homer and Macs post-game show. I believe it is the first time I have heard him speak after a game where he wasn't hoarse.

What does he sound like?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

fjm

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2018, 05:30:47 AM »
At the game last eve!
Great game, well done by the team.

Thought wojo coached a great game. Theo played his great game!

If we can keep this up, teams will be fairly busy trying to keep up. Cain is now a legit threat from 3. Elliott is also. Sacra doesn't give a shiz anymore, he's going to the hoop and he's confident in it. Theo looked fairly smooth last night.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2018, 06:00:30 AM »
We go 0-3 the next 3 games. We won because the Johnnies were off their game.

Fair and balanced confirmation bias.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2018, 06:16:30 AM »
Last game in the BC for me.  No better way than to end it with a V on Al's Night.  Special.

Quite possibly my last BC game as well. If so, it was quite the way to go out. Great win in a needed game, made the JumboTron, lots of highlight reel plays, and the W was an early birthday present.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

connie

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2018, 06:37:30 AM »
I like seeing strong, post up Sam.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2018, 06:37:46 AM »
Most complete game we played all year.  On to DePaul.  One at a time.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2018, 07:02:04 AM »

How do you keep it from resting on the urinal? Yuck!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2018, 07:04:25 AM »
What does he sound like?

Honestly I almost didn't recognize that it was him. Not only was he voice not rough, he was speaking in a very animated and enthusiastic way - not the canned monotone coach speak he normally uses in interviews.

I like this Wojo. I hope we see and hear him a lot more often going forward.
Have some patience, FFS.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2018, 07:05:43 AM »
It was a good game.  They really looked like a team out there which is refreshing to see.  Like the mixing of defenses and better paint protection as well.  This team has such a margin of error on 'O' since we can score in bunches...keep teams in the high 70s/low 80s and we can win a bunch of games.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2018, 07:30:28 AM »
NM
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:36:03 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2018, 07:44:22 AM »

Maybe ya shoulda just played it safe and squatted on da throne, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2018, 07:58:04 AM »

Maybe ya shoulda just played it safe and squatted on da throne, hey?

In the 20+ year history of the Bradley Center, have you ever seen a throne that didn't have a pool of piss on the rim? Don't know that you could call that safe
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2018, 08:32:24 AM »
Piss no matta, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »
Big W. Never really doubt.

While I understand what you are saying, I think the sequence at the end of the first half was huge.  STJ had the ball down one with less than a second difference between the shot and game clock.  They took a shot that missed with 10 seconds to go.  We grabbed the rebound and Cain hit a three with the clock running out.

A four point lead was much better than a one point deficit.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »
Honestly I almost didn't recognize that it was him. Not only was he voice not rough, he was speaking in a very animated and enthusiastic way - not the canned monotone coach speak he normally uses in interviews.

I like this Wojo. I hope we see and hear him a lot more often going forward.

Animated and enthusiastic are apparently fairly subjective words. He was happy with the win, proud of the effort against Ponds, and offered lots of canned commentary on Markus and the freshmen. Markus is day to day, I care about my players' health, I'm just listening to the doctors, Jamal has gotten better, Jamal is more comfortable shooting... etc.

The thread title is spot on because as I listened, I was disappointed because I wanted to hear a little more about the defensive plan (why we didn't start in zone, for example) and more about his thoughts on playing without his leading scorer. Maybe Homer just ins't a very good interviewer, but I was kinda bummer that we didn't get much out of Wojo. I will say he was more animated than Ben Stein, but I think the general description of him is kind of a stretch.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »

While I understand what you are saying, I think the sequence at the end of the first half was huge.  STJ had the ball down one with less than a second difference between the shot and game clock.  They took a shot that missed with 10 seconds to go.  We grabbed the rebound and Cain hit a three with the clock running out.

A four point lead was much better than a one point deficit.
It was actually a 4 second difference between the shot clock and game clock.  As the Johnnies came down the floor, I was thinking that we may still have enough time for a last shot after their possession.  Thankfully the shot was put up with 10 though, Cain grabbed the board and hit the three.  Definitely a good way to end the half.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 09:10:06 AM »
I thought we were more effective in zone than man, but it was really important to mix the man in.  Especially after putting so much of it on tape, St. John's had to have been preparing a lot for it.  Great job by Wojo.

Thought Theo John had a great game in many ways.

I still don't see Greg as a PG.  Yeah, I know he has the thumb issue, but it doesn't seem to be hindering his shooting (or dunking) a considerable amount.  I'm sure it impacts his handle more than those items, but I'm not convinced that a healthy thumb turns Greg into someone I'm comfortable running the point and trying to break a press.  That said, absolutely love the kid and what he brings to this team.

feedback