[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Fox News Exec on Olympics: Darker, Gayer, Different  (Read 1559 times)

MU82

• All American
Fox News Exec on Olympics: Darker, Gayer, Different
« on: February 10, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »
Fox News’ John Moody, who serves as the network’s executive vice president and an executive editor, posted an incredible rant on the site. The network had to take it down, apologize and say it "does not reflect views or values of Fox News."

Of course, it did exactly that. Here's Moody's rant:

Unless it’s changed overnight, the motto of the Olympics, since 1894, has been “Faster, Higher, Stronger.” It appears the U.S. Olympic Committee would like to change that to “Darker, Gayer, Different.” If your goal is to win medals, that won’t work.

A USOC official was quoted this week expressing pride (what else?) about taking the most diverse U.S. squad ever to the Winter Olympics. That was followed by a, frankly, embarrassing laundry list of how many African-Americans, Asians and openly gay athletes are on this year’s U.S. team. No sport that we are aware of awards points – or medals – for skin color or sexual orientation.

For the current USOC, a dream team should look more like the general population. So, while uncomfortable, the question probably needs to be asked: were our Olympians selected because they’re the best at what they do, or because they’re the best publicity for our current obsession with having one each from Column A, B and C?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
Re: Fox News Exec on Olympics: Darker, Gayer, Different
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 01:43:14 PM »
Dude...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 02:00:27 PM »
Shocking!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »
While the rant was beyond stupid, and there is no reason to think that the USOC did anything but select the most deserving participants, but I'd like to think in a truly enlightened society we'd be trumpeting the great athletic talent of the team rather than celebrating its diversity.

OTOH, I hadn't read about this before watching the opening ceremonies, but after jokingly telling me wife that the winter Olympics are the white people's Olympics, I did mention to her that it was nice that the US team had a lot of different type faces compared to the other countries.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »
Other than again (and again) reminding every one of your instability, what is the point of this thread?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 02:32:22 PM »
Other than again (and again) reminding every one of your instability, what is the point of this thread?

There are some unstable people on this site. We are all, to a degree. I would not put 82 anywhere near the top of the list

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 02:34:34 PM »
While the rant was beyond stupid, and there is no reason to think that the USOC did anything but select the most deserving participants, but I'd like to think in a truly enlightened society we'd be trumpeting the great athletic talent of the team rather than celebrating its diversity.

OTOH, I hadn't read about this before watching the opening ceremonies, but after jokingly telling me wife that the winter Olympics are the white people's Olympics, I did mention to her that it was nice that the US team had a lot of different type faces compared to the other countries.

Not knowing anything about you, I'll speak only for myself as someone who is not in any minority classification. In the purest sense, what you've said is the ideal. Talent is talent. But I imagine that for people in any sort of minority, it is to be celebrated that these athletes' talents can manifest themselves in an Olympic bid. This, as opposed to entry into the Olympics by the best athletes in the country who are also straight and white, which one could argue is the historical scenario.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 02:48:20 PM »
There are some unstable people on this site. We are all, to a degree. I would not put 82 anywhere near the top of the list

He's is in a category by himself.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »
Question for mods, you ban people here for political talk.  Why isn't this thread locked and 82 on a week's vacation from this site?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
Question for mods, you ban people here for political talk.  Why isn't this thread locked and 82 on a week's vacation from this site?

Did you report it?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 03:17:10 PM »

The mods generally agree with 82.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 03:33:37 PM »
Seems like an incredibly stupid thing to say to me.  Now if our team was somehow selected based on diversity it would be a huge scandal, right?  But I've not heard that at all.  Not sure why anyone would care about someone's background.  Aren't they all red, white and blue this week?   ::)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 03:35:48 PM »
Fox gotta Fox.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2018, 03:48:27 PM »
I mean, last time I checked, Team USA has a pretty competitive qualification process...Just an example, J.R. Celski almost didn't qualify this year because he had a near disastrous olympic qualifying.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2018, 04:32:03 PM »
The mods generally agree with 82.

Thanks for saying that, because I agree with it.

Mods ban political speech unless it is the unstable left-wing type that fits their ideology.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2018, 04:38:44 PM »

Mods ban political speech unless it is the unstable left-wing type that fits their ideology.

Did.

You.

Report.

It?

My guess is no.  That you care more about your comments then you do that the topic is here.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2018, 04:45:11 PM »

What exactly is "unstable left-wing" about what 82 posted?  The only thing i can think of is that you disagree with his extending the views Moody expressed to the 'views and values of Fox news'. 

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2018, 04:46:36 PM »
I'd like to think in a truly enlightened society we'd be trumpeting the great athletic talent of the team rather than celebrating its diversity.

This.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »

1. That's a good one, Smuggles. The idea of you taking issue with any topic posted by any fellow Scooper is laughable.

2. This thread does not mention any political party, any politician or any political issue at all! Or to you, are all racial/sexual orientation issues automatically "political"?

3. Therefore, this is not a political thread unless that's how YOU see it. It is about a major news network's executive vice president ripping the USOC and displaying so much insensitivity that his network had to take it down.

4. Hmmm ... I'm sensing a guy who maybe sees a little too much of his smug little self in the racist exec VP.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2018, 04:48:42 PM »
This.

Yeah but we are hardly "an enlightened society."

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 05:00:38 PM »
1. That's a good one, Smuggles. The idea of you taking issue with any topic posted by any fellow Scooper is laughable.

2. This thread does not mention any political party, any politician or any political issue at all! Or to you, are all racial/sexual orientation issues automatically "political"?

3. Therefore, this is not a political thread unless that's how YOU see it. It is about a major news network's executive vice president ripping the USOC and displaying so much insensitivity that his network had to take it down.

4. Hmmm ... I'm sensing a guy who maybe sees a little too much of his smug little self in the racist exec VP.

thank you so much for this post.... really

Because in this post you did a better job of showing just how unstable you are Thani ever could.

If the mods will not ban you, then at least pin this at he top.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »

Did.

You.

Report.

It?

My guess is no.  That you care more about your comments then you do that the topic is here.

I did report it.

Nothing will come of it ... they agree with 82

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 05:06:30 PM »
It's not political, snowflake.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 05:08:33 PM by MU82 »

feedback