[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Passing of the Tech Baton  (Read 1812 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Passing of the Tech Baton
« on: February 02, 2018, 08:39:35 PM »
Scott Galloway is a NYU professor, he is also founder of the firm L2

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/faculty/bio/scott-galloway

He is also the author of the new book "The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google"
https://www.amazon.com/Four-Hidden-Amazon-Facebook-Google/dp/0525501223

Galloway is not "some guy" but he is an established thinker regarding tech and where it is going. Very well respected.

-----------------------

Galloway was interviewed on Bloomberg radio yesterday and said some astounding things.  So astonishing that I wrote them down.  Love to hear comments.  Again Galloway knows what he is talking about.

(8:20 minute radio interview)
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2018-02-01/bloomberg-markets-galloway-on-passing-of-tech-baton

Yesterday... Thursday, February 1, was an important day in the history of business (his words).  It was the passing of the most important product ever made, the iPhone, to the new most important product ever made, the Amazon Echo.

He thinks we have seen "peak Apple" and by the end of year Amazon passes Apple as the most valuable company.  (Currently Apple $814 billion, Amazon $692 billion).  He also thinks Amazon will be the first trillion dollar company (not Apple).

What happened Thursday that caused him to say this?  Amazon reported its earnings and its CEO Jeff Bezos said the Amazon Echo (Alexa) beat all of its projections even its most optimist ones.  On the same day, Apple announced poor sales for the iPhone X and dramatically cut its production.  Out with the old and in with the new.

Galloway said soon one-third of all computing will be done without a screen. It will be voice commands.   He thinks we are now moving from a screen world (smartphones and tablets) to a voice world.  We are in the process of talking to computers, not looking at them.

He also said that Apple totally blew it.  They owned voice five years ago when they debut Siri and let this dominance slip away to Amazon (and to a lesser extent Google Home).  Apple this does not yet have a competing product (announced a few months ago but still not available).

Two-thirds of American households have Amazon Prime.  More people have a recurring revenue stream with Amazon than voted in the 2016 election or pay for cable TV. 

He said that Amazon is so important and so dominant that the mere mention of their name causes entire industries to get revalued.  Also, on Thursday JP Morgan, Berkshire Hathaway, and Amazon announced they were getting into the healthcare business.  Immediately, off a press release with no specifics, the entire healthcare industry lost $31 billion in value.  Why?  As Galloway put it, the press release said "Amazon."  We saw this last year when the entire valuation of the grocery business changed overnight with their purchase of Whole Foods. (Galloway also suggested if the press release replaced Amazon with Goldman Sachs, it would have had no effect on the healthcare stocks.)  Amazon can pull off "Jedi mind tricks" in that they can change reality by just thinking it (announcing they are getting into the industry with offering any specifics is enough to wreck existing players in that industry.)

Alexa/Voice is the transformative technology now.  Not driverless, 3D printing, the blockchain, augmented reality or, virtual reality.  They are all taking a back seat to voice.  Amazon "owns it" and Apple let it "run down their leg."

The biggest threat Amazon has is regulation.  But not out of Washington.  Amazon is too big and they will not touch it.  It is coming from a red state making a populist argument in the Governor's mansion or, most likely, from Brussels as the EU regulates them.  Big tech's worse nightmare is this person who can stop them in their tracks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrethe_Vestager
https://ec.europa.eu/commission/commissioners/2014-2019/vestager_en

In sum, the most important and most dominant company in the world is Amazon.  Their scope and influence rival the Federal Government.  Again, every year more people regularly buy products from Amazon than vote.  Bezos is equal to the President, No doubt as Trump treats him as an equal

How about it?  Is Galloway right?  Is voice the next transformative technology?  Did Apple blow it?  Is Amazon and Bezos the most important company/person in the world today?

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 09:56:34 PM by Tugg Speedman »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Passing of the Tech Batron
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
Don’t know if voice is the next transformative technology on the scale of the iPhone, but it’s gonna be pretty big. Because of that, Apple blew it by failing to capitalize on its lead.

And I’ve thought Amazon/Bezos passed Apple, Google and the like in terms of influence a while ago.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 08:58:12 PM »
Is a "Batron" like a kidney stone, Tuggie?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:02:57 PM »
Now this is a passing I can go for...

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Passing of the Tech Baton
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:33:44 AM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 05:43:16 AM »
The problem is that Apple only viewed "voice" as part of its traditional platform. (iPhone)  Amazon saw it as a stand alone.  That's what visionary companies do. 

But I don't know how dominant voice will become.  I don't have an echo or anything like it.  I don't even use Siri on my iPhone.  I find it pretty limiting.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 07:54:42 AM »
Trying to imagine a voice controlled version of scoop.     Failing.     All of the posts in different computer generated voices?    Oy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »
Trying to imagine a voice controlled version of scoop.     Failing.     All of the posts in different computer generated voices?    Oy.

I’d be here for 4Ever’s posts just to learn some of the pronunciations.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:36:34 AM »
We got an Amazon Show and Dot for the kids this xmas.  They certainly have fun with it, sort of.  Turning their lights on and off, asking occasional questions .. every night "Alexa, tell me a bed time story."

I dunno.  They are treating it mostly like a toy .. maybe once a day I might have a "question" for Alexa .. its answers are hit and miss. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 08:57:30 AM »
Google home here. I have it controlling our lights, tv, thermostat, home alarm. Pretty handy in that regard. We also use it for recipes, timers and other questions in the kitchen/cooking.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:40:41 PM »
I’d be here for 4Ever’s posts just to learn some of the pronunciations.

tru dat.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 08:46:28 PM »
Google home here. I have it controlling our lights, tv, thermostat, home alarm. Pretty handy in that regard. We also use it for recipes, timers and other questions in the kitchen/cooking.

Same here
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 08:50:29 PM »
Yeah butt, y is Alexa a broad? Dat's sexist chit, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"