[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good Effort Rowsey  (Read 7107 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Good Effort Rowsey
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2018, 11:04:34 AM »
What happens when 2/3 you are terrible?

You expand the range and realize that while you've been terrible 2/3 games....those are the only two times you've been terrible in the last 12 games (doubling Brad Stevens' 6 game analogy).

I had never heard that quote from Stevens but he's absolutely right. Every team has a floor and a ceiling. Some nights you play at the ceiling, some times you play at the floor, most times you are somewhere inbetween. Last night we played at our floor. I am confident that we will not play that poorly again this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2018, 12:07:11 PM »
Watching Rowsey this year reminds me of what Flounder said about women.  Can't live with him. Can't live without him.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
Real bad night from Rowsey tonight. His turnovers weren't just bad, they were throws to literally nobody. But this is the same kid who dropped 29 on Villanova just three games ago. One of his greatest strengths and greatest weaknesses is his short memory. Would not be surprised to see him have a dominant game against Providence.

I do agree about getting others involved more. I thought our offense looked the best when Sacar and Greg were driving the ball. Work those plays in early and force the defense to adjust to it. That will open up plays for the midgets and Sammy.

Disagree about "playing for next year." 5-3 and we can make the tournament and the back end of our schedule is really friendly. Still plenty of time to win this year.

And as much as we want to complain about the offense....it is still rated in the top 15 by KenPom. We are spoiled with good offense. Defense is the issue.
We will not make the dance with 5-3 finish. 9-9 with getting swept by Butler, Villanova, and Xavier, and middle of pack (at best at 9-9) does not warrant the dance, and you know it. Unless, of course, we run the table in the BEast tourney, but you know that ain't happening either. I'm really a badger fan
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2018, 06:38:37 PM »
We will not make the dance with 5-3 finish. 9-9 with getting swept by Butler, Villanova, and Xavier, and middle of pack (at best at 9-9) does not warrant the dance, and you know it. Unless, of course, we run the table in the BEast tourney, but you know that ain't happening either. I'm really a badger fan

Tell me which teams would get in above us then? Or just continue to ignorantly state your opinions as facts.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2018, 06:45:53 PM »
Tell me which teams would get in above us then? Or just continue to ignorantly state your opinions as facts.
Ok, I can play that game. So every body that has an opinion, including you, is ignorant, by your above logic. But just to answer your question, , considering there are 8 games left, and without looking at standings, I would say that Xavier, Butler, Villanova, Creighton and possibly Seton Hall would make it before us. But that is opinion, just like yours is, so I guess we are both ignorant, for having an opinion.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2018, 06:47:57 PM »
Agreed, awful night but he didn't just start heaving deep threes. Passes we're awful, Butler clearly has us scouted and frustrated.

Our fans should remember Butler's Brad Stevens who always reminded players in fans - one in 6 games you play out of your mind and you aren't that good - one in six games you are terrible and you aren't that bad - the other 4 in 6 games are the ones that determine your season.
I’ve heard several posters refer to LaVall as UWM’s coach. “We just got beat by UWMs coach.”
I got to know LaVall last year. He is a helluva coach. He is cool, calm and disciplined and his team exudes that.
His scouting at UWM last year was unbelievable. The film, the scout team, the mental attitude towards practice.
Before the game Wojo looked like he was going to puke. Now I know why.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:16 PM »
Ok, I can play that game. So every body that has an opinion, including you, is ignorant, by your above logic. But just to answer your question, , considering there are 8 games left, and without looking at standings, I would say that Xavier, Butler, Villanova, Creighton and possibly Seton Hall would make it before us. But that is opinion, just like yours is, so I guess we are both ignorant, for having an opinion.

That's not what I asked. I'm talking about what teams make the NCAA tournament above us. Bubble teams. Not teams in our conference. the 5 teams you listed are nowhere near the bubble.

You said we wouldn't get into the tournament with a 5-3 finish, at 9-9. That may be true. But it also may not. We'd have at least a 50% chance to be in the field at 9-9 entering the BE Tournament. My opinion comes from "looking at the standings", looking at other bubble teams and comparing our profile to the profile of those other teams, and playing with tools such as RPI forecast and T Rank.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2018, 07:04:45 PM »
Everyone can have an opinion.  Opinions can run the spectrum from highly informed, educated opinions, to blatantly ignorant opinions.  You seem proud to always have the latter.  "Without looking at the standings"??  Geez Mazos...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 07:14:56 PM »
We would be in at 9-9 barring having to play DePaul, Georgetown, and St. John's in the BET and losing to them.

The problem is nothing we have seen suggests we go 5-3 down the stretch.  It's just as likely that we lay an egg and get smoked by a winless St. John's team as it is we beat a Providence or Creighton at home.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 07:17:21 PM »
5th year senior puts up a doughnut in the biggest game of the year. Way to step up and lead your team.

Turn this team over to Sam. Run every offensive set through him. At least he’ll attempt to make the smart basketball decision. I’ve seen enough of our 5’9” guards put their head down and hunt their points. The ball needs to move and everyone needs to be involved.

Time to start playing for next season. And make sure we’re having a middle man get on some potential grad transfer point guards. Ones who look to get their teammates going and want to compete and at least pretend to want to defend.

Haha.  Come on, Our guards are 6' in shoes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 07:20:37 PM »

It's not an opinion.  It's math.

Find me a high major team that has been left out with 51 RPI and 25 SOS since the tournament expanded to 68 and I will believe you.

Cause I can find several with worse resumes who have made it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29:42 PM »
We would be in at 9-9 barring having to play DePaul, Georgetown, and St. John's in the BET and losing to them.

The problem is nothing we have seen suggests we go 5-3 down the stretch.  It's just as likely that we lay an egg and get smoked by a winless St. John's team as it is we beat a Providence or Creighton at home.

That is a different discussion, and a valid point of view. I tend to disagree. I think @ DePaul and home against SJU are near lock wins. I think @ Georgetown, @SJU, and Providence are probably wins. I'd put @SHU and @ CU as probably loses, and @ CU I'd lean to us but it's really a toss up.

PC on Saturday will tell us a lot.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 07:36:11 PM »
Know game is a given wynn, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 01:58:36 PM »
This offense is A LOT better when Rowsey is on the bench. His play for a fifth year senior is baffling.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 02:21:56 PM »
This offense is A LOT better when Rowsey is on the bench. His play for a fifth year senior is baffling.

He's been fine today. Hasn't scored but is moving the ball well and has only forced one shot

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2018, 02:31:11 PM »
He's been fine today. Hasn't scored but is moving the ball well and has only forced one shot

Completely disagree.  In what world is the guy who was 2nd in the Big East in scoring going 0-2 from the field for 0 points, 2 assists, 1 turnover (and definitely should've been a second but the refs felt so bad for him they gave him a ghost touch), and picking up a second foul while a guy is literally shooting a shot from behind the backboard "fine?"

Andrew Rowsey and I have scored the same amount of points for Marquette in the last 3 halves of basketball, all while we've been playing 2 teams we are competing with on the bubble.

Rowsey's job on this team is to 1) score and (enter HUGE gap between numbers 1 and 2) 2) distribute the ball.  He literally hasn't done number 1 in the last 60 minutes of basketball.

Seniors need to step up at this time of year.  Especially 5th year seniors who are the only seniors on the team.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:32:57 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »
Heyo! He’s in the building.

We found Sacar and lost Rowsey. Hopefully we just found him again!

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
Rowsey's job on this team is to 1) score and (enter HUGE gap between numbers 1 and 2) 2) distribute the ball.  He literally hasn't done number 1 in the last 60 minutes of basketball.

Then why did you start this thread complaining about him hunting points, not moving the ball, not getting teammates going, and not defending?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2018, 02:55:58 PM »
Then why did you start this thread complaining about him hunting points, not moving the ball, not getting teammates going, and not defending?

Because he scored 0 points in a home game against a team you’re fighting on the bubble with.

I was unaware that if you’re going to be a scorer the ball can’t move on your team? That would be a new thought I’ve never heard of.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 02:57:49 PM by wadesworld »

monkeyman34

• Starter
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »

Completely disagree with this.  Offense looks horrible with Howard on the floor and much much much better with Rowsey on the floor.  Howard's shot selection and decision making has taken a HUGE drop, it's pathetic now.  Rowsey's been moving the ball and creating for others.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2018, 03:23:22 PM »
Completely disagree with this.  Offense looks horrible with Howard on the floor and much much much better with Rowsey on the floor.  Howard's shot selection and decision making has taken a HUGE drop, it's pathetic now.  Rowsey's been moving the ball and creating for others.

Which is why you run the offense through Sam. Which we did in the first half with mostly good results. Then we went back to hero ball from our guards and we got the doors blown off.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2018, 04:00:28 PM »

I'm not sure what goalposts you're talking about.  Rowsey put up a doughnut against Butler.  Good effort.  Rowsey's job is to score.  Does that mean Rowsey should never pass the basketball?  Again, that's a new concept.  Scorers still need to play within an offense.  Which is exactly what the original post was about.  Run the offense through Sam, like we did in the first half today.  He's the only player who plays with his head up seeing the court.  You're making this a lot harder than you need to.

Anyways, MU wins that game if Rowsey simply graces us with a foul out earlier in the game.

Read the original post and/or learn the definition of goal post shifting.  Our offense needs to be run through Sam.  He's the only one smart enough to make the right plays even a portion of the time.  Being a scorer doesn't mean you don't move the basketball.  Except maybe in your own head.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:04:23 PM by wadesworld »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »

Bump.  After the second free throw as a result of Rowsey's 5th foul MU was down 7 with 6 and a half minutes to go.  End the game losing by 2.

feedback