Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's M2N Foul Dilemma  (Read 4428 times)

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
Wojo's M2N Foul Dilemma
« on: January 28, 2018, 11:55:21 PM »
Went to the game and listened to Wojo interview on the way home. He seemed to have an issue with fouls called on Markus versus fouls he draws when going to the basket and getting contacted. Said something along the lines of wanting to help put him in a better position to get those calls so he can get to the line more often.

Can anyone shed some light on fouls committed versus fouls drawn for Markus, compared to other notable guards/scorers? It does seem like he gets knocked down a lot when driving to the basket with no whistle. Brunson seems to have a knack for drawing contact and getting calls in a way that M2N doesn't, as seen today.

Just wondering what the consensus is on Wojo's theory and what adjustments could be made, if any.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Wojo's M2N Foul Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 06:20:22 AM »
Went to the game and listened to Wojo interview on the way home. He seemed to have an issue with fouls called on Markus versus fouls he draws when going to the basket and getting contacted. Said something along the lines of wanting to help put him in a better position to get those calls so he can get to the line more often.

Can anyone shed some light on fouls committed versus fouls drawn for Markus, compared to other notable guards/scorers? It does seem like he gets knocked down a lot when driving to the basket with no whistle. Brunson seems to have a knack for drawing contact and getting calls in a way that M2N doesn't, as seen today.

Just wondering what the consensus is on Wojo's theory and what adjustments could be made, if any.
Brunson does a great job of creating contact with a defender on his way to the basket and is strong/in control enough to finish the shot.  Markus tries to avoid contact and usually falls down not because he is fouled, but because he contorted his body so much to avoid getting hit or is just off balance. 

Markus needs to figure out how to create contact and finish through it.  If he does so he might start getting some calls, but refs aren't going to call anything when he's so obviously trying not to get hit. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 06:24:01 AM »
Brunson is 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier.    And older.   Did anyone mention that Markus is only 18?   But yes, Markus tries to avoid contact on offense.   And seemingly can't get out of the way on defense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 09:14:25 AM »
Markus isn't the only one. I swear we never get fouls on 1:1 fast break layups. They usually aren't missed calls,  our guys are bad at creating contact.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
Markus and Rowsey definitely get fouled more than gets called when they drive the hoop, but as others have said, its not their strong suit. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 09:17:44 AM »
Markus isn't the only one. I swear we never get fouls on 1:1 fast break layups. They usually aren't missed calls,  our guys are bad at creating contact.

Have to be able to take contact if you're gonna create it. Not many of our guys can finish through it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 09:20:58 AM »
Good comments on drawing contact.

Brunson has become very good at this. His back-down game reminds me a bit of Mark Jackson.

Expanding this topic a little to PG play in general ...

When AR goes to the hoop, he is thinking "me score" about 75-80% and "maybe pass it out" 20-25%.

When Markus goes to the hoop, he is thinking "me score" about 99.9%.

With Rowsey, you have a chance for a kick-out. With Howard, either he scores or he misses.

I LOVE score-first PGs (and so does the NBA), but even a score-first PG has to be willing to drive and kick (especially in the NBA). One of my concerns for next year is that Markus either isn't wired that way or simply doesn't want to think that way (or both). I also believe that could hurt his chances to get a serious NBA look - though that is a distant secondary concern of most MU fans.

Maybe Elliott has more of a drive-and-kick mentality, and when both hands are fully healed next season we'll see it. Or maybe Wojo will bring in a grad transfer PG who can set others up.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:22:13 AM »
Is it possible the contact we get on drives is embellished too much to get a call? Some guys have made falling down a part of their three point stroke to try and get calls. I wonder if Rowsey and Howard are overselling contact and not getting calls.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 09:26:56 AM »
FG% at the rim:

Theo:  64.4%
Harry:  76.5%
Sam:  76.5%
Matt:  69.7%
Sacar:  67.7%
Greg:  57.1%
Markus:  56.5%
Jamal: 53.8%
Andrew:  41.9%

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 10:25:21 AM by Dr. Blackheart »

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »
FG% at the rim:

Theo:  80.0%

Theo is that high? WOW thought hed be lower with his lack of finishing moves

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »
FG% at the rim:

Theo:  80.0%

Surprised Sacar is that high. Yesterday helped.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 09:33:05 AM »
Another thing re: Markus. That floater is such a deadly weapon but it is predicated on avoiding contacting. Knowing that's his go to, I think he could actually be really good at drawing contact if he can develop a good head fake when driving. Basically #thething but with floaters instead of threes. Fake like you are going to shoot a floater and then hit the defender when they are up in the air. And as other's have said, work on that drive and kick game. The more he can keep opponents guessing what he's going to do in the lane, the more effective he will be.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 09:40:05 AM »
Anyone able to dig up some stats on fouls drawn while driving to the basket compared to personal fouls committed for PGs in conference? In country? Kinda interested how that shakes down.

On a separate note involving generated contact, would be interested in how many moving screen calls we have racked up compared to others.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 09:58:16 AM »
Anyone able to dig up some stats on fouls drawn while driving to the basket compared to personal fouls committed for PGs in conference? In country? Kinda interested how that shakes down.

On a separate note involving generated contact, would be interested in how many moving screen calls we have racked up compared to others.

I'd be curious to see moving screen numbers as season has progressed. My eye test tells me it has been much less of a problem for us in recent weeks. The Froling call yesterday was quite bad, though.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 10:22:54 AM »
Surprised Sacar is that high. Yesterday helped.

If folks get jazzed by stats...see HoopMath...there is a paywall beyond the free content, but may not be worth it to most as they give a lot of stats off the play by play data.  They differentiate "at the rim" versus other 2Pt Fg%.  I think the difference on Sacar, Theo et al that people remember is explained in the stats as they are moved away from the rim.  Markus, on the other hand, hits a higher percent with his floaters than at the rim...which may drive Wojo's angst on the lack of fouls called on his guards.

https://hoop-math.com/Marquette2018.php

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 10:26:34 AM »
Theo is that high? WOW thought hed be lower with his lack of finishing moves

Sorry...64.4% fg%, with 80% of his shots at the rim.  <need reading glasses>

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 10:55:54 AM »
Marcus needs to learn how to get fouled.  He nearly always ends up on his a$$ when he drives, but rarely is there enough contact to call a foul.  He needs a head fake, change of speed, up fake, or something to create the foul, and then finish after the foul.  Easier said than done, of course, but it's an important skill.  Brunson is a good example. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 11:10:02 AM »
Jordan is very good at not fouling and at getting fouled. Always has been though. Still, I think we’ll see marked improvement before M2N is M2N
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
Markus made a couple nice passes yesterday. He found Harry on the pick and roll for a lay up and passed to Cain in transition that lead to an and 1.

Markus also started out shooting well. I reviewed the play by play and had Markus at 5-10 FG, 3-5 on 3FG in the first 13 minutes.  It was all down hill from there.  I thought Markus stopped trusting his instincts and started forcing it in the 2nd half. Hope he bounces back Wednesday.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 12:02:25 PM »
Is there really an argument trying to be made that if a guy gets hit/fouled, it should only be called if the driver initiates the contact or finishes through the contact? And if a guy driving is trying to avoid contact, but gets fouled anyway, it shouldn't be called?

A foul is a foul is a foul.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 12:12:13 PM »
I think it was about the 6-7 game of the year before I realized Sacar and Greg could attempt layups without ending up on their behind, sliding into the middle of the cheerleaders halfway to the sideline.  Well, maybe that is part of a different plan...

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 12:19:02 PM »
Is there really an argument trying to be made that if a guy gets hit/fouled, it should only be called if the driver initiates the contact or finishes through the contact? And if a guy driving is trying to avoid contact, but gets fouled anyway, it shouldn't be called?

A foul is a foul is a foul.
No.  The argument is that the vast majority of the time that Markus lands on his butt he is not fouled.  Also, refs are not going to give him the benefit of the doubt when he's obviously trying to avoid contact.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 12:23:17 PM by ATL MU Warrior »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »
As Jimmy Butler. He was and still is good at drawing fouls.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
Is this an example for the posters that think "he tries to avoid contact, so when contact happens, the refs shouldn't call a foul"?

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/958063322305368064

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
Is this an example for the posters that think "he tries to avoid contact, so when contact happens, the refs shouldn't call a foul"?

https://twitter.com/PaintTouches/status/958063322305368064
Pretty much. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback