Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Success starts at home  (Read 4831 times)

muguru

• All American
Success starts at home
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:05:06 PM »
I have railed on this before, but it needs to be pointed out again..MU is just not good defending their home floor. Yes, they have played tough opponents at home, but so have a lot of other teams in the country..yet of the top 80 RPI teams in the country from power conferences, ONLY Notre Dame has lost(and they have injury issues) the same amount of games at home. With the emphasis the RPI puts on home wins, it is PARAMOUNT that you defend your home floor..I get that three of their four home losses have been to teams ranked in the top 10(and yes that plays a role), but my goodness they just haven't been particularly good at home the last number of years.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Success starts at home
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 08:08:21 PM »
Lol calm down
Goal is National Championship

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 09:44:12 PM »
Simmer guy. No we aren’t the same as we were when we had the streak for most wins at home in a row but still. Lots of great teams we play

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »
I haven't looked at our previous years' home records, but this year we've had 2 home losses since Big East play started: both to elite teams (Xavier and Nova). We even stole one against a very good team (Seton Hall) and beat Georgetown and DePaul. So, I would say we've done a good job protecting the home floor this year. That said, we have 2 home games coming up against Butler and Providence (two very good teams), which will give us good opportunities to protect our house.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 06:26:00 AM »
Oh, you're talking about the basketball team. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
I have railed on this before, but it needs to be pointed out again.. MU is just not good at defending their home floor. Yes, they have played tough opponents at home, but so have a lot of other teams in the country..yet of the top 80 RPI teams in the country from power conferences, ONLY Notre Dame has lost(and they have injury issues) the same amount of games at home. With the emphasis the RPI puts on home wins, it is PARAMOUNT that you defend your home floor..I get that three of their four home losses have been to teams ranked in the top 10(and yes that plays a role), but my goodness they just haven't been particularly good at home the last number of years.

FIFY

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 09:27:35 AM »
According to KenPom.com, our home losses are to teams ranked #3 (Purdue), #69 (Georgia), #12 (Xavier) and #1 (Villanova).

Purdue has lost a grand total of 2 games this season and is 10-0 in the Big Ten. If we played Georgia today, I think we beat them easily; we didn't have Harry Froling and our 3 freshmen had exactly 7 games of experience. Xavier's lost just 3 games and is 7-2 in the Big East. And Nova is 20-1, which means 19 other previous opponents (including Tennessee, Gonzaga and Xavier) are in the same boat as us.

Looking at the rest of the schedule, we're favored in the rest of our home games. Win 3 out of 4 and we're probably in the NCAA tournament again. I'm happy with that, and see better days ahead for the program.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 09:32:51 AM »
If we lose the next two, then I think this thread would be relevant. Unless that happens (which I doubt it does), I'm not sweating too much for reasons already stated.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 09:35:46 AM »
Yeah, I'm not worried about losing to Villanova, Purdue, or X at home. Georgia was a blah game and definitely should have been a win, but those other three are "good" losses. I don't think it has anything to do with being bad at defending home court. I think we had one bad game and then played three of the best teams in basketball this season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 09:49:11 AM »
Don't post that.   Potty mouth.    ::)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 10:14:44 AM »
Don't post that.   Potty mouth.    ::)
Should go hangout in the student section, hey?
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 10:52:55 AM »
Didn't see muguru here after we thrashed Seton Hall.

Must have missed it, because surely he wouldn't just get his jollies posting after a loss.

And sorry for calling anybody "Shirley."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:37 AM »
Didn't see muguru here after we thrashed Seton Hall.

Must have missed it, because surely he wouldn't just get his jollies posting after a loss.

And sorry for calling anybody "Shirley."

Don't worry, he'll think of some reason to argue that Seton Hall is "overrated" and that it wasn't a good win

muguru

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »
Don't worry, he'll think of some reason to argue that Seton Hall is "overrated" and that it wasn't a good win

Seton Hall was a VERY good win...No disputing that, but..Georgia should have been a win, and Xavier and Nova very well could have been..(possibly should have been the way the games played out).
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 11:46:55 AM »
Seriously, guru. Curious on why you mostly beyotch but only rarely have good things to say.

You obviously know and appreciate good basketball. So easy to jump on the pile after a loss and be negative.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »
We were never winning either the Nova or Xavier game late.......how anyone could say they should have been wins is beyond ridiculous.

By this logic the Providence game should have been a loss.

We didn't blow either game....we got beat by better teams......deal with it.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 11:52:38 AM »
guru is a big time MU fan.  He's just a negative guy. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 11:54:19 AM »
I feel very confident that if things continue to develop the way they have, that MU will be able to close out against the likes of Nova and X. Getting more experience with this group is going to be fun to watch.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 11:56:17 AM »
Guru loves MU basketball.    Maybe too much.     Takes every loss as a personal affront.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »
Guru isn't as much negative as he is impatient. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 11:58:07 AM »
We were never winning either the Nova or Xavier game late.......how anyone could say they should have been wins is beyond ridiculous.

By this logic the Providence game should have been a loss.

We didn't blow either game....we got beat by better teams......deal with it.

Two things in common:  M2N and Pat Driscoll had bad games in both.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
The Georgia loss hurts, but if I were offered 1-2 at home against Nova, X, and SHU at the beginning of the season, I would take it, especially considering the only blow out was the win over SHU.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 12:30:11 PM »
Xavier and Nova very well could have been..(possibly should have been the way the games played out).

You definitely have a stronger argument about the X game.

XU led for 24:13. MU led for 09:26. Game  was tied for 06:21.
VU led for 37:48. MU led for 01:09. Game  was tied for 01:03.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 12:47:05 PM »
Guru

You are correct. You have to win at home to be a successful program. Not going to bash Wojo for this year's home record, but definitely need to improve on that starting next season. Home cooking makes the road a lot easier.

feedback