Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2019 recruiting  (Read 8971 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: 2019 recruiting
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2018, 10:12:25 AM »
Not merely short, Markus and Andrew are nearly incapable of staying in front of their man.   And getting crushed by attacking guards causes the rotations that lead to defensive breakdowns.   Or switching, leading to Elliot guarding Martin of Butler or Harry guarding Brunson.    All to protect A and M.    In this year's team, I see everybody else attempting to be in the right position.   Sure, they get beat sometimes, but the technique and effort are there and decent.    Sam has very good technique, but only average lateral quickness.   Froling's technique is decent, but, like Luke before him, guarding a PG in space is always going to be a bad match up.   MU's post defense is actually pretty good, when it is off of a basic entry pass, not in recovery mode after a PG gets into the lane.    Matt, Theo, and Harry all have solid footwork playing post defense.    Matt isn't as strong as the other two, and they both have to keep learning how to use their mass without fouling.     Yesterday, the play everyone is talking about at the end, Cain failed to find his man, instead drifting rapidly to the backboard and actually almost overrunning the rebound.    A correctable error from the Frosh. 
    In short, I actually see things I like about this year's defense.    IMO, the problems start with M and A being unable to defend, either due to size or philosophy.      And dovetailing back to the OP, a grad transfer PG with size or 2018 PG with size (or both) will go a long way toward a successful 18-19 season.

So recruiting problem...i also hope we fix that if indeed it is the root of the issues.

nyg

• All American
Re: 2019 recruiting
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2018, 10:22:04 AM »
How’s that 2019 recruiting coming along?