Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Momma said there'd be days like this  (Read 18915 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Momma said there'd be days like this
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2018, 03:55:33 PM »
Regardless of height (how about that?) you can't have 40% of the team on the floor be terrible defenders

Bingo.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2018, 04:03:13 PM »
Do you remember Jake and Derrick?    They could play defense just fine.    Everybody complained about them.   

I did this on the other board and got no response, so I will try it here. 
Take 'Marquette' off the jersey.    Pretend it says 'Baylor', or 'Boston College', or 'Northwestern'.    Now, all you know about the team this year at one of those three schools is...
-they have 9 scholarship players
-their two starting guards and highest scorers are <6'.
- their roster is made up of 1 senior, 1 junior, 4 sophomores, 3 (outside the top 100) freshmen.

No background.   Not who transferred in or out.     What the coach's reputation is.   
What would you expect that team's record to be in the Big 12/ACC/Big 10?
Please apply the same objective expectations to this team.   

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »

Now, who is responsible for recruiting and developing defensive talent? Wojo. He's failing in that regard but has been making up for it by being one of the best offensive coaches (if not the best) that we have ever had. The result appears to be a bubble team. We can gnash our teeth as much we want but there is no magic fix that is going to improve our defense without harming our offense midseason. Just be thankful we don't have the opposite problem. At least we are exciting to watch.

In fairness to Wojo, our perimeter defense would likely be better if not for Haanif’s family issue. We certainly wouldn’t be great or even really good at team defense, but he would have helped a lot.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »
Do you remember Jake and Derrick?    They could play defense just fine.    Everybody complained about them.   

Take 'Marquette' off the jersey.    Pretend it says 'Baylor', or 'Boston College', or 'Northwestern'.    Now, all you know about the team this year at one of those three schools is...
- their roster is made up of 1 senior, 1 junior, 4 sophomores, 3 (outside the top 100) freshmen.

No background.   Not who transferred in or out.     What the coach's reputation is.   

Trying to reason with the trolls, now. Not sure how successful it will be.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »
Just saying... MU's 3 road losses are to teams that are 31-1 at home so far this season.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 25, 2018, 04:33:47 PM »
This is correct. He doesn't get to where he wants to be. When he has his back to the basket, generally speaking he has already decided on putting up a shot regardless of where he gets to and regardless of whether it is a schoolyard brick. We've seen him get manhandled while trying to back his man down and unable to recognize the sub-5% chance of making the shot.

I think it would be a huge weapon if he had the ability to back his man down, recognize it ain't happening, and hit a driver on the run or kick out on the double team. This would be a big development for him and potentially fill a void in the offense currently occupied by Heldt. Heldt has strong decision-making skills and displays the ability to execute these sequences... The only issue is that since he can't even threaten offensive ability, teams don't work too hard to collapse on him or concern themselves. All that said, as of today Heldt is still a far better fit in the overall gameplan than Harry because the team needs strong decision-making offensively, in order to primarily focus on finding a good shot for one of Howard/Rowsey/Hauser.

Harry has a relatively smooth looking offensive game on TV but it doesn't functionally add up to much today.
I can distinctly remember two plays where Froling starts outside the paint and backs his way into the paint against a defender bigger or equal in size with rather decent control and puts up a high-percentage shot. Other times, it does not work out as well. Point being, he's capable. He needs to keep working on it in games. Heldt is a complete liability out there - yes, I'm sure he's smart, but so is Einstein and he would not have been a capable 5 on a D1 program (at least, I don't think). As we have always said, Heldt is a serviceable back-up to spell the starter/second string for 5-10 minutes per game. To say that Heldt is better out there because of his "strong decision making skills" is just wrong unless those skills have a substantive impact on the game. We have seen time and again that they do not. You MUST roll with Froling to relieve pressure off the big 3 and hope that he continues to develop.

And obviously nothing personal with Matt - strictly basketball related.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 25, 2018, 04:54:51 PM »
I can distinctly remember two plays where Froling starts outside the paint and backs his way into the paint against a defender bigger or equal in size with rather decent control and puts up a high-percentage shot. Other times, it does not work out as well. Point being, he's capable. He needs to keep working on it in games. Heldt is a complete liability out there - yes, I'm sure he's smart, but so is Einstein and he would not have been a capable 5 on a D1 program (at least, I don't think). As we have always said, Heldt is a serviceable back-up to spell the starter/second string for 5-10 minutes per game. To say that Heldt is better out there because of his "strong decision making skills" is just wrong unless those skills have a substantive impact on the game. We have seen time and again that they do not. You MUST roll with Froling to relieve pressure off the big 3 and hope that he continues to develop.

And obviously nothing personal with Matt - strictly basketball related.

Not quite sure how they must roll with Froling, seems a little drastic. IDK about it being personal.

The obvious point I was trying to make was that the big 3 are, on balance, incredibly talented offensively, heads and shoulders above all other players on the team,  and that they account for the vast majority of our points. Like it or not, when they are all on the floor, you don't really want bad shots by bad offensive players taking valuable opportunities away from those 3. Note: Harry is shooting 37% from the floor and 13% from 3. Many of those 3s were wide open looks.

If Froling could focus on only taking higher percentage shots and facilitating instead of forcing a shot on extreme low percentage shots, he'd be an upgrade over Heldt. We all agree on that I think. That's why I say that decision-making is the difference between the two, offensively.

Look at it this way: Matt Heldt could probably shoot 13% from 3. But he knows better and he focuses on things besides scoring.

I'm also not addressing Froling's current deficiencies defensively, but that is a wholly different discussion.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 04:57:28 PM by yetipro »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 25, 2018, 05:03:30 PM »
Not quite sure how they must roll with Froling, seems a little drastic. IDK about it being personal.

The obvious point I was trying to make was that the big 3 are, on balance, incredibly talented offensively, heads and shoulders above all other players on the team,  and that they account for the vast majority of our points. Like it or not, when they are all on the floor, you don't really want bad shots by bad offensive players taking valuable opportunities away from those 3. Note: Harry is shooting 37% from the floor and 13% from 3. Many of those 3s were wide open looks.

If Froling could focus on only taking higher percentage shots and facilitating instead of forcing a shot on extreme low percentage shots, he'd be an upgrade over Heldt. We all agree on that I think. That's why I say that decision-making is the difference between the two, offensively.

Look at it this way: Matt Heldt could probably shoot 13% from 3. But he knows better and he focuses on things besides scoring.

I'm also not addressing Froling's current deficiencies defensively, but that is a wholly different discussion.
IDK about your IDK.

I don't think the rare instances of Froling taking a shot at this point in his career outweigh the pressure, I believe, he takes off the big three by being on the court, and that is only going to improve as he gets more run (again, I believe). Heldt is at his ceiling. Let's just see where Froling's is. 

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 25, 2018, 05:09:54 PM »
Yes, yes it is. Woof.

1SE

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2018, 05:16:28 PM »
I'm not hung up or gave it a thought. That said, you would think with 9 days of preparation they would put up a fight.

Yeah, not necessarily hung up. But you would  just hope that 9 days would have been ample time to come up with a game plan that could be executed in their sleep that doesn't lead to 51 first half points. I mean WTF were they doing in practice for the past nine days?
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

tower912

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2018, 05:16:59 PM »

Trying to reason with the trolls, now. Not sure how successful it will be.
Very few are trolls.    Many, if not most, are passionate MU fans who want so badly for MU to be great that they sometimes struggle with objectivity and perspective.   Which is the nature of fandom.    All I am asking is to look at the make up of the roster without bias.   To remember a few years ago when we had a backcourt that was solid defensively but somehow still angered many.    Don't lose your mind when this team gets rolled by a top 10 team in their building.    This is not a final 4 team, barring an insane run.    Make the dance this year.    Build on it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »

I didn’t realize a player that can play both defense and offense is mutually exclusive. 

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »

With respect to Froling, You have outlined it well. This is the Big East and every possession is a battle. We need as much effectiveness from each position as possible to continue to compete well.

that said, I believe Froling adds value to the team in that he has a real nose for rebounds. That rebounding prowess is a skill that can't be taught. In addition Harry has some skills passing. With respect to this year ,and Mr. Froling, we have to build off of those skills. Matt and Theo have different skills and we build of off those skills as well. This year ,between the 3 young men, we can deliver competent play at the Center position.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2018, 06:08:41 PM »
With respect to Froling, You have outlined it well. This is the Big East and every possession is a battle. We need as much effectiveness from each position as possible to continue to compete well.

that said, I believe Froling adds value to the team in that he has a real nose for rebounds. That rebounding prowess is a skill that can't be taught. In addition Harry has some skills passing. With respect to this year ,and Mr. Froling, we have to build off of those skills. Matt and Theo have different skills and we build of off those skills as well. This year ,between the 3 young men, we can deliver competent play at the Center position.

Agree, one of the best rebounders we've had recently and I think there's reason to be hopeful for his future. A lot of big guys can't do what he's capable of, he could be a real curveball.

IDK about your IDK.

I don't think the rare instances of Froling taking a shot at this point in his career outweigh the pressure, I believe, he takes off the big three by being on the court, and that is only going to improve as he gets more run (again, I believe). Heldt is at his ceiling. Let's just see where Froling's is. 

Rare instance? Froling's usage % is higher than Sam Hauser's.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:26:30 PM by yetipro »

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2018, 10:56:26 PM »
i know that harry went 1-3 from 3 but instead of him shooting the ball outside the 3 point line i rather have him swing it or look to drive, hes 2-15 on the season from 3 and he does have a nice ball fake. im just saying i rather see him look to drive, pass , and if those aren't open look for the 3 ball

MU82

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2018, 12:00:00 AM »
Don't lose your mind when this team gets rolled by a top 10 team in their building. THIS This is not a final 4 team, barring an insane run. THIS Make the dance this year. THIS Build on it. AND THIS
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:09 AM »
I didn’t realize a player that can play both defense and offense is mutually exclusive.
It's not always.  It seems to be in this particular case.  Which back court would you rather have?     Derrick and Jake or Andrew and Markus.     

Do you remember that there was a contingent that was irate that Buzz didn't give more time to JjJ and Deonte even though neither could play defense as a freshman?     Do you remember that some wanted Dawson to get more minutes?     Do you remember when some were furious about Blue getting as many minutes as he did when he couldn't shoot as a freshman, when Buzz rewarded defense?

The common theme?    The coach is dumb for playing the people he is for the reasons he does.     Rowsey and Howard are not good one on one defenders.    However, to bench them means to force feed minutes to freshmen and to take one of the top scorers in the big east off the floor.     
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:04:26 AM by tower912 »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2018, 09:51:28 AM »

Every fanbase is going to expect more of their own.  That being said, I occasionally look at the ACC standings to see how Danny Manning is doing.  Back in the day, I would keep tabs on Mizzou / Quinn Snyder vs. TC. 

But more than anything else, it's Year 4.  I'm actually quite shocked at the lack of substantive progress.  I get the horses are coming but Tom Crean took a Mike Deane program to the Final Four in year 4.  I mean if Tom Crean can do that...
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2018, 10:02:02 AM »
Every fanbase is going to expect more of their own.  That being said, I occasionally look at the ACC standings to see how Danny Manning is doing.  Back in the day, I would keep tabs on Mizzou / Quinn Snyder vs. TC. 

But more than anything else, it's Year 4.  I'm actually quite shocked at the lack of substantive progress.  I get the horses are coming but Tom Crean took a Mike Deane program to the Final Four in year 4.  I mean if Tom Crean can do that...

And then missed the tournament the two following years. We've improved every year under Wojo. We're probably better this year than last year despite graduating KR, LF, JJ, and losing HC and DW. We lost 5 contributors to last year's team and have 9 scholarship players, and we're as good as last year. Maybe the improvement isn't happening as quick as everyone would like, but it's there and still trending upwards.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2018, 10:05:50 AM »

Why do people think that Crean is a bad coach?  Regardless, the big reason he got to the Final Four is because he landed the best damn player in program history.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2018, 10:06:59 AM »
And then missed the tournament the two following years. We've improved every year under Wojo. We're probably better this year than last year despite graduating KR, LF, JJ, and losing HC and DW. We lost 5 contributors to last year's team and have 9 scholarship players, and we're as good as last year. Maybe the improvement isn't happening as quick as everyone would like, but it's there and still trending upwards.

The fact that I'm citing TC as a measurement of progress should tell you exactly where we are.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2018, 10:11:53 AM »
The fact that I'm citing TC as a measurement of progress should tell you exactly where we are.

I don't get this, what standard of measurement are applying to Wojo that sets him behind TC or Buzz when you adjust based on the cupboard for each coach and the landscape(conference, basketball environment, etc)?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2018, 10:18:46 AM »
I don't get this, what standard of measurement are applying to Wojo that sets him behind TC or Buzz when you adjust based on the cupboard for each coach and the landscape(conference, basketball environment, etc)?

I'll never understand the cupboard storyline. 

Last year Marquette had 9 top-100 RSCI recruits.  That's more than Butler, Creighton, Seton Hall, Xavier & Providence combined.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:21:08 AM by The Lens »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »

Last year Marquette had 9 top-100 RSCI recruits.  That's more than Butler, Creighton, Seton Hall, Xavier & Providence combined.

And how many of those were actually good enough to actually be one of the top 100 players in their class? And which coach brought in the ones that were? I got 3 for Wojo (Sam, M2N, Katin), and 1 for Buzz (Luke). I got four who weren't (JJJ, Duane, Haanif, Sandy). Who was the 9th?

But the argument really stems from the reality that Wojo took over a team that went 17-15, missed not only the tournament but also the NIT, lost 5 out of 6 of the players who led the team in minutes (and the one they kept was Derrick Wilson), had the former coach poach half the incoming recruiting class, and had 1/2 of the other players decommit (and it was the good one of the two).

Knowing all that, how could you say the cupboard wasn't bare?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:14:45 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »

First, recruiting services are notoriously off.

Second, pure talent is necessarily the differentiator....experience matters. See the chart below of KenPom experience rankings for years 2013-2018 for the teams you highlighted. Marquette is the bright red line that in the last 3 years has been universally the least experienced team in the league. The last time they were experienced? Wojo's first year when we had what was left of the Buzz team where I think there is no question that 2014 and 2015 lacked talent. Definition of cupboard bare. Wojo has been trying to fill those holes since.

Next year this chart looks considerably better as we'll have a ton of talent returning AND talent coming in.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."