[Today at 06:14:18 PM]

President Lovell Passes Away by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:14:49 AM]

Media Rights Update by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 07:12:21 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by mileskishnish72
[Today at 04:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Brewers Sign Cameron  (Read 5854 times)

tomcrean4pres

• Starter
Brewers Sign Cameron
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:33:03 PM »
The Brewers signed Mike Cameron today...

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080111&content_id=2344199&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Not so sure I like this for many reasons
***Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid. ***

chapman

• All American
Re: Brewers Sign Cameron
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 01:53:45 AM »
I love the singing.  There really is nobody else left in free agency to help us, and Matt LaPorta is at least a year and a half away from being called up. 

Without Cameron, we have Bill Hall at center field; average offensively and slightly below average defensively at that position.  Braun would have been set to remain at third; probably the best offensive third baseman in the NL, but probably commiting around 35 errors.  Left field would be a platoon between Gross and Gabe Kapler (maybe...), which would have provided decent defense but probably the worst offensive output from any left field position in the majors. 

Now we will have Cameron in center, who will put up numbers similar to Hall.  Less hitting for average, but still the same number of homers and RBI to be expected along with more steals than Hall.  3 gold gloves also argue that Cameron is a defensive upgrade.  Hall is to move to third, which judging by previous years will provide very good defense and a huge upgrade over Braun.  It's possible having Hall at third saves 20 errors over the course of the season, which is huge for a team that was not good at all defensively last year.  His offensive numbers, even in a down year like last year are still good for a third baseman.  Braun moves to left, where he is likely to commit less errors.  He might not play as good defensively as Gross/Kapler, but you go from having no offensive output at the position to what should be one of the best offensive left fielders in the NL.  Overall, with Braun and Hall staying in the lineup but playin positions to where they're stronger defensively, and taking the Gross/Kapler platoon to the bench in favor of Cameron as an every day player you gain a huge upgrade defensively and a significant upgrade offensively.  Considering Cameron's contract is in the ballpark of $6 million and Geoff Jenkins was paid over $8 million last season, this is a great deal for the Brewers.

farmdaddy

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 12:25:47 PM »
I also think it was a good signing.  The market for center fielders was thin like the overall free agency market this year.  Hall goes back to the infield where I think he will do better and reach the numbers he did a few years ago.  Braun goes to the outfield where he hopefully is not making as many errors.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 10:52:38 PM »
I would also like to point out he will be out for the first 25 games...what will the brewers do for the OF to start the season?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 12:42:37 AM »
I would also like to point out he will be out for the first 25 games...what will the brewers do for the OF to start the season?

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080114&content_id=2345176&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

"While Cameron serves his suspension, Yost said the Brewers likely will use their backups in center field. Tony Gwynn, Jr. and Gabe Gross are leading candidates because they would provide much-needed left-handed bats, but righty Gabe Kapler also could see action there. "

Looks like they'll be as committed to keeping Hall in the infield as they were in keeping him in the outfield last year.  I am kind of surprised to see Hart didn't come up as a possibility to fill in.  He played well in center last year; I would think if Gwynn wasn't starting Hart would play center and Gross or (heaven forbid) Kalper would play right.  The decision to move top prospect Matt LaPorta from left to right spells trouble for Hart's long-term future with the team if they're unwilling to play him in center.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 01:10:47 PM »
The decision to move top prospect Matt LaPorta from left to right spells trouble for Hart's long-term future with the team if they're unwilling to play him in center.

Not so sure about this one. Cameron is a stop-gap measure, for two years at the most. It's not inconcievable to have Hart move to center when they don't want to resign a 37 year old CF who strikes out a ton. By that time LaPorta will be ready.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
It's a one year deal with a club option for a second year. It's pretty low risk if you ask me. It's not like they just signed Jeffrey Hammonds again for a 3 year deal.  I like this Cameron deal. If it pans out, here we come playoffs!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »
If nothing else Cameron will add some speed to the lineup.  ;D

schubert33

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 03:22:22 PM »
Are the Brewers trying to sign everyone from the Mitchell report?

feedback