collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Buzz about to get a signature win  (Read 7748 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Buzz about to get a signature win
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 08:37:15 AM »
Topper, I've never loved you more than I do in this moment

Just ring the bell.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 08:55:20 AM »
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
Can? Yes. Will? Remains to be seen. Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked by a Sweet Sixteen run this year. I don't think people appreciate yet that this team is good this year and will be really good next year

True,  and I think people forget how much of an upset that first sweet 16 was. We were an 11 seed!  Worse than our seed last season and likely worse than what we get this season. Any year you make the tourney all it takes is two great games to make the Sweet 16. Buzz did it and hopefully Wojo will in the near future.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 09:07:36 AM »

I think Wojo has a better chance of doing that here than Buzz does at VT.  I think Buzz is a better coach at this point, but I think VT is not a very good situation.  I would be surprised if Buzz is still there in March 2020.

My admiration for Buzz is no secret. I think he's a good guy and a top 20 coach, our best since Al. Loved the passion his teams played with and I root for his future success. IMO he'll do as well as just about anyone could at VT, but you're right - the ceiling there is low.

I also admire Wojo - solid guy, improving coach. He has momentum and the future is brightening. I don't know what our ceiling is but let's enjoy being relevant and on the upswing. Right now that's enough for me.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »
Lenny

I agree complete on your take on both Buzz and Wojo. I was a big fan of Buzz's style of play, type of player he recruited and on court success. As for Wojo, while a work in progress, they might be further along than I thought six months ago. Next year (common phrase on here) is going to deal a great deal on far along the actual progress really is. I have my fingers crossed.

Lastly, I am always happy to see Buzz on TV and have success, along as it is not against MU. I fond memories of his time here and believe he was the best coach since Al.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
This may say as much or more about their circumstances than their abilities, but I like Wojo's prospects for significant success the next 3-5 years more than Buzz's.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:52 AM »
Not necessarily a knock on Buzz, but he's not really adaptable and I don't think he is going to adapt well to the new era of of basketball we find ourselves. His teams are historically bad at shooting, and that is precisely the opposite of where basketball is going.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 10:46:36 AM »
My admiration for Buzz is no secret. I think he's a good guy and a top 20 coach, our best since Al. Loved the passion his teams played with and I root for his future success. IMO he'll do as well as just about anyone could at VT, but you're right - the ceiling there is low.

I also admire Wojo - solid guy, improving coach. He has momentum and the future is brightening. I don't know what our ceiling is but let's enjoy being relevant and on the upswing. Right now that's enough for me.

Excellent take, Lenny. Agree with every word.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 11:02:56 AM »
Not necessarily a knock on Buzz, but he's not really adaptable and I don't think he is going to adapt well to the new era of of basketball we find ourselves. His teams are historically bad at shooting, and that is precisely the opposite of where basketball is going.

Isn't VPI shooting about 40% on 3's?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 11:20:54 AM »
Do you really think Wojo can lead MU to a two Sweet Sixteen's followed by an Elite Eight?
We all know the tournament is a crapshoot

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 11:21:39 AM »

Yes, they are. His VPI team looks nothing like his old MU teams. Actually, it's a very close copy to Wojo's current team. Good to very good on offense, poor defensively.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 12:11:07 PM »
Yes, they are. His VPI team looks nothing like his old MU teams. Actually, it's a very close copy to Wojo's current team. Good to very good on offense, poor defensively.

Buzz's team is getting more traditionally ACC-ish, while Wojo's team is getting more BEast-ish (adding guys like Morrow, Theo, Cain, Elliott, etc.)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
This may say as much or more about their circumstances than their abilities, but I like Wojo's prospects for significant success the next 3-5 years more than Buzz's.

Hard agree. And I loved Buzz's tenure here.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 12:26:26 PM »
Buzz's team is getting more traditionally ACC-ish, while Wojo's team is getting more BEast-ish (adding guys like Morrow, Theo, Cain, Elliott, etc.)

Agreed. That's a good way of putting it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »

Buzz doesn't like traditionals.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2018, 12:38:38 PM »

Misleading, yes they are hitting 40% as a team but it's low usage and largely driven by one shooter(Hill) which isn't dissimilar to the DJO teams. They are just above average in the amount of offense that is generated by 3pt shots (31.6%) this season. MU this year is generating 42% of it's offense via the 3(8th in the country) and the Buzzard's best MU year was 33.1% offense from 3s in 2010(Zar's senior year). Translation, they don't take a lot of 3s but when they do its usually Hill and they go in half the time.

It is an improvement from his later MU teams like the 2013 team(Vander's last year) where the team shot 27% from 3 and generated 18.5% of their offense that way (WOOF). Then somehow inexplicably hit like 27 of them against Davidson in the last 3 minutes so go figure.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2018, 01:24:57 PM »
I figure Buzz will be moving on in the next couple years. With the talent he brought back this year, missing the tournament (which looks more likely than not) would be a pretty big disappointment.  I'm sure he'll do some brilliant analysis as to why he needs to move to another job.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2018, 01:55:34 PM »
Happy for Buzz, but cannot help but think UNC might be a touch overrated this season.  They don’t seem to be the Tarheels of the last few years, especially on the road in the ACC this year.  1-3 with the victory a one point win at ND. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2018, 05:02:34 PM »

Excellent post.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »
Would be nice to see Buzz keep up the momentum in Va Techs next game against Notre Dame.
UNC Grad MU Fan

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2018, 07:06:24 PM »

Same for the most part.  I think I’m maybe more of a fan of Wojo already, but essentially agree.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2018, 08:43:45 PM »

Totally disagree. I think Buzz's strongest quality as a coach was the ability to adapt year to year ("Build a new house" as he would say). When he had good handlers/shooters and no size he milked the clock and shot a lot of 3s. When he had slashers he took it hard to the basket and shot a ton of free throws. At various times he had a center who played at the top of the key and scored, played down low and scored and played down low and walled guys off or got out of the way. He was at the cutting edge when good teams were turning to switchables and now his teams shot a lot of 3s and they shoot them well.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2018, 07:01:15 AM »
He is turd #1 these days.  Ignore is wonderful.
It's wonderful when 10 people don't quote him, which makes ignore worthless

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2018, 08:10:52 AM »
Totally disagree. I think Buzz's strongest quality as a coach was the ability to adapt year to year ("Build a new house" as he would say). When he had good handlers/shooters and no size he milked the clock and shot a lot of 3s. When he had slashers he took it hard to the basket and shot a ton of free throws. At various times he had a center who played at the top of the key and scored, played down low and scored and played down low and walled guys off or got out of the way. He was at the cutting edge when good teams were turning to switchables and now his teams shot a lot of 3s and they shoot them well.

With you on this. His MU teams were pretty dang different year-to-year, which is what made his success here so impressive. I do agree, however, that his ceiling is relatively low at VPI and he won't be there in 5 years.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2018, 08:40:05 AM »
With you on this. His MU teams were pretty dang different year-to-year, which is what made his success here so impressive. I do agree, however, that his ceiling is relatively low at VPI and he won't be there in 5 years.

He'll be there as long as they'll have him.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.