[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[April 29, 2024, 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 29, 2024, 11:00:09 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: WI Supreme Court Takes McAdams' Case  (Read 74746 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: WI Supreme Court Takes McAdams' Case
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »
So you posed a hypothetical, you didn't like that it didn't work out as you hoped, so now essentially you are calling all of us liars.  Not the strongest argument.

Not calling you or anyone else "liars". I'm sure you think that if my hypothetical were fact you would damning the MSM and praising Fox for its reporting, damning the liberal circuit court judge while celebrating that the conservative would right his wrong, etc., etc., etc. That is, however, pretty hard for me to imagine.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »
And here's where those defending McAdams on the basis of academic freedom are exposed as frauds.
They admittedly have no problem with the university firing certain faculty members for certain expressions, academic freedom be darned. They just take issue when that fired faculty member is simpatico to their political ideologies.

So you don't believe in academic freedom for anybody. Fair enough.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2018, 11:05:55 AM »
LOL. You tepidly and briefly acknowledged that MU had the right to fire a teacher who had her students paint a mural on an MU building to honor a convicted cop murderer.

I did not simply "acknowledge that MU had the right to fire her."  I said "Marquette handled it well once they saw what happened.  Painting over the mural and firing Bartlow made perfect sense."

Really this entire effort from you has been quite poor.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2018, 11:07:30 AM »

Like most freedoms, "academic freedom" is hardly absolute.  And that includes for tenured professors.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »
First, I'm on the record saying Abbate did not handle this properly. But...

I'm not sure she told him "what to think."  She really told him two things. 

1.  He should consider how students would feel if they were told they were not allowed the same rights as another person, simply because of their sexual orientation, race, or sex.  That they would likely be hurt/offended.  That is teaching him "how" to think, not "what" to think.

2.  That racist/bigoted/hateful speech will not be allowed in her classroom.    Again, that is not teaching him "what" to think.  It is just establishing rules for the classroom that are consistent with established MU rules.

Where she clearly errors is in shutting down his discussion on the topic.  That is an error of an inexperienced instructor, which is why as graduate students, as part of their curriculum, they are forced to teach so that they can obtain feedback and instruction on that aspect of their career.  I don't think this error though tells him "what" to think.
While that may be true as it relates to what she told the student after class, during class, by shutting down the discussion, she was telling all the students in the class what to think. 

And if I'm not mistaken, the issue of whether expressing one's religious beliefs is bigoted/hate speech is before the US Supremes, with a decision expected in a few months. 
(I double-checked.  I'm not mistaken.)

Do MU's established rules really include a prohibition against expressing the Catholic church's view of an issue at a Jesuit university? 
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
While that may be true as it relates to what she told the student after class, during class, by shutting down the discussion, she was telling all the students in the class what to think. 

And if I'm not mistaken, the issue of whether expressing one's religious beliefs is bigoted/hate speech is before the US Supremes, with a decision expected in a few months. 
(I double-checked.  I'm not mistaken.)

Do MU's established rules really include a prohibition against expressing the Catholic church's view of an issue at a Jesuit university? 

Professors have a right in a classroom setting to determine if a certain subject is relevant to the topic at hand.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2018, 11:18:04 AM »
Sorry, T, but that's what YOU want this ALL to be about. Others see it being about MULTIPLE things that may be in conflict with one another. I think the other side readily acknowledges that what you think this is all about is part of what it's about but not all. That's why it's in the courts.
Fair enough
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »

No idea.  Did not intend on suggesting that. 

Most universities though do have rules that the classroom should be a place safe from threatening, offensive or harrassing speech.  Abbate in this instance said that racist/bigotted and homophobic speech could be offensive and would not be tolerated.  That statement was actually not made in class, rather after class as the student pushed the issue. 

I disagree that shutting down a discussion, because it was a bad example for that particular topic, is telling the students "what to think."  She was in the wrong, nonetheless. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2018, 11:21:54 AM »

Another dumb strawman?
I believe in academic freedom. I also believe academic freedom has reasonable limits. Just like everyone here, including you  (see: your mural examples).
And just like American Association of University Professors.

That's why arguing this as a case of academic freedom is such a farce. Those on McAdams' don't truly believe any faculty member can express themselves in any manner without recourse.  They just think McAdams can express himself in this particular manner without recourse.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 11:24:27 AM by Pakuni »

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
No idea.  Did not intend on suggesting that. 

Most universities though do have rules that the classroom should be a place safe from threatening, offensive or harrassing speech.  Abbate in this instance said that racist/bigotted and homophobic speech could be offensive and would not be tolerated.  That statement was actually not made in class, rather after class as the student pushed the issue. 

I disagree that shutting down a discussion, because it was a bad example for that particular topic, is telling the students "what to think."  She was in the wrong, nonetheless.
Thanks. 

For the record then, and I'm asking because I'm not sure exactly what Abbate said in class v. what she told the student after, when did she tell the student he couldn't express his disagreement with same-sex marriage in her class?  And if after class, what exactly did she say to the student and the class while in class?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2018, 11:30:55 AM »
First, I'm on the record saying Abbate did not handle this properly. But...

I'm not sure she told him "what to think."  She really told him two things. 

1.  He should consider how students would feel if they were told they were not allowed the same rights as another person, simply because of their sexual orientation, race, or sex.  That they would likely be hurt/offended.  That is teaching him "how" to think, not "what" to think.

2.  That racist/bigoted/hateful speech will not be allowed in her classroom.    Again, that is not teaching him "what" to think.  It is just establishing rules for the classroom that are consistent with established MU rules.

Where she clearly errors is in shutting down his discussion on the topic.  That is an error of an inexperienced instructor, which is why as graduate students, as part of their curriculum, they are forced to teach so that they can obtain feedback and instruction on that aspect of their career.  I don't think this error though tells him "what" to think.

This is false. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
Sooo glad this thread keeps popping up.   

Can we lock it until the WiSC renders their decision, so we can all rehash why it's the worst/best decision in the history of mankind?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2018, 11:52:46 AM »
I have a question for the free McAdams crowd. Do you think his conduct was appropriate?

I'm trying to figure out if the argument is that McAdams did nothing wrong or if the punishment did not match the crime.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2018, 11:54:04 AM »
Sooo glad this thread keeps popping up.   

Can we lock it until the WiSC renders their decision, so we can all rehash why it's the worst/best decision in the history of mankind?

It is your board.  If you think this topic is inappropriate for the Superbar, I'll disagree with you, but won't start any new threads for the time being. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2018, 12:03:26 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anyone think that no one was a bad actor in this whole scenario, like anyone is 100% a victim? I'm pretty sure everyone is a bad actor it's just a question of how significant of a bad actor you were.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »
This is false.

It most certainly is not, most curricula require that students TA or in liberal arts disciplines teach a course as part of their education.  It is often a requirement of their graduate degree.  So my statement was certainly factual. 

As part of the Marquette Philosophy PhD, it is not a requirement, but is highly recommended as part of their expected career development. 

If your point on it being "false," is that it is not always required at all departments, then you are misinterpreting my statement and putting words in my mouth that were not stated.  I never said "always" and I never implied it either. 

The Abbate problem is the exact reason why many programs require/mandate teaching/TA'ing, which is factual, and what I said. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2018, 02:49:40 PM »
I have a question for the free McAdams crowd. Do you think his conduct was appropriate?

I'm trying to figure out if the argument is that McAdams did nothing wrong or if the punishment did not match the crime.

I think Lovell (sp?) and McAdams should have accepted the recommendation of the committee which I believe was 2 semesters without pay and perhaps this whole thing would have blown over.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2018, 04:02:49 PM »
Out of curiosity, does anyone think that no one was a bad actor in this whole scenario, like anyone is 100% a victim? I'm pretty sure everyone is a bad actor it's just a question of how significant of a bad actor you were.

Pretty sure most think just about everyone involved was a bad actor in this case.  Just one of them committed a fireable offense. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »

I'm not in the "free McAdams" crowd but I do not think his conduct was appropriate.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2018, 04:06:00 PM »
I think Lovell (sp?) and McAdams should have accepted the recommendation of the committee which I believe was 2 semesters without pay and perhaps this whole thing would have blown over.

This makes way to much sense.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 31, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »

Isn't this an admission of wrongdoing by McAdams?
And, if so, how does one credibly argue that he should have been suspended AND his actions are protected by academic freedom?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 31, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »
Isn't this an admission of wrongdoing by McAdams?
And, if so, how does one credibly argue that he should have been suspended AND his actions are protected by academic freedom?

Not really. Lovell never gave McAdams the chance to take the committees recommendation so we'll never know.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2018, 04:44:21 PM »
Not really. Lovell never gave McAdams the chance to take the committees recommendation so we'll never know.

But that's not my question.
My question is that if you and other "Team McAdams" posters think he ought to have been suspended, then how can you also argue that academic freedom protects him from being punished for his actions?
Seems either he's protected or he isn't, and the level of discipline is irrelevant.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #123 on: January 31, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
If MU loses the case, Lovell should resign... or be forced out, right?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »
If MU loses the case, Lovell should resign... or be forced out, right?

No. Not even close. Do you have any idea how often universities get sued? If presidents stepped down every time the university lost a lawsuit the average turnover for the job would be a month.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback