Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Hauser v. Novak  (Read 5347 times)

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Hauser v. Novak
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:49:29 AM »
Hauser YTD vs. Novak 2006 advanced stats are eerily similar

ORtg: Hauser 135.5, Novak 135.4
Usage: 18.2, 18.2
eFG%: 66.0, 64.3
TS%: 67.9, 67.8
OR%: 5.2, 3.9
DR%: 17.1, 15.0
ARate: 15.5, 7.5
TORate: 11.6, 9.7
3P%: 49.6 (6.4 Attempts/game), 46.7 (8.4 a/g)
2P%: 52.6, 50.0
FT%: 90.0, 97.4

Virtually identical overall efficiency & shooting #s, Sam has an edge in Assist rate, Novak less TO's (didn't handle the ball nearly as much). Sam a marginally better rebounder. I'd say Sam is also a better defender, though Novak became serviceable on that end his senior year.

Long story short, we get a player of Novak's senior year quality for (hopefully) 2.5 more years. Awesome!

MU82

• All American
Re: Hauser v. Novak
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
Great statistical look. Thanks.

Sam is already better than Novak ever was in college, IMHO. And I really liked watching Novak.

Those who know me know that I don't make such comparisons lightly, either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 11:57:32 AM »
It's an easy comparison to draw, given the style of play and the high basketball IQ, but I'm surprised the numbers are as close as they were. Without having the stats in front of me, I would have assumed Novak had the better eFG% and 3P%. That really says something about the level Sam is playing at this year. If he can get a little quicker and improve his defense a little bit each of the next two years, he's going to be one hell of a player his senior year.

I think this further confirms... S2N.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »
Nah.  Wojo just recruited Sam to get the inside track on Joey.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »
Great statistical look. Thanks.

Sam is already better than Novak ever was in college, IMHO. And I really liked watching Novak.

Those who know me know that I don't make such comparisons lightly, either.

Agree.  Sam is a stude.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
Hauser YTD vs. Novak 2006 advanced stats are eerily similar

ORtg: Hauser 135.5, Novak 135.4
Usage: 18.2, 18.2
eFG%: 66.0, 64.3
TS%: 67.9, 67.8
OR%: 5.2, 3.9
DR%: 17.1, 15.0
ARate: 15.5, 7.5
TORate: 11.6, 9.7
3P%: 49.6 (6.4 Attempts/game), 46.7 (8.4 a/g)
2P%: 52.6, 50.0
FT%: 90.0, 97.4

Virtually identical overall efficiency & shooting #s, Sam has an edge in Assist rate, Novak less TO's (didn't handle the ball nearly as much). Sam a marginally better rebounder. I'd say Sam is also a better defender, though Novak became serviceable on that end his senior year.

Long story short, we get a player of Novak's senior year quality for (hopefully) 2.5 more years. Awesome!
Excellent post. Hauser is a big part of why the future is bright for MU.

TheGym

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:45 PM »
Hauser is our best and most complete player right now.  I do think he is a much better rebounder than Novak so I give the nod to Hauser.  But my opinion may be clouded by watching Novak try and rebound in the NBA.  That was painful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:55:16 PM »
I was surprised the Rebound % numbers were as close as they were. Although, it makes more sense realizing that’s Novak’s senior year. I have to assume he’s a decent amount ahead of Novak’s sophomore year number.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 03:55:20 PM »
Excellent post. Hauser is a big part of why the future is bright for MU.

I feel you dawg. Totally on the same page.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 05:43:29 PM »
Agree.  Sam is a stude.

Studebaker owner?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »
I love Sam, but remind me again of the other drop dead shooters on that 2006 team with Steve who occupied defenders on the perimeter. Teams plan A, B and C was to deny Novak the ball - not the same for Sam. Apples and oranges.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 07:16:57 PM »
I think Sam is a better defender, better rebounder and better passer than Novak was.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »
I love Sam, but remind me again of the other drop dead shooters on that 2006 team with Steve who occupied defenders on the perimeter. Teams plan A, B and C was to deny Novak the ball - not the same for Sam. Apples and oranges.

Good point, Lenny.

Of course, the devil's advocate could say that, unlike the senior-year Novak, Sam has to compete for the ball every game with two 20 ppg scorers who like to dribble and shoot A LOT.

The 05-06 Warriors had some fine players, of course, but it was Novak's team. Few would say this is Sam's team.

But yes, I do agree some with your point.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »
You guys are drunk. Novak.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:02 PM »
Sam is going to end up somewhere in the top 50 players in MU history if he continues on the same trajectory. This would be quite an accomplishment. We know his teammates love playing alongside him which is a big positive.

Novak on the other hand, played 11 seasons in the NBA.  That speaks volumes to Novaks specific talent. I would say based on everything I have seen over the years Novak is a top 30 player in MU history.

One thing I have noticed this year, is when Rowsey is in the mode of passing, he is quite keen on passing to Sam.  Elliot also tends to look for Sam. So as the year goes on we may see even more of his shooting prowess.

Lets see where this discussion is at the end of Sams senior year.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 08:21:19 PM »
Good point, Lenny.

Of course, the devil's advocate could say that, unlike the senior-year Novak, Sam has to compete for the ball every game with two 20 ppg scorers who like to dribble and shoot A LOT.

The 05-06 Warriors had some fine players, of course, but it was Novak's team. Few would say this is Sam's team.

But yes, I do agree some with your point.

When Sam does screen/roll with Markus or Rowsey he's often wide open on the pick and pop because nobody wants to give M or R an open look. In 2006 opponents dared Dom or Jerel to take the open outside shot but never for a moment left Steve alone. When you're the second or third option a team is trying to shut down it's different from being the first.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 08:33:29 PM »
When Sam does screen/roll with Markus or Rowsey he's often wide open on the pick and pop because nobody wants to give M or R an open look. In 2006 opponents dared Dom or Jerel to take the open outside shot but never for a moment left Steve alone. When you're the second or third option a team is trying to shut down it's different from being the first.
This concept is applicable in many sports. The guys who make money in these roles are the ones who can deliver.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »
Sam is going to end up somewhere in the top 50 players in MU history if he continues on the same trajectory. This would be quite an accomplishment. We know his teammates love playing alongside him which is a big positive.

Novak on the other hand, played 11 seasons in the NBA.  That speaks volumes to Novaks specific talent. I would say based on everything I have seen over the years Novak is a top 30 player in MU history.

One thing I have noticed this year, is when Rowsey is in the mode of passing, he is quite keen on passing to Sam.  Elliot also tends to look for Sam. So as the year goes on we may see even more of his shooting prowess.

Lets see where this discussion is at the end of Sams senior year.

With respect to the eye test, Sam has taken a huge step forward even in the last handful of games. It seems like he is always surprising you with new aspects of his game and improvements upon what he has already been doing quite successfully. Observing this trend, you'd have to conclude that his game today is probably just scratching the surface of what he might be capable of.

For example:

- the quick pullup/fade shot that he has been masterful at this season. This takes an incredible amount of skill and practice and he is now doing this all over the court (beginning of the season, he tended to do this along the baseline)
 - we have seen him drive to the basket on several occasions recently and with surprising quickness. I'd have to go back and rewatch to know for sure, but seems to be driving with more frequency
 - seems to be creating more shots for himself overall as opposed to being (some might say) overly patient and waiting for a perfect shot. We are seeing him take over games as opposed to being "quiet" on his way to a perfectly solid stat line
 - making himself available for shots - when he doesn't have the ball in his hands he is getting himself in position to score

He's definitely the most complete player on the team and at this point, have to wonder if he would be the more likely than Howard to bounce early. Fingers and toes crossed we've got him for 4 years but the NBA scouts have got to be taking notice.

IMO, I meant to say, if he continues on this trajectory he will be well into the top 50.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:49:54 PM by yetipro »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 11:00:21 PM »

Fair.

Maybe it's my recency bias, I admit to that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 11:02:24 PM »
With respect to the eye test, Sam has taken a huge step forward even in the last handful of games. It seems like he is always surprising you with new aspects of his game and improvements upon what he has already been doing quite successfully. Observing this trend, you'd have to conclude that his game today is probably just scratching the surface of what he might be capable of.

For example:

- the quick pullup/fade shot that he has been masterful at this season. This takes an incredible amount of skill and practice and he is now doing this all over the court (beginning of the season, he tended to do this along the baseline)
 - we have seen him drive to the basket on several occasions recently and with surprising quickness. I'd have to go back and rewatch to know for sure, but seems to be driving with more frequency
 - seems to be creating more shots for himself overall as opposed to being (some might say) overly patient and waiting for a perfect shot. We are seeing him take over games as opposed to being "quiet" on his way to a perfectly solid stat line
 - making himself available for shots - when he doesn't have the ball in his hands he is getting himself in position to score

He's definitely the most complete player on the team and at this point, have to wonder if he would be the more likely than Howard to bounce early. Fingers and toes crossed we've got him for 4 years but the NBA scouts have got to be taking notice.

IMO, I meant to say, if he continues on this trajectory he will be well into the top 50.

Numerous excellent points here.

I would add that Sam is getting more and more comfortable posting up opponents. I love when he does it, especially if the guy is smaller than him. He has a very nice touch on the 10-foot turnaround - which is kind of an NBA shot.

If Sam sticks around and continues progressing anywhere near the pace he already has, we'll be laughing about when folks thought he might crack the top 50.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »

You are correct with respect to the (relative) ease Sam has in getting an open shot compared to Steve.  There is a huge benefit to being the #3 option.

However, Sam has already shown himself to be a better defender, rebounder and passer than Steve IMHO.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2018, 02:30:52 PM »
I love the simple fact that we're comparing a sophomore to a senior who:

• Was a unanimous first-team All-Big East conference player
• Set the MU career mark for 3-point field goals made
• Became just the 6th player in program history to record 1,500 points and 500 rebounds
• Went on to be drafted and play more than a decade in the NBA

When watching Steve play during his Marquette career, he had the purest shot that I'd ever seen. Hands down. I thought I'd never see anyone who even came close. Until Sam. As of right now, he has higher career shooting percentages than Steve from both 2-point and 3-point range. And as others have pointed out, Sam has a stronger all-around game (passing, rebounding and defense).

Did I mention he's only a sophomore?

Sam could finish his Marquette career as a true legend. I honestly don't think Big East player of the year or All-American is out of the question.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »

But is he only 18???  Got ya there....
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 01:30:12 PM »
I love the simple fact that we're comparing a sophomore to a senior who:

• Was a unanimous first-team All-Big East conference player
• Set the MU career mark for 3-point field goals made
• Became just the 6th player in program history to record 1,500 points and 500 rebounds
• Went on to be drafted and play more than a decade in the NBA

When watching Steve play during his Marquette career, he had the purest shot that I'd ever seen. Hands down. I thought I'd never see anyone who even came close. Until Sam. As of right now, he has higher career shooting percentages than Steve from both 2-point and 3-point range. And as others have pointed out, Sam has a stronger all-around game (passing, rebounding and defense).

Sam could finish his Marquette career as a true legend. I honestly don't think Big East player of the year or All-American is out of the question.

I think he will have plenty of credibility by the time he is a senior, especially since he has been great from the start. If he continues being "loud" enough to be noticed I have to imagine he will be in the conversation.

He will deserve the consideration regardless, but he also has to be noticed/talked about nationally to get real consideration. I think he's well on his way.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »
Sam is very, very good.    What will his scoring averages look like as a junior and senior when he is no longer required to play 35 mpg? The team is going to have lots of depth, I doubt he plays as much.  How will he do against SF's?    Will he be able to defend SF's?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.