'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2018 Grad Transfer Thread, Updated 4/19/2018  (Read 179830 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: 2018 Grad Transfer Thread, Updated 2/15/2018
« Reply #250 on: March 29, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
I would definitely take the guy but... he's put up Derrick Wilson-esque offensive efficiency with a pretty high turnover rate and middling shooting #s. I like the steals but... can he play positional point of attack D and fight through ball screens on a pick & roll? I honestly don't know, would love if the answer is yes.

Check out the numbers from his junior year. Offensive talent is there. Put him on a team where he's the  4th or 5th scoring option, that efficiency will climb...while he distributes and defends. Think he could be an 8 point, 5 assist, 2 steal a game kind of player for us
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #251 on: March 29, 2018, 10:32:50 AM »
Sign me up for Chartouney.  6-3, good defender, a distributor to get the ball to Markus, Sam, Joey, & company. I like the fit.

Expectations would be the PG version of Trent Lockett.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #252 on: March 29, 2018, 10:46:06 AM »
I would definitely take the guy but... he's put up Derrick Wilson-esque offensive efficiency with a pretty high turnover rate and middling shooting #s. I like the steals but... can he play positional point of attack D and fight through ball screens on a pick & roll? I honestly don't know, would love if the answer is yes.

His efficiency is poor but he was on terrible teams. He did post a higher (albeit sightly) offensive efficiency than the team offensive efficiency in each season. Not saying he'd be Rowsey, but I'm confident he'd improve his offensive efficiency in our offense.

My main confidences in him are his defensive reputation and the number of scouts and journalists that seem to think he's a high-major talent. Also, the interest from Purdue, Iowa, and Nevada indicates solid programs believe he can play at a higher level.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #253 on: March 29, 2018, 10:53:58 AM »
I love the idea of this guy.  You want Markus on the floor as much as you can.  Add Chartouney and he can distribute the ball and set Markus up for shots.  But the key is you now have a taller bigger guard on the defensive end to defend the other teams highest scoring guard and be up top for switches on the PaR.  When Chartouney goes to the bench you bring in Elliott as the second ball handler, Markus plays the point for a few minutes but you still have Elliott as the bigger guard.  You'd only have to play Elliott at PG in some unusual situations like foul trouble. 
I think this kid plugs a huge hole with experience and a good defender.  We still need to add a traditional transfer PG this year or a very good HS kid to sign in the Fall to play the same role the following year.  I think Elliott will turn out to be a good player but don't want to completely rely on him or Markus to be the 30 minutes/game PG.  Any decent team needs 3 guys who can handle the ball.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #254 on: March 29, 2018, 11:22:55 AM »
You guys paint a very nice picture and I must admit, the prospect of a 6' 4" pass-first PG that defends well next to 6'7" Cain or 6'3" Elliott as a running mate and the Hausers/Morrow/Theo on the wing/block is quite tantalizing. Scoring plus D & athelticsism. Then if Nelson stays and can do for his shooting what he did with Cain/Elliott/Theo 1st to 2nd semester this year and Heldt's FT stroke from soph to junior year, that's a really high upside squad.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #255 on: March 29, 2018, 11:25:28 AM »
I'd like to do better than this kid...a stud would be nice. I mean he'd be okay I suppose, but nothing that will "wow" you.

The only other obvious stud on the radar right now is Custer... and I'm thinking when those two buzzer beaters went in against Miami & Tennessee that ship sailed unfortunately. Either he stays for another run at it, or follows Moser to X.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #256 on: March 29, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »
Y y'all tink sum stud wood reely wanna play here, given udder options, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #257 on: March 29, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »

Why not? Wojo has proven himself to be a pretty good recruiter.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2018, 12:10:35 PM »
You guys paint a very nice picture and I must admit, the prospect of a 6' 4" pass-first PG that defends well next to 6'7" Cain or 6'3" Elliott as a running mate and the Hausers/Morrow/Theo on the wing/block is quite tantalizing.

Chartouney is not putting Markus on the bench except for short periods.  Markus is still the team leader and will be the leading scorer.  What is nice is that this team appeared better on defense and rebounding when we had ONE but not BOTH of the sub 6' guards in the game.  That now becomes the way we always play.(and short stints with no sub 6' players)  If Elliott played only a little more than he did this year and even Sam played a little less that would be great for the team next year.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #259 on: March 29, 2018, 12:15:19 PM »
The other options being...?

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #260 on: March 29, 2018, 12:23:36 PM »

Agree.  Not sure why people are super stoked over Chartouny?  Plays on 292nd best team.  Poor shooter.  Relatively low usage.  94.9 O-Rating. 

Now, he was 2nd best in Steal Percentage. 

The differential between Rowsey and this guy is HUGE.  Our offense won't be anywhere close to what we were last season.  Looks for Sam and Markus will be much more difficult to come by.  Driving lanes for Sacar won't be nearly as available.

If we can't step up to be a Top 50 team defensively next season, think we will be an NIT team once again.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #261 on: March 29, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »
Chartouney is not putting Markus on the bench except for short periods.  Markus is still the team leader and will be the leading scorer.  What is nice is that this team appeared better on defense and rebounding when we had ONE but not BOTH of the sub 6' guards in the game.  That now becomes the way we always play.(and short stints with no sub 6' players)  If Elliott played only a little more than he did this year and even Sam played a little less that would be great for the team next year.

My guy, I'm referring to the 10 mpg that Markus will be on the bench or in cases of foul trouble.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2018, 12:39:15 PM »
Agree.  Not sure why people are super stoked over Chartouny?  Plays on 292nd best team.  Poor shooter.  Relatively low usage.  94.9 O-Rating. 

The differential between Rowsey and this guy is HUGE.  Our offense won't be anywhere close to what we were last season.  Looks for Sam and Markus will be much more difficult to come by.  Driving lanes for Sacar won't be nearly as available.

If we can't step up to be a Top 50 team defensively next season, think we will be an NIT team once again.

A low usage distributor is ideal for a team with two lead scorer types in Howard and Hauser and other scoring options like Anim and Morrow already in the fold.

100th percentile in steals, 98th percentile in defensive efficiency. So...do you WANT defensive improvement, or not?

Our offense was at its best when Rowsey was a distributor. All we need is a guy that can play great defense, create for others, and keep the defense honest. That seems to be Chartouny.

And again, you talk about wanting defensive improvement while simultaneously dismissing the best defensive grad transfer available. Not sure if serious...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
A low usage distributor is ideal for a team with two lead scorer types in Howard and Hauser and other scoring options like Anim and Morrow already in the fold.

And Joey.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2018, 12:50:21 PM »

100th percentile in steals, 98th percentile in defensive efficiency. So...do you WANT defensive improvement, or not?

Our offense was at its best when Rowsey was a distributor. All we need is a guy that can play great defense, create for others, and keep the defense honest. That seems to be Chartouny.

And again, you talk about wanting defensive improvement while simultaneously dismissing the best defensive grad transfer available. Not sure if serious...

My take is simply watch what happens to the scoring opportunities for Markus, Sam, Sacar when you have a Derrick Wilson-esque PG on the floor.  Now, Chartouney certainly has more offensive skill than Derrick, but, he's subpar offensively without question.

The notion that we were at our best when "Andrew was distributing," is great - but he was also scoring 23 a game WHILE distributing.  Rowsey's assist rate is identical to Chartouney.

Sure, I want us to be better than 175th defensively, and my view was we could have been better than that this past season, with not playing the midgets together AS much, and playing zone with Cain playing 30 minutes per game.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
Brew is right......offense survived losing Luke, JJ, Reinhardt and Duane. Was still Elite ......it can certainly still be very good to Elite with a defensive pg who can distribute and is also capable of scoring.

We will have of plenty of scoring options next year......adding Joey and Ed.....bigger usage from other guys like Cain, Elliott and Sam.

I'm.not worried about the offense.......if this guy can guard at an elite level, take care of the ball and find our shooters sign me up.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2018, 01:15:03 PM »
Well we could have had Harry AND Traci.  Keeping Traci would have cost us one of the three freshmen - Eke being the most obvious one to choose HOWEVER Greg took the last scholarship.  I would much rather have Greg than Traci.

Regardless I am not sure Traci is as good as some people think he is.  We will see.  But he turned the ball over a ton and wasn't that great defensively.

I will postulate that Traci will put up better numbers than what Chartouney put up this past season in the A-10.

Traci was Tony Miller 2.0.  Unfortunately, Wojo didn't hand him the reigns to be the PG at MU from Day 1.  Oddly Wojo wanted to square peg Haanif into that role.  And then, Year 2, Traci got benched in favor or Markus/Rowsey. 

Good old Thomas Bilde had it right on the broadcasts of our games on the Italian Summer trip - The Engine.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2018, 01:19:02 PM »
My take is simply watch what happens to the scoring opportunities for Markus, Sam, Sacar when you have a Derrick Wilson-esque PG on the floor.  Now, Chartouney certainly has more offensive skill than Derrick, but, he's subpar offensively without question.

The notion that we were at our best when "Andrew was distributing," is great - but he was also scoring 23 a game WHILE distributing.  Rowsey's assist rate is identical to Chartouney.

Sure, I want us to be better than 175th defensively, and my view was we could have been better than that this past season, with not playing the midgets together AS much, and playing zone with Cain playing 30 minutes per game.

Chartouny averaged double digits all three years. Proved he could score consistently in one of the better mid-major leagues. I'm confident his efficiency would improve significantly when surrounded by better players. He's also a year removed from a respectable 44.6 2P%/38.2 3P%/75.9 FT% so the shooting ability is there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #268 on: March 29, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »
Joseph Chartouney: 126 3PMs on 32.7% shooting through three seasons
Derrick Wilson: 11 3PMs on 17.7% shooting through four seasons

Why the hell are we comparing Chartouney's offense to Derrick's? Different kind of players and Derrick's offense isn't in the same zip code as Chartouney's
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:32:52 PM by TAMU Chardonnay »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #269 on: March 29, 2018, 01:20:18 PM »

It's a valid concern to have. The hope is being on a better team increases his efficiency.  JC would be able to differ to Markus and Sam and take fewer bad shots.

The big question is, can JC break down a defense and force rotation? Do that with Markus, Sam, Joey/Jamal spotting up and Morrow/John rolling to the hoop and the offense will be just fine.

I also expect more offense to run through Sam and Joey posting 15 ft out.  It'll be a bit different offense but I think it'll remain effective.

Plus, you can put in defensive wrinkles with JC, Elliott, and Cain on the floor. Look to create turnovers and run more when Markus is on the bench.

JC won't replace Rowsey all by himself but JC+Morrow+Joey+improvement from returning players looks like a better team to me.

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »
Joseph Chartouney: 126 3PMs on 32.7% shooting through three seasons
Derrick Wilson: 11 3PMs on 17.7% shooting through four seasons

Why the hell are we comparing Chartouney's offense to Derrick's? Different kind of players and Derrick's offense isn't in the same zip code as Chartouney's...or his defense for that matter

I foresee the return of Ners injecting Chartouney into every thread next year and comparing him to Derrick.  Do we really want Chartouney?

MuMark

• All American

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2018, 01:40:13 PM »
I will postulate that Traci will put up better numbers than what Chartouney put up this past season in the A-10.

Traci was Tony Miller 2.0.  Unfortunately, Wojo didn't hand him the reigns to be the PG at MU from Day 1.  Oddly Wojo wanted to square peg Haanif into that role.  And then, Year 2, Traci got benched in favor or Markus/Rowsey. 

Good old Thomas Bilde had it right on the broadcasts of our games on the Italian Summer trip - The Engine.

I think your opinion of Traci is inflated, he was not very good, and didn't develop a whole lot during his three semesters at MU.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #273 on: March 29, 2018, 01:45:59 PM »
I liked Traci but he was not anywhere near Tony Miller.

Traci had a nice start to his sophomore year but the combination of injury, Howard, and Rowsey caused him to look elsewhere.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2018, 01:52:48 PM »

Did you mean Traci was Tony Miller/2.0?

feedback