[Today at 07:36:37 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: CBS remembers the game of the Century.  (Read 1313 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
CBS remembers the game of the Century.
« on: January 13, 2018, 09:26:08 AM »
I can remember watching the game at Schroeder. It did put college basketball on the map. Back then watching a MU game or any college basketball game on TV was a rarity.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/cbs-sports-network-to-air-special-on-ucla-and-houstons-epic-game-of-the-century/

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: CBS remembers the game of the Century.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:28:53 PM »
           we might have had a 25" B & W RCA at the time.  almost considered a "big screen" at the time-eyn'er?  could practically warm your hands from the tubes in back ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:32:58 PM »
I read the topic and thought it was LSU-Alabama.  ;D You need to be a cfb fan to understand.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 10:25:24 PM »
Here is a great you tube video on the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e31mA5clAg

HOFer UH coach Guy v Lewis (deceased), who was a client and friend,  told me when the big game in Houston between Lew Alcindor's no 1 UCLA and the No 2 UH Elvin Hayes team was coming up--he knew Hofheinz Pavilion wouldn't hold the crowd.  Guy called local business friends and they PERSONALLY  rented  the Astrodome, and Guy personally paid the insurance premium from his pocket....all were well rewarded, including with a big win and the largest crowd ,ever , to see a BB game.

Many say this was the birth of big stadium /national broadcast College BB.

A college BB network headed by Eddie Einhorn, TVS,  helped put together the first regular season national broadcast of college basketball for the Game of the Century between the Houston Cougars and UCLA Bruins in 1968. He later sold his interest in the network and became the head of CBS Sports. The NCAA held tourney rights --so at CBS , Einhorn encouraged the natl tv contract and big stadium move.   Their jump to the natl stage, natl tv and the use of big domes is traced to this UH game as its launching point (ie this was the kernel of the idea). Read Einhorn's book "How March Became Madness"-- for all these evolutionary details.

Of course, no 2 UCLA avenged this loss by stomping no 1 UH later in the year at the NCAAs....but the Game of the Century will always be a gem to recall.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 12:48:43 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 09:36:31 PM »
Elvin Hayes was one heck of a player.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

feedback