Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: ACC  (Read 5858 times)

nyg

• All American
Re: ACC
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 08:59:12 AM »
Watched bit of Pitt-Louisville game.  Announcer/analyst stated Stallings hoped to have a great recruiting year so all the players currently on floor will be the 8th/9th men on the team next year. Ha....good luck with that.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:11 AM »
I don't see Howland back at Pitt, only for the same reasons he couldn't land at MU or anywhere better than Mississippi State. 

A lot of their fan base would rather see a young assistant with ties to the program - Brandin Knight was most people's first choice when Dixon left, and might still be.  Or perhaps someone like Orlando Antigua, though he flamed out at South Florida.  They might dream of a local big shot coming home (one of the Miller bros., Calipari), but that's never happening.

And not only was Stallings a dud of a hire on its face, but the backstory made it even more suspect.  Pitt's AD at the time hired a search firm, which happened to be run by the Pitt AD's former boss.  That former boss also happened to be AD at Vandy when Stallings was hired as Vandy's coach.  That type of conflict of interest might fly if you're bringing in a superstar, but Stallings ain't no superstar.

Also, Duquesne won't be holding their breath to join the Big East - they're tailor-made for the A-10.  Their new coach (Dambrot) is going to have success.  Maybe not Dayton-level success, but enough to make them somewhat relevant and get them to the tourney for the first time since 1977 (imagine if MU hadn't been back since winning it all...).  And speaking of Dayton, I went to the Duquesne-Dayton game a few weeks back - Greek Freak Jr. definitely has the athleticism and can sky, but he also makes a lot of boneheaded plays (like getting a T for taunting on a put-back dunk).  His leash is short on a very iffy Dayton team, so he's playing in the right league.

Sounds like a lesser version of Greg Elliott. Glad we have Wojo & co. calling the shots on personnel...

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »
Sounds like a lesser version of Greg Elliott. Glad we have Wojo & co. calling the shots on personnel...

Kostas and Greg Elliott both look like their arms are roughly 75% longer than anyone else's.  Kostas has the height advantage, for sure, and can come up with some "out of nowhere" blocks and rebounds.  However, Elliot plays much more in control and has a better shot.  I think Kostas' length will serve him well enough and he'll put up some good numbers in the next few years, but he'd get abused by Big East bigs.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 11:27:56 AM »
Kostas and Greg Elliott both look like their arms are roughly 75% longer than anyone else's.  Kostas has the height advantage, for sure, and can come up with some "out of nowhere" blocks and rebounds.  However, Elliot plays much more in control and has a better shot.  I think Kostas' length will serve him well enough and he'll put up some good numbers in the next few years, but he'd get abused by Big East bigs.

I haven't watched Kostas play, but I was curious about how his stats compare to GE. Kostas is a better rebounder, blocker, and gets to the line more frequently (though his FT% is terrible). Greg has a higher ORTG, AST% and STL%. Kostas also has a very bad TO% in a middling A-10 conference. Give me GE any day of the week.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 11:37:26 AM »
I haven't watched Kostas play, but I was curious about how his stats compare to GE. Kostas is a better rebounder, blocker, and gets to the line more frequently (though his FT% is terrible). Greg has a higher ORTG, AST% and STL%. Kostas also has a very bad TO% in a middling A-10 conference. Give me GE any day of the week.

Keep in mind that Dayton is a .500 team this season and playing a much weaker schedule. He's at the back of their rotation.  He's exactly where he needs to be. Could see him starting eventually for the Flyers
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:03 AM »
The Marquette fanbase would have been thrilled at hiring Kevin Stallings back in 2008-09 when we hired Buzz.  They were coming off of a Sweet 16 just a year or two earlier, and would have three more 20 win seasons in the near future.  (And he beat Buzz twice head to head.)  So let's not get on Chicos too much about that.  It wasn't an unheard of choice.

He wasn't going to leave Vandy for Marquette at that time anyway so the point is moot.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 11:58:26 AM »
Keep in mind that Dayton is a .500 team this season and playing a much weaker schedule. He's at the back of their rotation.  He's exactly where he needs to be. Could see him starting eventually for the Flyers

Yes, absolutely. Greg is putting up those numbers against much tougher competition.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 12:10:10 PM »
Watched bit of Pitt-Louisville game.  Announcer/analyst stated Stallings hoped to have a great recruiting year so all the players currently on floor will be the 8th/9th men on the team next year. Ha....good luck with that.
I remember hoping that McGuire would recruit Stallings.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 12:32:43 PM »

Are Kevin from the Office and Kevin Stallings the same person??

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »
Are Kevin from the Office and Kevin Stallings the same person??

On payday, yes.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback