* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MU82
[Today at 09:58:34 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 09:27:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by HutchwasClutch
[June 01, 2024, 07:03:02 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Captain Obvious: Nova is Good  (Read 2984 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Captain Obvious: Nova is Good
« on: January 06, 2018, 08:45:55 PM »
2 years ago when we played Nova at home I said if they were ever going to win a Natty it was that year. Could still shoot the heck out of the ball but didn’t rely on it like they had in past years and had size to throw it into in the post.

Last year I said they were one of the best teams in the country but didn’t have the size down low or the depth and thought they were going to get caught somewhere and they did.

I’ll say it now. I think Nova wins the Natty this year. They are really, really good. Deep, athletic, big, can shoot, disciplined.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Captain Obvious: Nova is Good
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 08:47:11 PM »
On paper they are easily the best team in the country with only MSU being able to make a claim
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 08:51:26 PM »
Oh and I know people love Bridges as an NBA prospect. If I could have one guy from this team on the Bucks it’s Brunson. I know he’s not particularly athletic but he’s just so under control.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:57:52 PM »
Oh and I know people love Bridges as an NBA prospect. If I could have one guy from this team on the Bucks it’s Brunson. I know he’s not particularly athletic but he’s just so under control.

Everything Brunson does just looks so smooth and so effortless. Wrong jersey, but the guy is fun to watch.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »

Hauser did a nice job on Bridges.

Brunson is the boss

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
Men against boys tonight.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 09:36:03 PM »
agree, but to me the difference is our good players are frosh and soph theirs are not.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 09:36:58 PM »

The boys looked pretty good against those men though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 09:39:44 PM »
I think our boys can hang their head high. They never gave up.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 09:45:47 PM »
Our guys played hard to the end and that is great. Does not change the fact that the team we played tonight is light years ahead of us at the moment.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »
Let's not forget, Wright had some sh1tty, sh1tty teams before he turned it around.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 09:51:11 PM »
agree, but to me the difference is our good players are frosh and soph theirs are not.

Just so you know, Nova played 8 guys tonight.

4 juniors, 2 sophomores and 2 freshmen.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2018, 10:56:38 PM »

Bridges and Brunson are good enough to come out this spring.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 11:10:00 PM »

Where? When?

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 11:16:49 PM »
And even Nova gave up 90 points to the runts.   :D   Duke has given up an average of 90 the last 3 games.  Maybe defenses around the country, sans Virginia, are lacking.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 11:52:28 PM »
Jalen Brunson was the best player I saw live at the high school level in at least a decade, better than Jabari, Rose and AD. His junior and senior seasons at Stevenson we're some all timers matching the likes of Jon Scheyer and Quentin Richardson (who is still the best player I've ever seen live).

Obviously his pro career is still TBD, but he will go down as one of the best college/high school players of the decade.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 06:56:13 AM »
Agreed that Nova should be the favorite for the title this year. Michigan State has been remarkably consistent as well, but this Nova team is better than the one that won the title in 2016.

While I could certainly see Brunson and Bridges going pro, just the idea that they could bring this entire team back next year is absolutely terrifying. Even if those two both leave, they still likely return DiVincenzo, Booth, Spellman, Paschall, and all those freshmen. They aren't going anywhere any time soon.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2018, 07:51:26 AM »

I know. thats my point. but it's not who played it's who are the key players. Nova has 4 juniors that play a key role and are major contributors.  Three of those are red shirt juniors. as you know the improvement from soph to jr is large, the jump from freshman to Jr is massive. mu has rowsey, who was ineffective and then a bunch of soph and freshmen.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 08:06:49 AM »
Jalen Brunson was the best player I saw live at the high school level in at least a decade, better than Jabari, Rose and AD. His junior and senior seasons at Stevenson we're some all timers matching the likes of Jon Scheyer and Quentin Richardson (who is still the best player I've ever seen live).

Obviously his pro career is still TBD, but he will go down as one of the best college/high school players of the decade.

Unnatural carnal knowledge Stevenson.  I want to like Brunson, but I just can't.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
Here's what I'll say.  Nova proves you can build a powerhouse program at a medium sized Catholic BEast school. It truly wasn't that many years ago when they looked a lot like today's Marquette.  I remember when we expected to beat them twice.  Xavier is getting close to that.  Wojo knows the job ahead of him.  BEast basketball is simply incredible, built exactly like it is.

(When was the last time you hears some schmo say NBE?  Ridiculous.  Dave Gavitt smiles down.)

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »
Maybe a little off topic. I thought Cain & Elliot would disappear in the Big East conference season as many freshmen do. So far both have stepped up their games. They should be very good two years from now, especially if they become physically strong like the Nova players. Boys become men.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 08:24:03 AM »
Our guys played hard to the end and that is great. Does not change the fact that the team we played tonight is light years ahead of us at the moment.

"Light years ahead"  is a stretch.  V is very, very good and may finish number one.  But, we can be proud of this Warrior team who put up a helluva good fight until the end. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »
Is there a reason Spellman isn't being considered a possible "one" and done? Fair or not, I compare him to Justin Patton because they were both talented big men who redshirtted their first season. My eye test isn't perfect but I think Spellman is a having a better season than Patton did. Is it just Patton's length that makes him a lottery pick and makes Spellman a four year player? Patton is more athletic but I think Spellman is a better rebounder, rim protector, and shooter.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 12:49:30 PM »
Is there a reason Spellman isn't being considered a possible "one" and done? Fair or not, I compare him to Justin Patton because they were both talented big men who redshirtted their first season. My eye test isn't perfect but I think Spellman is a having a better season than Patton did. Is it just Patton's length that makes him a lottery pick and makes Spellman a four year player? Patton is more athletic but I think Spellman is a better rebounder, rim protector, and shooter.

Spellman reminds me of a guy that would've been a hot commodity a few years ago but I'm not sure about today. His shooting might find him a spot, but he doesn't look athletic enough to be a stretch 4 and not big enough to be a 5.

It certainly wouldn't shock me if he left early, even after this year, and he has enough skills that he can probably be a solid bench player, but when I think early entrant, lottery types, the difference in athleticism between him and a guy like Patton is something that jumps off the page.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2018, 04:32:02 PM »

Light years??

Let's pump the breaks.

Heck I know some Nova fans who say just taking Brunson off that team and they are fringe top 25.

They are very good and experienced and definitely better then us by a good margin. But it ain't light years.

We will give them a run very soon.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....