[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Xavier’s Studs of the game  (Read 8973 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Xavier’s Studs of the game
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »
As blatantly one sided of a game as I’ve ever been at in person, and it isn’t even remotely close. First half we’re on a run, Howard gets mauled to the ground resulting in a turnover, Xavier brings it down 4 on 5 and gets a touch foul and one. Macura hardly gets touched, goes flying from the free throw line to the scorer’s, technical foul. Howard gets cleanly blocked on a break, correctly allowed to play on, Hauser cleanly blocks Macura, Macura goes to the line for 2. That’s directly a 5 point swing plus 4 free throws in a 4 point game. And on top of that each call was also a momentum shifter.

Tough to win against a team like Xavier as it is. Tougher to do it with a one sided reffing affair. I applaud the guys for playing tough through it. They deserved better.

Oh and breath on Blueitt and it’s a foul, no matter how hard he’s trucking full speed into you.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 10:24:52 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »
Refs impact every game.  TAMU is spot on.  It's a loser's lament.

Pure revisionist BS. I said the same thing on Twitter when we had the lead so don't give me that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 10:23:56 PM »
Its not the reason MU lost but it sure as hell didnt help. The really bad calls also came at crap timing for MU.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »
The points Xavier got at the line from the T and from bad foul calls were the difference, therefore, the Refs swung the game in X's favor.  They were clearly biased.  It doesn't help that Rowsey is talking to them all the time - I think he pisses them off, but these guys were seriously working for Xavier.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 10:26:52 PM »
The ref called it from the side.    He saw two guys going up and assumed contact.     Anticipated the call.    And missed it.
Tower, this is what I told my friends

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 10:27:35 PM »
First half we’re on a run, Howard gets mauled to the ground resulting in a turnover, Xavier brings it down 4 on 5 and gets a touch foul and one.

5-point swing there and that's the game. Not including the technical, the Froling scissor takedown, etc etc etc.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 10:29:18 PM »
If Marquette won the game would it be okay to bring this up?

You can bring up whatever you want. It will be wrong regardless.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 10:30:48 PM »
Refs impact every game.  TAMU is spot on.  It's a loser's lament.

See I don't quite agree with this. Being on the wrong side of the officiating balance was a factor in this loss. It's fine to mention it. If we had gotten a few more calls we would have won. But we also would have won if we made a few more shots. Or if we grabbed a few more boards. Or had a few less turnovers. We can "control" the shots, rebounds, and turnovers. We can't control the officiating. Focusing in on officiating as the main or only cause for a loss is where fans get into trouble.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2017, 10:34:33 PM »
See I don't quite agree with this. Being on the wrong side of the officiating balance was a factor in this loss. It's fine to mention it. If we had gotten a few more calls we would have won. But we also would have won if we made a few more shots. Or if we grabbed a few more boards. Or had a few less turnovers. We can "control" the shots, rebounds, and turnovers. We can't control the officiating. Focusing in on officiating as the main or only cause for a loss is where fans get into trouble.

Right. I agree with this.  The concept that college refs are going to be consistent, much less perfect, is misguided. It’s prt of every game.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2017, 10:40:38 PM »

Right. I agree with this.  The concept that college refs are going to be consistent, much less perfect, is misguided. It’s prt of every game.

I don’t think the refs are bad every game.  I’d say they are good more than they are bad.   But tonight they were bad and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying that.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2017, 10:44:51 PM »
Refs weren't the reason MU lost.  Seriously quit the whining.  There were bad calls on both sides like every game.

This.

A couple bad calls - but show me any game where that doesn't happen.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2017, 10:46:26 PM »
The model for college officiating is broken. Until D1 contracts and they decide to make these guys FT with some oversight, it's gonna continue to suck most nights.

One of the many reasons why the NBA gets most of my viewing these days.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2017, 10:46:48 PM »
I don’t think the refs are bad every game.  I’d say they are good more than they are bad.   But tonight they were bad and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with saying that.

And quite often they're bad both ways. That wasn't the case tonight. Yes, we could have done more to overcome the reffing. But the reality is we did enough to overcome Xavier but not enough to overcome Xavier and a one-sided reffing screwjob.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2017, 10:49:06 PM »
And quite often they're bad both ways.

Also true.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2017, 11:08:10 PM »

Totally agree with this.

I thought the reffing was poor tonight. The foul on Hauser was brutal, and Bilas even said so in a tweet. I'd say we definitely had more bad calls against us than X did.

And yet if Markus plays his typical game, we win. If we make a few more FTs, we win. If we play better defense and don't commit some REALLY stupid fouls - giving them 3-point plays on sure layups when we had no chance to block shots - we win. If we get that loose ball down the stretch instead of giving up a 3 ... that was a huge factor in the loss. Etc, etc, etc.

In the end, of course it's OK for fans to whine about the reffing. It's what we do! I hope Wojo and the lads aren't doing the same, though. They had plenty of chances, and they need to take responsibility for what they can control.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2017, 11:47:05 PM »
We shoot from outside, they went inside.  That means FTs favor the guys that are aggressive. Some of the calls sucked, but the law of averages in how refs call games will go to those that aren't jump shooting.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2017, 11:56:07 PM »
I did not like the refs, but the reason we lost was Howard's shooting.

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 12:51:18 AM »
Refs weren't the reason for the loss.  It was the little plays that a Top 6 program makes and we don't. Hauser grabs that loose ball and prevents a 3, Sacar makes 2 free throws, TJ makes 2 free throws, Howard makes one of the two layups and HF not suckered into a T . . . We win! It doesn't even have to be all of those.  Pick a few!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 02:01:45 AM »
No they didn't and no we weren't.

To defend these refs is an abomination. Tim Clougherty should never ref another BE game.  Ever.

That said,  Wojo, please defend the paint. Your defensive scheme is a joke.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
Pure revisionist BS. I said the same thing on Twitter when we had the lead so don't give me that.

And you were wrong then as well.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2017, 08:14:27 AM »
To defend these refs is an abomination.

I'm not defending the refs.  The refs were what most college refs are.  Imperfect and inconsistent.  I've been bitching about the state of college reffing for years.  But when it comes down to it, it's simply something you have to deal with and not whine about.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »

I'm not defending the refs.  The refs were what most college refs are.  Imperfect and inconsistent.  I've been bitching about the state of college reffing for years.  But when it comes down to it, it's simply something you have to deal with and not whine about.

The worse college refereeing is (and you concede that it's awful) the more possible it is to be a (the?) deciding factor in a game. Each missed or incorrect call can go either way (50/50, a coin flip) but in a small sample (10?) it's not uncommon for them to fall 7-3 0r 8-2. So saying that referees can't be pivotal to a game's outcome (i.e., teams can't get hosed) is both illogical and provably false. Whether we got hosed last night is a subject that is debatable  - whether it happens in college basketball is not. So you may or may not be right on the former but you're dead wrong on the latter.

Your point that it won't change and that teams/fans have to "deal with it" is beside the point - everybody concedes that the outcome can't/won't be changed. That doesn't mean that any factor that contributed to the outcome isn't worthy of discussion.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »
The worse college refereeing is (and you concede that it's awful) the more possible it is to be a (the?) deciding factor in a game. Each missed or incorrect call can go either way (50/50, a coin flip) but in a small sample (10?) it's not uncommon for them to fall 7-3 0r 8-2. So saying that referees can't be pivotal to a game's outcome (i.e., teams can't get hosed) is both illogical and provably false. Whether we got hosed last night is a subject that is debatable  - whether it happens in college basketball is not. So you may or may not be right on the former but you're dead wrong on the latter.

Not really.  10 calls over the course of a 40 minute game are near meaningless.  So the smaller you make the sample size, the less relevant it becomes.

I just place proper importance on the impact of refereeing on the outcome of a game.  You don't.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
I'm not sure I'd go as far as to suggest the refs cost MU the game, but to say the officiating last night was typical or par for the course is patently absurd.
It was a terribly officiated game, even by college basketball standards. Not just some of the bad on-court calls, but the bizarre replay reviews, the repeated (and unnecessary) delays to lecture players, etc.
Poor job all around.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2017, 10:26:10 AM »
Here is my main beefs, mainly with Clougherty. Maybe the game wasn’t on yet on FS1. Harry gets in the game and grabs a rebound to start a fast break. The Xavier player on the ground has a hold of Harry’s leg for 10 seconds preventing his breakout.  It was a clear technical right in front of him.  No call. Blatant.  Yet X keeps pulling their chippy crap on Harry all night because he didn’t have the nads to make the right call.

He was late on the Markus breakaway/trip no call. Was late on the Sam block. Same guy.

Fast forward to Harry’s technical as he protects his teammate, and all of a sudden he brings out his T whistle.  That was the turning point.

Brutal, just brutal.  Low rated, hated in many major conferences.  Not a BE quality official.

Any one see Mack go at Driscoll for a good five minutes after the horn at half?  They swallowed their whistle on the last drive to the hoop at half. He was going hard after them.