Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's Talk Xavier  (Read 6182 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Let's Talk Xavier
« on: December 25, 2017, 09:26:28 PM »
#6 Xavier comes into the BC Wednesday to open conference play. The Musketeers are really good. Blueitt is a legit All-American candidate. Macura can be a dynamic scorer. Their front court of Kanter, Gates, Jones, and O'Mara provides depth, rebounding, and scoring. The weakest link is probably PG Quentin Goodin, though he is improved from last year. That said, he and Paul Scruggs are turnover-prone at the point.

What has impressed me when I've watched them is their ability to take over a game late. The games at Wisconsin and Northern Iowa were both close late and X surged to a pair of 10-point road wins.

Xavier plays fast and plays to their strengths. They are a great team shooting inside the arc. Really Blueitt and Gates are the only reliable deep threats. They are going to work the ball inside, especially on our defense. My expectation is that Xavier will try to trade twos for threes and hope we miss. By pounding it inside, they will also look to get to the line and get us into foul trouble.

The biggest solace for this game is looking at Xavier's one loss. They went into Arizona State against a team with a trio of dynamic shooters and got ran out of the building. Kodi Justice, Shannon Holder, and Tra Holder shot a combined 13/24 from three. Arizona State is eerily similar to us in that they play at a fast pace, have a dynamic offense and subpar defense, and count heavily on a perimeter trio.

It's a tired formula, but match their pace, make threes, and keep them off the line and we win the game. They are likely going to kill us inside, so we need to keep scoring in droves, especially as Xavier's pace and aggressiveness can allow them to put up points in a hurry and make big, quick runs that turn deficits into leads and leads into insurmountable leads.

Prediction: Xavier 88-87 Marquette I think we do better than some have done, but Xavier is tested in road games and just a bit better right now. I like our chances to beat Xavier this year, but think we will beat them at Cintas when we are coming off a 9-day break while they'll be playing their 3rd game in a week (including a road game at SHU).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Let's Talk Xavier
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 12:06:22 AM »
Like last year we will most likely need to defeat X at home to dance come March
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 05:55:29 AM »

So let's start now by beating them tomorrow.  Remember we have Sam.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 07:30:38 AM »
X scores in the paint. MU is not good at defending the paint. Can MU's bigs stay out of foul trouble? Theo is coming on, Harry gives MU five more fouls and X a different look. We know MU's shooters will score. What defensive scheme will Wojo throw at them to surprise Mack?

Defend. Rebound. Shoot. Not so sure it will be a barn burner with the break. Looking for a game in the 70s.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 09:08:17 AM »

I'm guessing the Big Boys (Harry, Theo, Matt & Sam) will be the difference in our win.  But the support of the usual suspects must be there. 

Now it begins "Needles and Pins."
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
#6 Xavier comes into the BC Wednesday to open conference play. The Musketeers are really good. Blueitt is a legit All-American candidate. Macura can be a dynamic scorer. Their front court of Kanter, Gates, Jones, and O'Mara provides depth, rebounding, and scoring. The weakest link is probably PG Quentin Goodin, though he is improved from last year. That said, he and Paul Scruggs are turnover-prone at the point.

What has impressed me when I've watched them is their ability to take over a game late. The games at Wisconsin and Northern Iowa were both close late and X surged to a pair of 10-point road wins.

Xavier plays fast and plays to their strengths. They are a great team shooting inside the arc. Really Blueitt and Gates are the only reliable deep threats. They are going to work the ball inside, especially on our defense. My expectation is that Xavier will try to trade twos for threes and hope we miss. By pounding it inside, they will also look to get to the line and get us into foul trouble.

The biggest solace for this game is looking at Xavier's one loss. They went into Arizona State against a team with a trio of dynamic shooters and got ran out of the building. Kodi Justice, Shannon Holder, and Tra Holder shot a combined 13/24 from three. Arizona State is eerily similar to us in that they play at a fast pace, have a dynamic offense and subpar defense, and count heavily on a perimeter trio.

It's a tired formula, but match their pace, make threes, and keep them off the line and we win the game. They are likely going to kill us inside, so we need to keep scoring in droves, especially as Xavier's pace and aggressiveness can allow them to put up points in a hurry and make big, quick runs that turn deficits into leads and leads into insurmountable leads.

Prediction: Xavier 88-87 Marquette I think we do better than some have done, but Xavier is tested in road games and just a bit better right now. I like our chances to beat Xavier this year, but think we will beat them at Cintas when we are coming off a 9-day break while they'll be playing their 3rd game in a week (including a road game at SHU).

The one thing you can say about Buzz's teams is that they were mentally tough and rarely gave up. I have not seen that with Wojo's teams yet. It's something that only comes with experience. Perhaps if we hang with them and pull this one out, it will show these guys, though young, they can play with anybody. I think we have the horses to compete. They just have to know they can win any game they play in.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 09:35:50 AM »
I think that we beat them in a similar way ASU did. Dont we play a very similar style?
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
The one thing you can say about Buzz's teams is that they were mentally tough and rarely gave up. I have not seen that with Wojo's teams yet.

I have not seen signs that Wojo's teams give up.

Down 17 to the defending national champs/No. 1 team in the country last season, rallied to win.

Either rallied to win or held off rallies against Creighton (twice), Seton Hall, etc.

Even this year's VCU, Vermont and Eastern Illinois wins showed a lot of fight, and they certainly didn't "give up" against Wichita State.

I'm pretty good at spotting teams that "give up." Maybe somebody can illustrate a couple of examples where it's happened the past couple of years, but I think those would be the exceptions.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »

As with most declarations of must wins the first game of conference season, this isn't true.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 10:03:51 AM »
As with most declarations of must wins the first game of conference season, this isn't true.

Was thinking the same thing.

If we lose to Xavier - and pretty much every forecast says we should - Knit will be one of those around these parts leading the parade to the window ledges.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
I think we matchup well with X but they are a better team than us. They have an incredible amount of depth. Jones, O'Mara, and Kanter a trio of really good post players who will be tough to stop on offense or on the boards. O'Mara and Jones are turnstiles defensively and love to foul. I would go at them early and often to try to get them in foul trouble and remove their offense from the table. Kanter is good on both sides of the floor.

Only three shooters on the squad but Gates and Blueitt are two of the best in the BEast. Can we afford to pack the paint with them roaming the perimeter?

I would use the Derrick Wilson defense on Goodin. Goodin's a better player overall but just as bad of a shot. Cheat his defender into the paint a little to help slow down the post players.

This is a winnable game, I marked it as a W at the beginning of the season, but X is a little better than I thought they would be. Still think we can pull this off.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

HammerScreen

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »

Exactly. It's going to be an extremely tough game. They're one of the most efficient offenses in the country and extremely deep. Interesting to see Macura cut his 3pta by almost 2 per game and become more efficient.

The biggest question defensively is where to we hide our guards? One can guard Goodin, but where do we put the other?

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 10:47:09 AM »
First off...Happy Boxing Day.  Second...we can't hide our guards and I just don't see us competing well in the paint.  Theo is coming along, but not there yet and Frolling is still an unknown commodity.  XU 80-72.  This is a fun team to watch and has a real shot at going .500 in BE play, but I am not expecting a win tomorrow.  Hope that I am proven wrong.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 11:04:16 AM »

I would take X in this game. I can see fouls becoming a problem. Students are gone so the atmosphere might be subdued. X is a solid team and we are still finding our way.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »
The one thing you can say about Buzz's teams is that they were mentally tough and rarely gave up. I have not seen that with Wojo's teams yet. It's something that only comes with experience. Perhaps if we hang with them and pull this one out, it will show these guys, though young, they can play with anybody. I think we have the horses to compete. They just have to know they can win any game they play in.

Seriously? Do you want to talk about any other ex coaches? So dumb

Not to mention MU82 pointed out the many instances of your POV being ridiculous.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 12:47:30 PM »
Things I'll be interested in as we meet each team are:
* do they defend the three line well
* can their bigs hit FTs (because FTs matta).

reason on the FTs is our bigs tend to commit fouls....and I don't even mind of they use all 15. I just want the other team to miss the FTs if it comes to a close game in the last 5 min.  If we can limit a good scoring team to 1pt  per trip in the closing minutes, we have a decent hope with our 3pt potential.

X sounds like we can shoot three's ... don't have any stats on that other than the ASU event.

Also curious...does X press well?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
I don't believe X guards the 3 ball particularly well.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2017, 12:53:53 PM »
I don't believe X guards the 3 ball particularly well.

I am never worried that MU's guards can not get there shots, they come off enough picks to get open.  My main concern is how you guard there guards.  There both
5 or 6 inches taller.  That will be a problem.  I can see Elliott or Cain getting some serous time to tomorrow just because they are long.  And can Hauser guard Bluett or
Macura.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2017, 01:01:43 PM »
I am never worried that MU's guards can not get there shots, they come off enough picks to get open.  My main concern is how you guard there guards.  There both
5 or 6 inches taller.  That will be a problem.  I can see Elliott or Cain getting some serous time to tomorrow just because they are long.  And can Hauser guard Bluett or
Macura.

I think Sacar will be on Bluiett.  Elliott is going to see quite a bit of time on Macura, I'd think. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2017, 01:28:09 PM »
Xavier opens at minus 4

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
I think the Big 3 are going to do well. Matt and Sacar will also give us quality minutes within the roles they play. Sacar will work hard on Bluett.  Theo and Froling give us 10 more big man fouls against Xaviers bevy of big men. Jamal and Greg will provide some length and cause some problems for Macura .  This should be a high scoring  fun game to watch. Hopefully we can get some decent attendance, although with no students that may be tough.

It will be close but I think we can come out of the gates with our first Big East win.   

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 01:39:43 PM »
Xavier opens at minus 4

My head and wallet says X. My heart MU.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 02:19:18 PM »
Things I'll be interested in as we meet each team are:
* do they defend the three line well
* can their bigs hit FTs (because FTs matta).

reason on the FTs is our bigs tend to commit fouls....and I don't even mind of they use all 15. I just want the other team to miss the FTs if it comes to a close game in the last 5 min.  If we can limit a good scoring team to 1pt  per trip in the closing minutes, we have a decent hope with our 3pt potential.

X sounds like we can shoot three's ... don't have any stats on that other than the ASU event.

Kanter 81% Jones61% O'Mara 90 %

Also curious...does X press well?

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 02:40:39 PM »
Thanks MuMark....looks like your text got stuck in the quote.
You were pointing out the FT% of the X big men it appears:

Kanter 81% Jones 61% O'Mara 90%

Which is good to know....so if it comes to it...Foul Jones!  :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »
MU goes 18/32 from 3; seals the 92-87 win by going 9/10 from the line; Scoopers nod in agreement that FTsmatta.

Markus 33, AR 25, Sam 20/10.

feedback