Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Freshmen comparisons  (Read 7614 times)

tower912

• All American
Freshmen comparisons
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:39:13 AM »
Who would you compare this year's freshmen to?

Greg Elliott:  More athletic Joe Chapman.    A do-everything guard.   Has some size, can defend.
Jamal Cain:   A skinnier Jamil Wilson.   Has the skills, needs to develop the body.    Picturing Cain's skill set at 220 instead of 190.   Yes, please.
Theo John:  I am racking my brain for a MU big to compare him to, and going back to Copa, I can't remember a freshman big with his size and strength.  Potenial Maurice Lucas if he puts in the work?  Taller Faisal Abraham?  The hardest to compare because of the lack of physically dominant MU bigs over the last 30 years. 
Eke:  Ooze.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Freshmen comparisons
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
Since before we landed him I have heard Theo compared to Faisal Abraham. I think it's a fair comparison
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 07:54:26 AM »
Theo can dunk the basketball, so that alone makes the comparison to Tom Copa unfair.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:57:03 AM »
I see a bit of Jamil and JaJuan in Jamal. So much athleticism, I can't wait to see what Todd Smith does with him over this upcoming off-season.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »
Theo can dunk the basketball, so that alone makes the comparison to Tom Copa unfair.

LOL.   I have vivid memories of Copa coming in for a huge dunk, throwing it off of the back rim, and it landing in press row.    But, he, too, was a 6'9, 250 lb kid from Minnesota.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 08:04:14 AM »
 ;)

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 08:35:02 AM »
Didn’t Copa get a cup of coffee?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
Yes.  San Antonio, IIRC.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 08:39:22 AM »
Didn’t Copa get a cup of coffee?

33 games and 132 minutes of coffee!

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Not a freshman, but Froling reminds me of Brad Lohaus with his inside out game.  Theo John reminds me of Faisal Abraham
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 09:23:05 AM »
I see a bit of Jamil and JaJuan in Jamal. So much athleticism, I can't wait to see what Todd Smith does with him over this upcoming off-season.

Awww, you're making me blush.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »
Theo reminds me much more of Faisal than Copa.  The chiseled build, the athletic blocks.  Better offensive game though.  And - although this isn't saying much - I imagine he's a better FT shooter...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:28:46 AM by GooooMarquette »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 09:33:44 AM »
Who would you compare this year's freshmen to?

Greg Elliott:  More athletic Joe Chapman.    A do-everything guard.   Has some size, can defend.
Jamal Cain:   A skinnier Jamil Wilson.   Has the skills, needs to develop the body.    Picturing Cain's skill set at 220 instead of 190.   Yes, please.
Theo John:  I am racking my brain for a MU big to compare him to, and going back to Copa, I can't remember a freshman big with his size and strength.  Potenial Maurice Lucas if he puts in the work?  Taller Faisal Abraham?  The hardest to compare because of the lack of physically dominant MU bigs over the last 30 years. 
Eke:  Ooze.

Greg Eliott is more athletic than Joe C, but not near the shooter.

Cain has some Jamil W in him, maybe (fingers crossed) a little Earl Tatum. Unlimited potential.

Theo could be better than Faisal (I'd be thrilled) but I don't remotely see Maurice Lucas.

For me, anyway, Eke is a big ? I wouldn't compare to anyone.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »

Agree completely.  I see more of the early Dameon Mason - lanky and athletic with lots of potential and so-so shooting.  The transfer and battle with migraines derailed his career, but he could have been very good.

Greg has a higher level of athleticism though....

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 09:51:22 AM »

Coach Nelson needs to break down Greg’s shot like he did JJ’s. His free throws last night were tough to watch. This kid could be dynamite by his junior year if he gets that in line. I am a bit surprised as he was a scorer in high school but there is a reason he slipped. Diamond in the rough. He could be special.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
GE=MCW (as a frosh) minus stealing laptops.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:41:24 AM by 94Warrior »

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »
Theo really looks like he is progressing very nicely, I think he has a big upside.   He has the body of Maurice Lucas but does not have the offensive game like him.  Lets
see if he develops that.  The other two are so skinny not sure who they compare to.  Maybe Earl Tatum is Jamils body wise but no where close to his talent.  He will need
a few more years to develop as he is a toothpick.  He might have trouble getting off the bench next year with the Hauser boys there.  He might get lost in the shuffle.
Elliott is just a player.  Not sure you can not recruit over him this spring.  Long and skinny, does not shoot the ball particularly well.  Bailey if any good could start next
year at the 2, or a grad transfer combo guard.  Elliott reminds me of Marcus Washington.  Not as good.  He would be a weaklink next year if he starts, needs 20 pounds
to his frame,  not sure that can happen.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »
Yes.  San Antonio, IIRC.

Tom is a good dude. Saved my life in St. Louis once.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »
Tom is a good dude. Saved my life in St. Louis once.

Crazy... sounds like a story there...

mayfairskatingrink

• Starter
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 11:48:16 AM »
Coach Nelson needs to break down Greg’s shot like he did JJ’s. His free throws last night were tough to watch. This kid could be dynamite by his junior year if he gets that in line. I am a bit surprised as he was a scorer in high school but there is a reason he slipped. Diamond in the rough. He could be special.

Why wouldn't his shot be broken down already?  Why waste freshman year with a shot as poor as his is?

That should have begun the first day of practice.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »
Why wouldn't his shot be broken down already?  Why waste freshman year with a shot as poor as his is?

I'm sure it has been.  He's contributing how they want him to at this point.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 11:56:27 AM »

Typically, they work on those kind of major changes in the off season with thousands of reps. The first year is one of acclimation to school and college basketball.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »

Air balled a three yesterday.  Missed 2 out of 3 free throws and did not look good, looked nervous.  He must have been a volume shooter in high school.  Long way to
go, right now just a player.  Will have to grow in a year as he has a chance to start next year.  As a lot to work on but needs to spend a year in the
weight room and having protein shakes like 10 times a day.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 12:02:16 PM »
Elliott reminds me of a young Michael Wilson.

Similar build, around 6-4 175 with long arms.

When paired with Worthen, a young Wilson averaged about 6-8 points a game. Usually the 5th scoring option on offense.

When paired with Rivers his last two years, Wilson handled the ball a bit more and built up some decent assist numbers.  About 4 rebounds and 4 assists per game and scoring increased to 12 and then 16 his senior year. Not a great outside shooter, but a very effective shooter making over 50% of his shots his last two years.

Plus many remember he brought down the rim against Memphis.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
Admittedly, every player's "Best-case" is Dwyane Wade and every player's "Worst-case" is Greg Clausen so maybe Ceiling/Floor would have been better, but you get where I'm going. By their senior year, this is where I could see the current frosh.

Greg Elliott
Best-case: Jerel McNeal
Worst-case: Dameon Mason

Theo John
Best-case: Angel Delgado*
Worst-case: Chris Otule

Jamal Cain
Best-case: Jimmy Butler
Worst-case: Mike Bargen

Ike Eke
Best-case: Ousmane Barro
Worst-case: Lawrence Blackledge

* - Marquette just hasn't had a guy with Theo's build and athleticism so I was forced to go intraconference instead.

feedback