[June 18, 2024, 09:06:03 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by Herman Cain
[June 18, 2024, 06:55:14 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 18, 2024, 05:53:38 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Uncle Rico
[June 18, 2024, 02:52:17 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jay Bilas Shows Howard (and Rowsey) Some Love  (Read 5653 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Jay Bilas Shows Howard (and Rowsey) Some Love
« on: December 20, 2017, 09:37:57 AM »
I highlighted MU mentions

The absolute best things I've seen so far this season
By Jay Bilas
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21814971/jay-bilas-best-thing-seen-far-season

Best shooting team: Virginia Tech Hokies
The Hokies hit more than 10 3-point field goals per game and spread the floor very effectively. Virginia Tech complements its shooters with terrific cutting and attacking of the paint and rim. It is one thing to make perimeter shots (the Hokies shoot better than 46 percent from deep), but Virginia Tech uses the whole floor, shooting 55 percent from the field to lead the nation. Runners-up: Marquette, Arizona State, Kansas, Oklahoma.

Best shooter: Markus Howard, Marquette Golden Eagles
You know you have a good shooting team when, in considering the nation's best shooter, you are not sure whether the nation's best shooter is the best shooter on his own team. It is a close call between Howard and Andrew Rowsey. Howard is small but very quick and he gets his shot off quickly. He has deep range and is automatic when left open. Runners-up: Rowsey, Marquette; Fletcher Magee, Wofford; DJ Hogg, Texas A&M

tower912

• All American
Re: Jay Bilas Shows Howard (and Rowsey) Some Love
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 10:10:12 AM »
So Buzz has his team driving, dishing, repeating until somebody gets a wide open 3 or a lay up again.     I loved that offense.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
I never thought I’d see a Buzz team that he recruited as being a top shooting team.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »
I never thought I’d see a Buzz team that he recruited as being a top shooting team.

Outside of Lazar and Cubillian both of whom he still coached for 3yrs didn’t he recruit everybody on the 09-10 team?
Maigh Eo for Sam

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
Outside of Lazar and Cubillian both of whom he still coached for 3yrs didn’t he recruit everybody on the 09-10 team?

Acker was on that team too. I guess I think of those 3 as the shooters plus DJO. Butler was a slasher and I don’t remember Buycks being a big deep threat in that year.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 10:37:12 AM »
Acker was on that team too. I guess I think of those 3 as the shooters plus DJO. Butler was a slasher and I don’t remember Buycks being a big deep threat in that year.

Yeah, Acker transferred after the 05-06 season, sitting out 06-07.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 10:34:18 PM »
Funny thing is ... so far this season, neither Howard nor Rowsey is our best 3-point shooter!

Sam: .456
AR: .427
Markus: .398
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 10:56:42 PM »
This season is about Rowsey. Not sure if coming to MU was about Pro shot or just wanted a higher level experience...but whatever it is, he is our senior. He will define our season. Howard may have big numbers, press, etc. but MU basketball 17-18 will be defined by him.

Regional final, down by 2, MU with the ball, who takes and makes the shot?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »
This season is about Rowsey. Not sure if coming to MU was about Pro shot or just wanted a higher level experience...but whatever it is, he is our senior. He will define our season. Howard may have big numbers, press, etc. but MU basketball 17-18 will be defined by him.

We have 3 options in that scenario and it really depends on the look.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 11:41:04 PM »

Heldt on the block?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 12:21:47 AM »

Assuming it's a clean look - Howard.  And that's not selling Rowsey or Hauser short.

Not the answer you wanted?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 01:20:41 AM »

...led by Marquette commit Ahmed Hill. 37/71 for 52.1%. Came in as a career 38% guy.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 02:19:33 AM »
Assuming it's a clean look - Howard.  And that's not selling Rowsey or Hauser short.

Not the answer you wanted?

If this has been discussed before, mea culpa...but did anyone sit and ponder incredulously, as did i, over the two step-back 3's Markus nailed late in the shot clock at Bucky? I mean he literally created like ten feet of shot-space in one quick backstep move...each time.  I found myself pausing and rewinding the play to see if he somehow "teleported" to cover such amazing ground.

He doesn't need a clean look....but he sure creates his own.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

Slim

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
I highlighted MU mentions

The absolute best things I've seen so far this season
By Jay Bilas
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21814971/jay-bilas-best-thing-seen-far-season

Best shooting team: Virginia Tech Hokies
The Hokies hit more than 10 3-point field goals per game and spread the floor very effectively. Virginia Tech complements its shooters with terrific cutting and attacking of the paint and rim. It is one thing to make perimeter shots (the Hokies shoot better than 46 percent from deep), but Virginia Tech uses the whole floor, shooting 55 percent from the field to lead the nation. Runners-up: Marquette, Arizona State, Kansas, Oklahoma.

Best shooter: Markus Howard, Marquette Golden Eagles
You know you have a good shooting team when, in considering the nation's best shooter, you are not sure whether the nation's best shooter is the best shooter on his own team. It is a close call between Howard and Andrew Rowsey. Howard is small but very quick and he gets his shot off quickly. He has deep range and is automatic when left open. Runners-up: Rowsey, Marquette; Fletcher Magee, Wofford; DJ Hogg, Texas A&M

Did anyone catch the Fletcher Magee show last night in Woffords victory over UNC? Doesn’t need space. He seemed better with a hand in his face. Good call by Bolan.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 09:22:04 AM »

Howard floater to tie.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 09:22:50 AM »
Va Tech has played a terrible non conference schedule, similar to what Georgetown has done.  Their SOS right now is #262.

There two best wins are against #90 RPI Washington and #151 Radford.

For sure it is a high powered offense, but we will see how it does in the ACC.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2017, 09:25:39 AM »
...led by Marquette commit Ahmed Hill. 37/71 for 52.1%. Came in as a career 38% guy.

Yep, would have looked nice at the wing on this roster... I can't even imagine the shooting. My head is nearly exploding

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2017, 09:47:39 AM »
If this has been discussed before, mea culpa...but did anyone sit and ponder incredulously, as did i, over the two step-back 3's Markus nailed late in the shot clock at Bucky? I mean he literally created like ten feet of shot-space in one quick backstep move...each time.  I found myself pausing and rewinding the play to see if he somehow "teleported" to cover such amazing ground.

He doesn't need a clean look....but he sure creates his own.
Those are not good shots.  Unless they go in.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »

Impossible. Buzz doesn't develop HS kids.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2017, 10:56:55 AM »
Howard floater to tie.

Though I think Rowsey would take the shot...this would be very nice...I also like the Heldt on the block layup. Would go crazy if that happened.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2017, 12:16:45 PM »
Take da under with Markus shootin’ 60%, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2017, 03:14:24 PM »
Bilas has always been a pretty good MU booster.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »
Bilas has always been a pretty good MU booster.

Especially since Wojo came on board.  I think the Bilas-boost has been a nice unintended side effect of hiring a Duke alum/coach to run our program.  He was great as the host of the Centennial Celebration over the summer.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 10:19:20 PM »
Funny thing is ... so far this season, neither Howard nor Rowsey is our best 3-point shooter!

Sam: .456
AR: .427
Markus: .398

Bilas might be correct that Howard and Rowsey are two of the five best shooters in the country.  And we have a third guy (Sam) with better stats!  Oh, we now have a stretch four (Harry) that has a green light.

MU's defense ... 12 to 15 threes and 92 points on offense.  nuff said