[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Badger Hate Week  (Read 86582 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Badger Hate Week
« Reply #350 on: December 07, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
If you grew up or live in a place that doesn't have its own pro team, and have been a fan of one team consistently,  you can say "we".  My Nashville brother says "we" when he talks about the Cincinnati Reds, whom he has been following since the early 70's, and I have no problem with that.

If you are a San Francisco native and suddenly start referring to the Rams as "we", then absolutely not.

As a kid growing up in Conn., I was a Dolphins fan because they won a lot -- yes, I was a bigly frontrunner. Stayed a Dolphins fan (some might say fanatic) until I was in my mid-20s, when my chosen profession made it (in my eyes anyway) unacceptable to root for a pro team. Nevertheless, I still admired the skill and knowledge of Don Shula and Dan Marino well into the 1990s. Once Shula was pushed out, I officially couldn't give a rat's rump about the Dolphins (and that's still true today).

I rooted for no NFL team until 2010, when we moved to Charlotte. I figured I'm gonna live here for awhile, so I might as well pull for our local squad. That awful '10 team, led by lame-duck coach John Fox and the horrific Jimmy Clausen, went 2-14, but I still watched the games and wished they'd do better. Then started the Cam era, and a reasonable amount of success followed, and I got into the team more and more. I now consider myself to be a "big Panthers fan," who rejoices in the good times and suffers through the bad (like our current 4-game skid).

And yes, when talking about my boys, I often do say "we."

Does that pass the Chickadee We Test, or am I not allowed?

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #351 on: December 07, 2018, 08:51:13 AM »
Why? I remember him as being a very hard worker who would take a charge and usually play better than his perceived ability.

I fully allow that I might be misremembering, however, since I didn't see all that many F%cky games.

I do remember Bilas -- whom I do like -- saying about 100 times that Gasser would be a productive NBA player. Even the good analysts can't get 'em all right.

Because he wasn't really an attack off the dribble PG, nor was he a switchable type.  But maybe I'm wrong.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2018, 08:52:01 AM »
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #353 on: December 07, 2018, 08:53:53 AM »

The Popcorn Skunk is going down!
Have some patience, FFS.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #354 on: December 07, 2018, 08:54:26 AM »
I think a lot of the vitriol if you will from our side is kind of a This is Sparta thing....there are so many of them and so few of us. Plus a sizable chunk of their many are pretty ignorant about basketball so we look down on them.

I think there's a level of the few vs the many that gets MU fans more into the game, but I'm guessing the fact that it comes right on the tail end of football season is the biggest difference maker. A lot of UW fans are still in football mode and thinking about upcoming bowl games rather than basketball. Since early season basketball is mostly cupcakes and directional state schools, I know a lot of fans who don't really pay attention until conference play.

There's also something to be said about the conference continuity they've had compared to us. Our schedules have changed a lot over the years, and the one mainstay has been UW. Rivalries get built up through the games, and if you only have one team on your schedule you've played year in and year out, then your focus become more narrow. Since UW has been in the Big Ten for so long (100+ years, right?), their schedules have been more consistent. Fans remember a ton of games against each of their conference opponents that can add fuel to the rivalry. I've got to think that makes a big difference in the perspective of the two fanbases.

It's also another great reason to try to get ND back on the schedule. I just love to hate the Domers.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #355 on: December 07, 2018, 08:57:05 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #356 on: December 07, 2018, 09:50:59 AM »
#NoRedForAnyone
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

muguru

• All American
« Reply #357 on: December 07, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »
Did anyone here watch the Iowa-Iowa State game last night?? THAT'S exactly how a rivalry game should be, and how I so wish the MU-UW game was...it was incredibly chippy, lots of pushing and shoving, officials had to step in several times. Even a fracas at the end that caused Prohm(Iowa State's Coach), to say something to the Iowa players and basically had to be restrained. Can not forget that a squirmish broke out before the game as well...and you could just see the emotion and anger on every player's face when they made a play, they'd shoot a look or a glare, and you could see them saying "F you" in their heads.

But nope, instead we get the softest "rivalry" game around. IT NEEDS SOME HEAT. So sad that it is the way it is.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #358 on: December 07, 2018, 10:48:03 AM »
Did anyone here watch the Iowa-Iowa State game last night?? THAT'S exactly how a rivalry game should be, and how I so wish the MU-UW game was...it was incredibly chippy, lots of pushing and shoving, officials had to step in several times. Even a fracas at the end that caused Prohm(Iowa State's Coach), to say something to the Iowa players and basically had to be restrained. Can not forget that a squirmish broke out before the game as well...and you could just see the emotion and anger on every player's face when they made a play, they'd shoot a look or a glare, and you could see them saying "F you" in their heads.

But nope, instead we get the softest "rivalry" game around. IT NEEDS SOME HEAT. So sad that it is the way it is.

Why should a rivalry game be like that? It's 2 schools that continue to recycle out players and unless you're a very good freshman, you probably only play the other team 3 times in your entire career. With the increased national recruiting for both schools, lots of these guys have never played against each other.

It was different in the past when both schools were loaded with in state guys.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #359 on: December 07, 2018, 10:50:59 AM »
Why should a rivalry game be like that? It's 2 schools that continue to recycle out players and unless you're a very good freshman, you probably only play the other team 3 times in your entire career. With the increased national recruiting for both schools, lots of these guys have never played against each other.

It was different in the past when both schools were loaded with in state guys.

Yep, when Wojo was asked to compare it to Duke UNC, he said that the main difference is that you get one shot at UW, unlike the up to 3 times a year that in conference rivals can play.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #360 on: December 07, 2018, 11:01:38 AM »

Ya we should totally bring shivs and crap to spice up the rivalry, maybe go for happs knees and ruin his entire career. This is how a rivalry should be, none of this sportsmanship crap.

Wahoo85

• Walk-On
« Reply #361 on: December 07, 2018, 11:03:11 AM »
MU students definitely need to turn up the heat for this game and Scoop has offered many good suggestions.  Targeting Davison in particular should be like shooting fish in a barrel .  Some of the good ideas on here:

Doing the flop instead of the wave
Ring around the rosy and falling down when Davison is on the line
Falling down every time Davison's name is mentioned
Reference notable Soccer flops
Oscar statue for best performance in a flop

Point being, it is a great opportunity for the students to make a statement in a big rival game on national TV.  Don't let us down.

Arcane Olympic Track and Field Trivia:  "Has anyone ever seen Dick Fosbury and Brad Davison in the same room together?"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #362 on: December 07, 2018, 11:48:04 AM »
MU students definitely need to turn up the heat for this game and Scoop has offered many good suggestions.  Targeting Davison in particular should be like shooting fish in a barrel .  Some of the good ideas on here:

Doing the flop instead of the wave
Ring around the rosy and falling down when Davison is on the line
Falling down every time Davison's name is mentioned
Reference notable Soccer flops
Oscar statue for best performance in a flop

Point being, it is a great opportunity for the students to make a statement in a big rival game on national TV.  Don't let us down.

Arcane Olympic Track and Field Trivia:  "Has anyone ever seen Dick Fosbury and Brad Davison in the same room together?"

Going on a limb here - none of this is going to happen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #363 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:02 AM »

Why is this rivalry "soft"?

Maybe fans don't brawl from opening tip to final horn, and maybe the players don't try to maim each other, but I seem to recall Henry & Co. going pretty nuts after the '15 upset at Madison, and wasn't it against UW that Markus gave the throat-slash sign?

So no, it isn't UNC-Duke ... but nothing is. And it's not the old MU-ND rivalry. But I don't think there's any love lost between the programs, the players or the fans.

An example of a "soft" rivalry might be MU-DePaul, because they have sucked for so long and their fans have given up hope.

Stop trying to find the negative in everything and you might actually enjoy life a little more, even if you can't find some old-fashioned girl to darn your socks and churn your butter. (So to speak.)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #364 on: December 07, 2018, 12:22:05 PM »
As a kid growing up in Conn., I was a Dolphins fan because they won a lot -- yes, I was a bigly frontrunner. Stayed a Dolphins fan (some might say fanatic) until I was in my mid-20s, when my chosen profession made it (in my eyes anyway) unacceptable to root for a pro team. Nevertheless, I still admired the skill and knowledge of Don Shula and Dan Marino well into the 1990s. Once Shula was pushed out, I officially couldn't give a rat's rump about the Dolphins (and that's still true today).

I rooted for no NFL team until 2010, when we moved to Charlotte. I figured I'm gonna live here for awhile, so I might as well pull for our local squad. That awful '10 team, led by lame-duck coach John Fox and the horrific Jimmy Clausen, went 2-14, but I still watched the games and wished they'd do better. Then started the Cam era, and a reasonable amount of success followed, and I got into the team more and more. I now consider myself to be a "big Panthers fan," who rejoices in the good times and suffers through the bad (like our current 4-game skid).

Nothing like putting rules on how people can be fans.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #365 on: December 07, 2018, 12:26:58 PM »

You're good.

And you are "allowed" to do whatever you want.  My criteria is my own. Everyone else is free to have a different opinion.

Sort of like other folks' rules about what color is appropriate to wear to a game.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #366 on: December 07, 2018, 12:33:41 PM »
Eye'm down wit "Ring Around da Rosie," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #367 on: December 07, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »
As to this whole 'we' discussion......

I have to be a dedicated fan, essentially lifelong, or a fully committed local fan to personally use 'we'. In my case that's MU, Packers, and Brewers.  I don't use it for the Bucks because I've been a pretty solid Bulls fan since the Jordan era although I do primarily follow the Bucks again for obvious reasons.  And I am in the midst of a hockey transition right now. Go Knights! I still can't say 'we' because of my wish for the Hawks to reemerge. Yeah, I know. Not happening.

And for the record, I understand that Sand Knit doesn't care.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #368 on: December 07, 2018, 06:03:05 PM »
For better or worse, Gasser is about as far away from a Buzz player as you can get.

Anyway, he went from being a preferred walk-on at UW, to a scholarship player to a starter on some damn good teams.
But keep in mind, double agent, that he couldn't make Marquette's roster.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #369 on: December 07, 2018, 07:28:17 PM »
But keep in mind, double agent, that he couldn't make Marquette's roster.

WTF are you talking about?

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #370 on: December 07, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »

No. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

source?

• All American
« Reply #371 on: December 07, 2018, 09:41:40 PM »
My opinion, not that anyone is asking, is that an alum can always say "we". For a non-alum I only respect your "we" if it is consistent through good and bad years. Pro sports teams have no loyalty so say "we" if you want, but they'll probably leave you in the end.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #372 on: December 07, 2018, 10:17:49 PM »
No....We implies you play for the team, or in somehow have a management/ownership stake in it. As a fan, "we" should never be used. It's "they" or "MU" or whoever you are referencing.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Milkshakes

• All American
« Reply #373 on: December 07, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »
As far as the “we” thing goes. I think it is impportant to be careful. We are just fans. None the less, the there are times when I have to use it for MU basketball and Cubs baseball. I am not delusional. I know I have nothing to do with either.  However, I live and breath both for large portions of the year and as a fan I think I am part of the royal “we” for both.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #374 on: December 07, 2018, 10:23:40 PM »
No....We implies you play for the team, or in somehow have a management/ownership stake in it. As a fan, "we" should never be used. It's "they" or "MU" or whoever you are referencing.

Well, as we have been saying in the chant for decades and decades, "We are Marquette."

And I am part of "we."

But since you seem to rag on the Warriors most of the time, anyway, you can call our alma mater's basketball team whatever you want.