Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Question JUCO  (Read 9170 times)

schuesst

• Walk-On
Question JUCO
« on: December 01, 2017, 10:06:02 AM »
Recruiting question.    Does MU now have a policy against recruiting Juco's?   MU got Lackey, Crowder, Butler and many others from Juco.  I realize that for this site of very knowledgeable people, this is a dumb question, which has no doubt been answered a bunch of times before.
  But any insights would be appreciated.

skianth16

• All American
Re: Question JUCO
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »
I would imagine that the powers that be would prefer to avoid JUCO guys for a little while, or at the very least would prefer to not rely on them as heavily as we did in the Buzz era. I get the impression that part of choosing Wojo was the image he would convey and the assumption that he would run a program that was viewed as being less rough around the edges. Given our need at PG for next year, a good JUCO guy might be a nice addition, but I would bet more on targeting a grad transfer than JUCO.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
I think JUCOs would be welcome so long as they qualify, and that their credits can transfer.  Most JUCO kids major in PhyEd, which doesn't transfer to MU. 

But if the right situation came along, I don't think the admin would have a problem with it.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 10:21:26 AM »
I would imagine that the powers that be would prefer to avoid JUCO guys for a little while, or at the very least would prefer to not rely on them as heavily as we did in the Buzz era. I get the impression that part of choosing Wojo was the image he would convey and the assumption that he would run a program that was viewed as being less rough around the edges. Given our need at PG for next year, a good JUCO guy might be a nice addition, but I would bet more on targeting a grad transfer than JUCO.

This--Wojo is a Grad transfer guy, and if he has been asked by admin to be that guy, I don't think he has a problem. I don't think that this staff has the ties to get their feet into the juco ranks--with players or coaches.

I personally think that the view from the admin (if true) is short sighted.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 10:28:57 AM »
I think Jae and Jimmy prove JUCOs can be a good thing. When they come up in conversation, I say those are Marquette guys. And I think they identify with MU as well.

Of course I'm picking probably the two most successful NBA MU JUCOs as examples...maybe only the good ones stick in my mind.

And I agree that Wojo doesn't seem anything like the JUCO wheeler dealer Buzz was. He's got to be himself.  But if its true our coaching staff has minimal knowledge or contact with those sources, I think thats something they need to work on.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
I also thought that the admin has put in a rule that a player had to have enough eligibility to be able to graduate. So someone like jae crowder would no longer be an option. (which I don't agree with, but hey the admins didn't as me :) )

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 10:35:38 AM »
Juco class is pretty well picked over this year.  It was already weak for PG's, plus we have 5 players that will be juniors next year.  Most Juco's are 2 year kids so adding one this year would lead to an even more imbalanced roster.

Wojo did recruit Darral Willis, may have even had an official visit.  Willis is averaging 11.5 ppg and 7.0 rpg for Wichita St.  So I don't think Juco's are off the table.  It just has to be the right fit.  There are far more Trend Blackledge's than Jimmy Butler's so it's not as simple as "Just recruit more Jucos."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
There is no ban against JUCOs.  There are tighter guidelines than before.  Furthermore I don't think Wojo and his staff have many JUCO connections. 

Honestly we are a little biased because of the success that Buzz had here, but JUCOs usually don't have the track record that they did here under Buzz.  And I don't have a problem with Wojo's recruiting as it stands.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
I think Jae and Jimmy prove JUCOs can be a good thing. When they come up in conversation, I say those are Marquette guys. And I think they identify with MU as well.

Of course I'm picking probably the two most successful NBA MU JUCOs as examples...maybe only the good ones stick in my mind.

And I agree that Wojo doesn't seem anything like the JUCO wheeler dealer Buzz was. He's got to be himself.  But if its true our coaching staff has minimal knowledge or contact with those sources, I think thats something they need to work on.

DJO and Buycks probably do as well. Not so sure Fulce does, never really see him doing twitter or instagram shoutouts to MUBB like the other guys
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
DJO and Buycks probably do as well. Not so sure Fulce does, never really see him doing twitter or instagram shoutouts to MUBB like the other guys

Probably because he is on Buzz's staff at VT.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 10:51:14 AM »
Probably because he is on Buzz's staff at VT.

Which gives more credo to what I said. Just because he’s working somewhere doesn’t mean he can’t show love for his alma mater, I’m sure wojo has a duke pennant in his office.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »
Which gives more credo to what I said. Just because he’s working somewhere doesn’t mean he can’t show love for his alma mater, I’m sure wojo has a duke pennant in his office.

You don't work on another coaching staff and do public shout outs for another school.  Has Wojo ever done something like that for Duke?  It's much different than hanging personal stuff in the office.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 11:14:56 AM »
You don't work on another coaching staff and do public shout outs for another school.  Has Wojo ever done something like that for Duke?  It's much different than hanging personal stuff in the office.

I don’t know if he has or not, don’t really do twitter anymore and don’t know if wojo has instagram. I offered my opinion that 4/5 of our buzz jucos identify as MU guys you aren’t going to suddenly change my mind unless you get Fulce on the phone.

Quite frankly this is a strange thing to pick a fight about.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 11:24:34 AM »
I'm not picking a fight.  I am saying there is a reason why Fulce isn't publicly identifying as a Marquette guy.  If you choose not to accept my reasoning, well that's fine.  But I have been working with coaches for 30 years and its something they simply don't do. 

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 11:30:09 AM »

Quite frankly this is a strange thing to pick a fight about.

Seriously? He simply pointed out that he's on staff at VT. Then you double down on your dumb comment with something dumber. If you take a new job with a competing company I don't think you'd promote the old company to the masses. Good Grief.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
Seriously? He simply pointed out that he's on staff at VT. Then you double down on your dumb comment with something dumber. If you take a new job with a competing company I don't think you'd promote the old company to the masses. Good Grief.

So you go straight to insulting people rather than offering anything insightful. Very classy, you must a blast to talk to. And comparing it to companies is, as you would put it, dumb. One is a place you went to school etc the other is a place of employment that’d just as soon fire you as you’d leave them.

I'm not picking a fight.  I am saying there is a reason why Fulce isn't publicly identifying as a Marquette guy.  If you choose not to accept my reasoning, well that's fine.  But I have been working with coaches for 30 years and its something they simply don't do. 

Fair enough, I suppose you would have more intell in the matter. I guess I’d need to do a bit more research with other coaches before I tried to form an opinion.

My thought process was formed from grad school interviews I’ve done where once the lady went to Creighton and we were talking Big East and jesuits etc despite the school not being Creighton. I suppose it would be different in sports.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 11:53:12 AM »
A few years ago, Fulce was working at MU in some capacity. I remember him coming out before a game with a mic to get the students going. Also, a quick glance at Fulce's Twitter feed shows that he shared a link of Buzz's dance after MU's NCAAT win and linked to a story about Jimmy Butler. No, it's not a direct shout out to MU, but he's not ignoring MU altogether.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 11:55:40 AM »
A few years ago, Fulce was working at MU in some capacity. I remember him coming out before a game with a mic to get the students going. Also, a quick glance at Fulce's Twitter feed shows that he shared a link of Buzz's dance after MU's NCAAT win and linked to a story about Jimmy Butler. No, it's not a direct shout out to MU, but he's not ignoring MU altogether.

Clearly I’ve gotta hop back on the twitter before opening my mouth.
Maigh Eo for Sam

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
Bags, folks in academics have separate closets at home for all their Spirit wear.  We have a close friend who spent many years in senior administration at Butler.  His MU gear only came out on special occasions and when no Butler folks were around.  Don't be surprised about Joe's lack of public statements.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 11:58:24 AM »
Tanned Tommy had no qualms about pumping the F4 MU reunion when at I4, aina?  Even issued a press release.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
Tanned Tommy had no qualms about pumping the F4 MU reunion when at I4, aina?  Even issued a press release.

https://youtu.be/ANsZfk5G8vA?t=1m7s

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 02:43:17 PM »
Not recruiting jucos bc they might not be on track to graduate but signing Henry Ellenson seems very hypocritical to me.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
Not recruiting jucos bc they might not be on track to graduate but signing Henry Ellenson seems very hypocritical to me.

Not sure why.  Ellenson had the ability to graduate within the time he was eligible.   

Many Jucos, mostly non-qualifiers, do not.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:22 PM »

Not at all. Henry Ellenson chose not to graduate but could have. Some JUCOs don't even have the option to graduate before their eligibility runs out. Students choose not to graduate for all sorts of reasons. That's not on the school. Taking a student who has no chance of graduating is on the school.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
You guys have spoken well to the issue.  MU went to a 'policy' of only accepting players that could meet the academic requirements for graduation concurrent with the expiry of their athletic scholarship.  Now of course there's wiggle room.  Plenty of guys graduate in summer, for example.  And actual graduation wasn't even required.  The Jae situation is a perfect example of what wasn't allowed going forward.  There was a belief that the prior policy (really, there wasn't one) had the potential to 'use' student athletes.