[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498597 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #4050 on: October 13, 2018, 08:46:59 AM »
Dave Roberts on the CI call:

“Even looking at it - from what I heard - you really couldn’t tell.”

When are managers going to stop lying/complaining about calls that don’t go their way, even when replay shows, in this case conclusively, that the call was correct?  The entire world saw Grandal’s glove move.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4051 on: October 13, 2018, 09:15:23 AM »
Guess they thought this was a pretty big game. Guess you disagree.

Guess you are wrong.   Of course it was big game.  He cannot be used today after a career high in pitches.  He came in with a 5-1 lead, is an amazing weapon.  I hope it works out.  I'm sure Counsell was hoping to not have to use both Knebel (22 pitches) and Jeffress, but it almost got away from them.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4052 on: October 13, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
Guess you are wrong.   Of course it was big game.  He cannot be used today after a career high in pitches.  He came in with a 5-1 lead, is an amazing weapon.  I hope it works out.  I'm sure Counsell was hoping to not have to use both Knebel (22 pitches) and Jeffress, but it almost got away from them.

A Cubs fan hoping it works out for the Brewers. Against the Dodgers. Hmm.

It was obviously the right move.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4053 on: October 13, 2018, 10:34:16 AM »
My biggest worry about Game 1 was our bullpen would be a bit rusty and it would cost us. That was big to get the win tonight. Other than the triple, it didn’t seem like anyone got hit hard. Jeffress had some bad luck. I’m glad we pitched our guys to shake some rust off and still come out with the win. They had a bunch of rest and Sunday is an off day.

I think this is a big ol' helping of regression for Jeffress

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4054 on: October 13, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »

In this series, yes.  For the same reason that many of us cheer for Xavier or Villanova in non-conference games.  There are those among us that cheer for Wisconsin football, or Wisconsin basketball when MU is not playing them.  Notre Dame.

If the Dodgers win and they play the Red Sox, my rooting interest will be with the Dodgers.  If the Dodgers win and they play the Astros, I go with the Astros. 

How do you know it was the right move when today's game hasn't been played yet?  Sometimes you win the battle and lose the war.
— Plato

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4055 on: October 13, 2018, 11:03:07 AM »
Why wouldn’t they “let” him pitch 3 innings?

Thank God they DID “let” him pitch 3 innings. Crew loses if he only goes 2.

He rarely pitches just 1 inning and rarely pitches back to back nights. Travel day Sunday. He’s getting 2 days of rest. Ride him as long as you can.

You have no idea the Crew loses if he only goes 2 unless you can predict the future or outcomes that have never happened.  Your opinion does not equate to factual outcomes.  We will never know.
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4056 on: October 13, 2018, 11:11:33 AM »
I think this is a big ol' helping of regression for Jeffress

The one thing he has traditionally lacked has been consistency. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4057 on: October 13, 2018, 11:22:00 AM »

I think there are way more Cubs fans cheering for the Brewers than you think. I've been cheering for them since the second the Cubs got bounced.

Unless that was a Chicos shot, if so carry on.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4058 on: October 13, 2018, 11:25:12 AM »
They could even bring in Hader in to face a batter or two.  He has had plenty of rest and will have an off day Sunday.

Look it may not work due to the potency of LA's line-up, but that doesn't mean that Counsell over-managed his bullpen.  That was the essence of the studio's criticism.

Counsell has already said Hader is burned for today, will not pitch at all.
— Plato

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4059 on: October 13, 2018, 11:29:05 AM »
Counsell has already said Hader is burned for today, will not pitch at all.

OK didn't see that.  It doesn't really matter to my point however.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4060 on: October 13, 2018, 12:31:55 PM »
I think there are way more Cubs fans cheering for the Brewers than you think. I've been cheering for them since the second the Cubs got bounced.

Unless that was a Chicos shot, if so carry on.

;)

You have no idea the Crew loses if he only goes 2 unless you can predict the future or outcomes that have never happened.  Your opinion does not equate to factual outcomes.  We will never know.

I guess you missed the last 2 innings of the game. The Crew loses game 1 after going up 6-1 having had Kershaw on the bump of Hader doesn’t pitch a third inning.

I know you’re a *Cubs* fan so you’ve probably only seen the Brewers 15-20 times this year, but this is how they’ve handled Hader all season long. Give him the most important innings of the game, throw him multiple innings, give him a day off. Even if he doesn’t pitch a 3rd inning, he’s very likely not pitching today. When you lead game 1 of the NLCS having faced an all time great pitcher, you do everything you can to win it and worry about game 2 when you get there. Burned and Paralta are available for multiple innings today, Soria, Knebel, Jeffress, and Cedeno all available to pitch an inning today. Counsell managed that exactly how he had to.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4061 on: October 13, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
;)

I guess you missed the last 2 innings of the game. The Crew loses game 1 after going up 6-1 having had Kershaw on the bump of Hader doesn’t pitch a third inning.

Again, you have no way of knowing this.  None. I'm aware of how the Brewers have used their bullpen all year long.  Yesterday was not the norm, it was his career high in pitches. Only the second time in his career he pitched 3 innings, thus not normal and not how they used him all year long.  Yes, it is the playoffs, and you have to secure wins. It was 5-1 when he went in.  I hope it works out for them. 

Your other arguments continue to lack any substance which is why they are so easily brushed aside.  The next thing you are going to tell me is a Bulls fan can't say someone is greater than Jordan, like a 49ers fan can't admit someone is better than Montana even if at one point in time Montana and Jordan were the greatest ever. Times change. Circumstances change.
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4062 on: October 13, 2018, 01:19:28 PM »
Again, you have no way of knowing this.  None. I'm aware of how the Brewers have used their bullpen all year long.  Yesterday was not the norm, it was his career high in pitches. Only the second time in his career he pitched 3 innings, thus not normal and not how they used him all year long.  Yes, it is the playoffs, and you have to secure wins. It was 5-1 when he went in.  I hope it works out for them. 

Your other arguments continue to lack any substance which is why they are so easily brushed aside.  The next thing you are going to tell me is a Bulls fan can't say someone is greater than Jordan, like a 49ers fan can't admit someone is better than Montana even if at one point in time Montana and Jordan were the greatest ever. Times change. Circumstances change.

Hader wasn’t pitching today regardless of if he came out for a 3rd inning or not. The absolute only thing him pitching a third inning changed in this series was it got the Brewers 1 extra inning of Hader at work. As a Brewers fan, that’s a huge win. It WAS 6-1 when Hader came in. In the NLCS, when you get a lead in game 1 that Kershaw started, you don’t just say, “Hey, we’re up 5. Let’s save our studs and throw out Freddy Peralta for the last 4 innings here!” Especially against a lineup like the Dodgers. You play to win game 1 when you have a lead, especially when you’re not going to have Hader available the next day as it is anyways. Thank God Counsell threw Hader a 3rd because everyone that came in the last 2 innings struggled mightily. Crew blows that game if Hader doesn’t come out for that third inning. Huge win. You’ll learn someday.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 01:23:53 PM by wadesworld »

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #4063 on: October 13, 2018, 02:38:04 PM »
Ok, watched 5 minutes of these bozos. Frank's the only one with his head on.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #4064 on: October 13, 2018, 05:53:37 PM »
That damn wildling got him again.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4065 on: October 13, 2018, 05:56:29 PM »
That damn wildling got him again.

No idea how he could through a breaking ball down and in to him.  That is the pitch he wants/sets up for.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4066 on: October 13, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
Hader wasn’t pitching today regardless of if he came out for a 3rd inning or not. The absolute only thing him pitching a third inning changed in this series was it got the Brewers 1 extra inning of Hader at work. As a Brewers fan, that’s a huge win. It WAS 6-1 when Hader came in. In the NLCS, when you get a lead in game 1 that Kershaw started, you don’t just say, “Hey, we’re up 5. Let’s save our studs and throw out Freddy Peralta for the last 4 innings here!” Especially against a lineup like the Dodgers. You play to win game 1 when you have a lead, especially when you’re not going to have Hader available the next day as it is anyways. Thank God Counsell threw Hader a 3rd because everyone that came in the last 2 innings struggled mightily. Crew blows that game if Hader doesn’t come out for that third inning. Huge win. You’ll learn someday.

Didn't need him to pitch 3 innings yesterday in the first place.  Didn't need him to come in at 5-1 either.

Brewers just coughed up late lead.  I won't be like you and say the Brewers would have won tonight (they may still) if they used Hader smarter because unlike you, I can't predict the impossible.  That being said, I'm betting every Brewers fans wishes they had Hader here at the end of this game for at least one inning.
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4067 on: October 13, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »
Didn't need him to pitch 3 innings yesterday in the first place.  Didn't need him to come in at 5-1 either.

Brewers just coughed up late lead.  I won't be like you and say the Brewers would have won tonight (they may still) if they used Hader smarter because unlike you, I can't predict the impossible.  That being said, I'm betting every Brewers fans wishes they had Hader here at the end of this game for at least one inning.

Hader was not pitching today regardless. I don’t know how you don’t understand this. It’s not hard to comprehend. This. Is. What. They. Do. With. Hader. He wasn’t pitching today.

They certainly needed him to go 3. They won the game by 1 run with him going 3 scoreless. You have it entirely wrong Chicos Cubs fan.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4068 on: October 13, 2018, 06:08:17 PM »

Hader typically got off days during the season after throwing 2 innings in a game. (I'd say always but my fact checker has the weekend off.)   So throwing a third inning yesterday is irrelevant as Hader would have been off today after throwing two anyway.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4069 on: October 13, 2018, 06:22:55 PM »
Hader typically got off days during the season after throwing 2 innings in a game. (I'd say always but my fact checker has the weekend off.)   So throwing a third inning yesterday is irrelevant as Hader would have been off today after throwing two anyway.

Up 5-1, you didn't need to use Hader in that position yesterday to begin with.  John Smoltz has stated the obvious.  Sometimes you win the battle and lose the war.
— Plato

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #4070 on: October 13, 2018, 06:29:00 PM »
Up 5-1, you didn't need to use Hader in that position yesterday to begin with.  John Smoltz has stated the obvious.  Sometimes you win the battle and lose the war.

So you're only questioning the timing? If CC doesn't use Hader there and the other receivers do exactly what they did you still use Hader later in the game. CC has said that Gio was never going to bat so it was going to be a bullpen game regardless.  No way Hader doesn't get used at all so sending him out for 5-7, is no different than if he got used in inning 7-8, or 7-9. Hader was always going to pitch in game one and never in game two. CC confirmed, if you disagree you're just trolling.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #4071 on: October 13, 2018, 06:47:20 PM »
Has to be deflating, those were two games Milwaukee should have won with better bullpen management in my opinion.
— Plato

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4072 on: October 13, 2018, 07:16:36 PM »
Has to be deflating, those were two games Milwaukee should have won with better bullpen management in my opinion.

The Brewers won 96 regular season games, won the NL Central to send your beloved Cubbies to a 1 and done appearance in the post season, and swept through the NLDS with the exact same bullpen management that has them at 1-1 in the NLCS. I doubt they’re deflated, but maybe.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #4073 on: October 13, 2018, 07:32:19 PM »
Damn. The only particular play/decision in that game that was really upsetting was Burnes issuing that leadoff walk to Muncy in the 7th. Up 3-0, he's got to hit the zone, even at the risk of getting hit. Make them beat you and keep ducks off the pond. If Muncy mashes one, oh well. Then its 3-1 and Counsell goes to the bullpen with the bases empty. You just can't start their rally for them.

The rest was just baseball being baseball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4074 on: October 13, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »
Damn. The only particular play/decision in that game that was really upsetting was Burnes issuing that leadoff walk to Muncy in the 7th. Up 3-0, he's got to hit the zone, even at the risk of getting hit. Make them beat you and keep ducks off the pond. If Muncy mashes one, oh well. Then its 3-1 and Counsell goes to the bullpen with the bases empty. You just can't start their rally for them.

The rest was just baseball being baseball.

I wasn’t a fan of Counsell sending Jeffress back out there for a second inning of work after walking in a run with their worst player at the plate. I’m not sure he’s thrown a scoreless inning this entire postseason. There were enough arms still available (Soria, Knebel, Cedeno, even Guerra and Peralta) to get you 6 more outs, especially with the Dodgers having 0 available position players to come off the bench.

But yeah otherwise the Dodgers are simply a good team. You aren’t going to shut them out.

feedback