collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 498887 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #1975 on: July 18, 2018, 11:53:58 AM »
Eh,  I will say I think many here are overestimating how angelic most 17 year olds are,  and underestimate how much people mature from the time they're in high school to the time they're in their mid 20s.

Most 17 year olds have said things like these tweets or encouraged others who said such things at some point or another. Most are not stupid enough to immortalize it online.

Hell,  I know annoy everyone on this site with my wokeness and I can think of times when my 17 year old self laughed at things like those tweets. I used to think gay and racist jokes were funny. Does that mean I think they are still funny today?  No, I went to college and grew up.

Don't mistake me,  just because a lot of 17 year olds say stupid stuff didn't excuse the behavior. It was wrong when he tweeted it and it's wrong now. Hader is a guy who said some stupid things as a kid.  As long as he owns it,  apologizes,  and does better that's all we can ask for at this point.

Ditto man. Not only did I say some and laugh at homophobic and racist jokes when I was 17, but I hear it all the time from my students, and I do everything I can to shut it down.  Many high school students (especially male athletes, in my experience) don't care or seem to know why what they say is hurtful, but I have faith that those formative years between 18 and 23 will help.

I take very little stock in what someone said when they were in high school when judging them as an adult. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1976 on: July 18, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »
Yup.  This is where I'm at.  If anybody claims they never said something like that or laughed at something like that or quoted an inappropriate movie or song when they were in their late teens and then looked back on it in their 20s they're lying.  We've all done stupid stuff.  Sure, some of us are at least smart enough not to throw it on the internet for everyone to see, but the reality is even if we did, 99.99% of us would never be exposed for it.

Hader could be a homophobic racist today, but looking back on his Tweets from 7 years ago when he was 17 years old does not prove that at all.  To say that peoples' views and perspectives don't change much between when they're 17 and when they're 24 is absolutely asinine.

I said their basic values really don't change much between 17 and 24. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1977 on: July 18, 2018, 12:18:58 PM »
Sew, 'spose Josh could always bee a MKE cop if da 'hole baseball thin' goes south. Hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1978 on: July 18, 2018, 12:22:02 PM »
MLB is making Hader go to Sensitivity Training.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1979 on: July 18, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »

I said their basic values really don't change much between 17 and 24.

I don't know if that's fair. That's a pretty transformative period for a lot of people, when many leave the cocoon provided by their homes, schools and communities and go off to college or the workplace or the military. Or, in Hader's case, the Orioles' minor league system. I'd venture to guess he interacted with more people outside his own culture in two months of minor league ball than he did in 17 years of growing up in central Maryland.

This is not to excuse his tweets ... only disputing the notion that a person's values don't or can't change much between 17 and 24. In fact, that can be the time in life when a person's outlook changes the most.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 12:50:36 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1980 on: July 18, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »
MLB is making Hader go to Sensitivity Training.

Well, I mean, they can't do nothing. Maybe it'll actually do him some good.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #1981 on: July 18, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »
If Jesus thinks he's changed, then who are we to argue.

https://twitter.com/JAguilarMKE/status/1019639195478962176

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #1982 on: July 18, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
If Jesus thinks he's changed, then who are we to argue.

https://twitter.com/JAguilarMKE/status/1019639195478962176

Of course Jesus is going to forgive him!

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1983 on: July 18, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
In a turn of events that is less surprising than this thread heading off the rails, Baltimore may have issues with some of the medicals in the deal.  Maybe LA isn't Manny's new home after all.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1984 on: July 18, 2018, 02:46:40 PM »
 just remember-anything you say(or video :-[), on SCOOP, twitter, facebook, fill in the blank tube can and will be used against ya'll...and ya can't use the excuse that you were just looking for some old girlfriend videos either ;) ruh-roh
don't...don't don't don't don't

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1985 on: July 18, 2018, 03:43:29 PM »
Yelich was the guest on Pardon My Take today. Interesting conversation and went into the Jose Fernandez accident. It definitely gives greater insight into the human element that gets overlooked in pro sports.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1986 on: July 18, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »
Ditto man. Not only did I say some and laugh at homophobic and racist jokes when I was 17, but I hear it all the time from my students, and I do everything I can to shut it down.  Many high school students (especially male athletes, in my experience) don't care or seem to know why what they say is hurtful, but I have faith that those formative years between 18 and 23 will help.

I take very little stock in what someone said when they were in high school when judging them as an adult.

For some reason - and I fully allow that I could be "wrong" about this - I find a pretty big difference between somebody saying something in conversation and somebody taking the time to post something.

To actually go online and make the effort to tweet something racist or put it on FB, that seems "worse" to me.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1987 on: July 18, 2018, 04:55:25 PM »
For some reason - and I fully allow that I could be "wrong" about this - I find a pretty big difference between somebody saying something in conversation and somebody taking the time to post something.

To actually go online and make the effort to tweet something racist or put it on FB, that seems "worse" to me.

I understand what you are saying but I could also see a generational difference here. Online conversation to many in the youngest generation is as authentic and natural as in person conversation. I have had students who post, tweet, snap, etc their every thought without hesitation. Me personally, I don't post on social media often, and when I do I carefully choose what I want to say and its always something "worth saying" so to speak. My younger brother? He posts any and every thing because his online life is just as important to him as his in person life.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1988 on: July 18, 2018, 08:22:31 PM »
From Ad Age:

An explosive display of hitting power by young stars like the Yankees' Aaron Judge and two-time MVP Mike Trout wasn't enough to keep baseball fans glued to their TV sets Tuesday night, as Major League Baseball's 89th annual All-Star Game posted record low ratings.

According to Nielsen live-plus-same-day data, Fox's coverage of the Midsummer Classic averaged just 8.69 million viewers and a 5.2 household rating, marking a decline of 6 percent and 5 percent, respectively, compared to last year's broadcast (9.28 million viewers, 5.5 rating). Despite offering fans a highly entertaining sluggers' clinic—in a game that would be decided in extra innings, American League and National League hitters walloped a staggering 10 home runs, crushing the previous record of six—last night's impromptu dinger derby now ranks as the least-watched, lowest-rated All-Star Game in the 52 years in which Nielsen has been keeping track of that sort of thing.

Here's where I could throw out the wise-crack about the problem having been too much standing for the national anthem ... but I won't do that!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1989 on: July 18, 2018, 09:13:38 PM »
I don't know if that's fair. That's a pretty transformative period for a lot of people, when many leave the cocoon provided by their homes, schools and communities and go off to college or the workplace or the military. Or, in Hader's case, the Orioles' minor league system. I'd venture to guess he interacted with more people outside his own culture in two months of minor league ball than he did in 17 years of growing up in central Maryland.

This is not to excuse his tweets ... only disputing the notion that a person's values don't or can't change much between 17 and 24. In fact, that can be the time in life when a person's outlook changes the most.

I agree with this analysis.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1990 on: July 18, 2018, 10:30:25 PM »
I understand what you are saying but I could also see a generational difference here. Online conversation to many in the youngest generation is as authentic and natural as in person conversation. I have had students who post, tweet, snap, etc their every thought without hesitation. Me personally, I don't post on social media often, and when I do I carefully choose what I want to say and its always something "worth saying" so to speak. My younger brother? He posts any and every thing because his online life is just as important to him as his in person life.

Makes sense, TAMU.

We do have to educate these kids that once they put it out there for all to say, there's no "take-backsies." It is public record forever - to be viewed by potential employers, potential spouses, potential friends, etc.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1991 on: July 19, 2018, 06:39:17 AM »
Makes sense, TAMU.

We do have to educate these kids that once they put it out there for all to say, there's no "take-backsies." It is public record forever - to be viewed by potential employers, potential spouses, potential friends, etc.

People running for political office 10-20 years from now is going to be fascinating because their entire lifes will have been lived in/on/with social media
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1992 on: July 19, 2018, 07:38:23 AM »
People running for political office 10-20 years from now is going to be fascinating because their entire lifes will have been lived in/on/with social media

The person we elected to run our country continues to live his entire life in/on/with social media right now.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1993 on: July 19, 2018, 08:25:33 AM »
The person we elected to run our country continues to live his entire life in/on/with social media right now.

Fair, but I really mean from the time you are 12 until you are relatively formed as a political ideologist in your 30s there is a lot of growth, change, and positions you will later reject as you get more mature/educated.

"My opponent says he stands for position X, but if you look at his Facebook posts he clearly opposed position X so is he a flip flopper."
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1994 on: July 19, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »
Greg Maddux issued just 499 bases on balls over his final 501 career starts.

Of those 499 bases on balls, 101 were intentional walks.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1995 on: July 19, 2018, 08:29:01 AM »

There was an onion article about this a few years back, something like "Republicans and Democrats both try to recruit Earl Figgins, a teenager in Appalachia who is the only person in America without the internet, as he will be the only electable candidate in 2028."

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1996 on: July 19, 2018, 08:32:52 AM »
In order to be consistent, none of us want to be judged by the stupid crap we said or did in our teens.   Most of us grow up and stop.  Milwaukee and MLB are handling this correctly.   If,  going forward, he continues to exhibit racist or homophobic behavior, either by his actions or social media posts,  he can be judged as an adult who should know better.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1997 on: July 19, 2018, 08:37:57 AM »
In order to be consistent, none of us want to be judged by the stupid crap we said or did in our teens.   Most of us grow up and stop.  Milwaukee and MLB are handling this correctly.   If,  going forward, he continues to exhibit racist or homophobic behavior, either by his actions or social media posts,  he can be judged as an adult who should know better.

He should have known better at 18 years old. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #1998 on: July 19, 2018, 08:44:09 AM »
Greg Maddux issued just 499 bases on balls over his final 501 career starts.

Of those 499 bases on balls, 101 were intentional walks.

Tony Gwynn hit .415/.476/.521 in 107 plate appearences against Greg Maddux.  Without a striking out a single time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:03:23 AM by buckchuckler »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1999 on: July 19, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »
Time for MLB expansion?
Manfred lists Portland, Las Vegas, Charlotte, Nashville, Montreal and Vancouver as possibilities.

https://deadspin.com/rob-manfred-says-he-wants-mlb-expansion-lists-six-pote-1827712616