collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB 2018 Season  (Read 491055 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
Re: MLB 2018 Season
« Reply #4300 on: October 28, 2018, 10:06:26 PM »
Have to say, never saw this coming out of David Price. 

Also Kenley blowing 2 saves, never would have bet on that either.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #4301 on: October 28, 2018, 10:18:11 PM »
So much for losing that war

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4302 on: October 28, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »

Price actually looked good in his first WS start even though his command was a little off.

Kenley really wasn't Kenley this year - and the Red Sox can really hit.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4303 on: October 28, 2018, 10:22:19 PM »
Chris Sale - good morning, good afternoon and good night!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4304 on: October 28, 2018, 10:34:24 PM »
Every series, outside of the 1 game AL Wild Card, finished with the road team celebrating this Postseason.

Seeing Manny on a knee to end the Postseason trying to hit a nobody on grand slam was a tiny consolation.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4305 on: October 28, 2018, 10:47:29 PM »
Every series, outside of the 1 game AL Wild Card, finished with the road team celebrating this Postseason.

Seeing Manny on a knee to end the Postseason trying to hit a nobody on grand slam was a tiny consolation.

He actually tried to step on Pearce's foot last night, too. What a dirty sumbeyotch, but we already knew that. Hilarious a couple days back watching him dog it on what he thought was a HR and only making it to first on a ball off the wall when the Dodgers desperately needed to put a runner in scoring position.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4306 on: October 29, 2018, 07:15:58 AM »
Bittersweet to be a Tiger fan today.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/10/28/world-series-2018-detroit-tigers/1760627002/

That team, sadly, lacked team speed, defense,  and a spark.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4307 on: October 29, 2018, 07:33:34 AM »
The first four games of the World Series brought the lowest ratings in four years for Fox ... though that was reflective more of the general decline in broadcast TV viewership.

Hard to believe the first part of that, what with baseball players never kneeling during the anthem.

As for the second part, yep yep. Most sports, especially the NFL, has had positive ratings relative to the rest of television programming.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4308 on: October 29, 2018, 07:46:49 AM »
Bittersweet to be a Tiger fan today.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2018/10/28/world-series-2018-detroit-tigers/1760627002/

That team, sadly, lacked team speed, defense,  and a spark.

"...slick fielding of Ian Kinsler"?  I beg to differ.  His mishandling of a groundball gave the Red Sox their only WS loss (not to mention his 64 OPS+ with the Sox after coming over).  But JD, Porcello and Price were all huge this year and in the playoffs (especially Price, who I would have been inclined to give the World Series MVP too, though Pearce was also a very good choice.)

Those Tiger teams in the first half of this decade were good enough to win it all for a four year stretch but just couldn't get over the hump.  That stretch where they had Scherzer, Verlander and Sanchez atop the rotation could easily have won a championship.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4309 on: October 29, 2018, 07:54:13 AM »
The first four games of the World Series brought the lowest ratings in four years for Fox ... though that was reflective more of the general decline in broadcast TV viewership.

Hard to believe the first part of that, what with baseball players never kneeling during the anthem.

As for the second part, yep yep. Most sports, especially the NFL, has had positive ratings relative to the rest of television programming.

Baseball has cashed in on the local programming to the detriment of their national product.  There aren't as many baseball fans these days as there are fans of the local team.  Honestly I couldn't have named half of the Red Sox line up before the playoffs began.

So outside of the Yankees and Cubs, I'm not sure there is any team that would draw more than any other, unless their local fan base is simply larger.  (LA v. Milwaukee for instance.)

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4310 on: October 29, 2018, 07:54:26 AM »

Me neither.  Going into the playoffs, the Sox had a rotation of an ailing Sale, a consistently terrible postseason pitcher in Price, and up and down guys Porcello and Eovaldi, and a bullpen that had been shaky the last month of the season or so.  Even though they won 108 games, it was mostly the same cast that had meekly bowed out of the playoffs the last two years and I didn't have high hopes for the postseason, especially against the Yankees in round 1.  But once the playoffs started, outside of Sale (who was definitely not physically right) all the pitchers were suddenly the best versions of themselves.  Joe Kelly being good Joe Kelly instead of wild Joe Kelly was huge.  But the biggest surprise (especially after getting knocked around by the Yankees in his first start) by far was Price.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4311 on: October 29, 2018, 08:48:12 AM »

Baseball on TV is unwatchable, unless you have a dog in the fight.  Even then it's often still better on the radio.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4312 on: October 29, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »
Baseball on TV is unwatchable, unless you have a dog in the fight.  Even then it's often still better on the radio.

It's watchable, as long as you are doing something else like reading a book, playing video games, doing work, etc.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4313 on: October 29, 2018, 09:11:55 AM »

It's watchable, as long as you are doing something else like reading a book, playing video games, doing work, etc.

Agree with both of these observations, gentlemen.

I cannot sit and watch anything close to a full MLB game. I will sometimes have a game on in the background while I do other stuff, as mu03 says. Mostly, I'll watch something else and occasionally check back on a ballgame; if it's a key situation - 2 on, 2 out, tie game, etc - I'll pause and watch for the 8 freakin' minutes the pitcher works to the next batter.

I think all three of us are probably "above average" consumers of sports, and I think our apathy helps explain some of baseball's problems.

But again, compared to most of the ratings for most of the tripe on TV, baseball's ratings aren't that awful. And NFL ratings are outstanding.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4314 on: October 29, 2018, 09:44:42 AM »
I still love the MLB Playoffs.  If games are going past 10:30 and I don't have a rooting interest I'll go to bed, but if a game is on I have it on.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4315 on: October 29, 2018, 10:05:53 AM »

That's fair.  Hence my radio comment.  I very much enjoy #Crew baseball on the radio.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4316 on: October 29, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
That's fair.  Hence my radio comment.  I very much enjoy #Crew baseball on the radio.

I could listen to Uecker talk about paint drying.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4317 on: October 29, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
I could listen to Uecker talk about paint drying.

"Nothing but the best paint at your local Hardware Hank. Great wall coverage, fast drying, you betcha. You've got a lot more going for you with Hank... Hardware Hank."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4318 on: November 15, 2018, 05:46:08 PM »
In what was simply a formality, Yelich named NL MVP.  Well deserved.  As a Brewers fan, his last month (and really second half) was incredible.  What a trade.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #4319 on: November 15, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »
In what was simply a formality, Yelich named NL MVP.  Well deserved.  As a Brewers fan, his last month (and really second half) was incredible.  What a trade.

I have to say, I completely agree with the awards voting this season. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4320 on: November 15, 2018, 08:36:49 PM »
Includin' da dude from ATL over Counsell for mangler, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #4321 on: November 16, 2018, 12:28:44 PM »
Includin' da dude from ATL over Counsell for mangler, hey?

Hey?  Yeah.  Younger, unproven team, made the playoffs ahead of schedule.  I think he deserved it.  Got a team to the playoffs where 2 of the best 3 players were what, 20 and 21?  I think he deserves a lot of credit. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4322 on: November 16, 2018, 01:42:19 PM »
Hey?  Yeah.  Younger, unproven team, made the playoffs ahead of schedule.  I think he deserved it.  Got a team to the playoffs where 2 of the best 3 players were what, 20 and 21?  I think he deserves a lot of credit.

Only real issue I have is Cain getting robbed of a gold glove.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #4323 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:32 PM »
In the first big trade of the offseason, Yanks acquire James Paxton.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #4324 on: November 19, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »
Didn't no he played baseball. Sure wuz a hellofa playa wit da Dayton Flyers, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback