'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

UGA, UVM, WIS? how does MU do?

UGA-W   UVM-W   WIS-W   (3-0)
59 (29.1%)
UGA-W   UVM-W   WIS-L   (2-1)
62 (30.5%)
UGA-W   UVM-L   WIS-W   (2-1)
16 (7.9%)
UGA-L   UVM-W   WIS-W   (2-1)
20 (9.9%)
UGA-L   UVM-L   WIS-W   (1-2)
3 (1.5%)
UGA-L   UVM-W   WIS-L   (1-2)
24 (11.8%)
UGA-W   UVM-L   WIS-L   (1-2)
6 (3%)
UGA-L   UVM-L   WIS-L   (0-3)
13 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 203

Voting closed: December 02, 2017, 01:32:56 PM

Author Topic: Next Week?  (Read 10729 times)

MUBigDance

• All American
Next Week?
« on: November 29, 2017, 01:32:56 PM »
RESULTS

beat UGA: 71%   beat UVM: 82%  beat WIS: 49%  2-1 or better: 78%
==================================================================================

OK, Cardinal Sin....looking ahead of the Chicago State foe in front of us...(but a loss ain't gonna happen tonight)

But next week is just so intriguing.
UGA 5-1 with a nice win over St. Mary's (not the Mountain)
UVM 5-1 with 4pt loss to KY and could easily be 7-1 when they face us.
WIS 3-4 but against good competition

All are underrated methinks. And wins could pay real resume dividends. And we have a chance to  beat each of these teams.
I see 2-1 as successful (even if it means a loss to "them").
So whats going to happen?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 01:06:56 PM by MUBigDance »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Next Week?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 01:37:57 PM »
I think 3-0 (assuming we take care of business against NIU and American) gives us so much more room for error in BE play. 

3-0 is definitely attainable. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »
I think 3-0 (assuming we take care of business against NIU and American) gives us so much more room for error in BE play. 

3-0 is definitely attainable.

Optimistic agreement...I'm one of the other 3-0's....I like that there are others thinking the same.

I also think its great we have a bunch of 0-3 votes early!  So spirited "I-Told-You-So" coming to Scoop real soon!

I have been burned by MU over-optimism so many times...but you got to roll the way you are!

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »
Georgia will be a good test for us. They have a good core of upperclassmen and couple of younger guys that seem like they're pretty good. I think their big guy is going to give us fits, and we'll need to get a lot of work out of Theo to help slow him down. From reading a little bit about their tournament, it sounds like they've had a few issues playing a full 40 minutes, but they seem to be pretty good overall. Hopefully our freshmen will get some good minutes and needed experience tonight to give them a boost coming into the weekend.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
2-1. I think we lose at the Kohl Hole. UGA has been a pleasant surprise this season, I thought they would struggle to find a PG after Frazier but the Jackson kid has stepped up nicely. Still think we have enough firepower to beat them. If Maten scores 2, we'll score 3. Vermont is a great mid-major but in 6 years under their current coach (I think 6 is right), they have never won at a high major gym. Hopefully we're not the first. Very disciplined team. Bucky is hard to get a gauge on, my eye test says they are Ethan Happ, D'Mitrik Trice surrounded by a bunch of nonsense. I just have been burned too many times by underestimating the Badgers to be confident about beating them. I do think that 3-0 is more likely than 1-2...but this was all before Cheatham left. Still need to see how they adjust to life after Haanie.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 02:00:06 PM »
2-1. I think we lose at the Kohl Hole. UGA has been a pleasant surprise this season, I thought they would struggle to find a PG after Frazier but the Jackson kid has stepped up nicely. Still think we have enough firepower to beat them. If Maten scores 2, we'll score 3. Vermont is a great mid-major but in 6 years under their current coach (I think 6 is right), they have never won at a high major gym. Hopefully we're not the first. Very disciplined team. Bucky is hard to get a gauge on, my eye test says they are Ethan Happ, D'Mitrik Trice surrounded by a bunch of nonsense. I just have been burned too many times by underestimating the Badgers to be confident about beating them. I do think that 3-0 is more likely than 1-2...but this was all before Cheatham left. Still need to see how they adjust to life after Haanie.

Any decent big will just feast under the basket against us.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »

The only way you can stop Happ is double teaming like Virginia did and let the threes rain, if they are off like VA, MU wins, or if they are on, good night.  I see UW winning

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 02:05:26 PM »
Yes. Happ, Ethan.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 02:06:09 PM »
I also think its great we have a bunch of 0-3 votes early!  So spirited "I-Told-You-So" coming to Scoop real soon!

Probably the same folks who picked us to lose to Vanderbilt, Georgia and Fresno last year.

I say 3-0 is more likely than 0-3, but I'm thinking 2-1 and I'd be satisfied with it ... as long as we don't choke away the game vs. F*cky.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 02:18:21 PM »
1-2. Thats easy to pick.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 02:18:46 PM »
The only way you can stop Happ is double teaming like Virginia did and let the threes rain, if they are off like VA, MU wins, or if they are on, good night.  I see UW winning

Or just foul him.  Happ is a sub 60% career FT shooter. This would be a game where having Harry eligible or Ike on the court would be useful. Just let Theo bang away at him.

Tough to hack-a-happ with 8 players, though.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 02:21:15 PM »
Or just foul him.  Happ is a sub 60% career FT shooter. This would be a game where having Harry eligible or Ike on the court would be useful. Just let Theo bang away at him.

Tough to hack-a-happ with 8 players, though.

Somone had the idea to just send Cam out to kick him in the nads. Might not be a terrible idea.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 02:22:49 PM »
Somone had the idea to just send Cam out to kick him in the nads. Might not be a terrible idea.

I like it.  Or even the Leito kid.  At lest he's got a little size.  Just send him out there with 10 minutes left in the game and direct him to jump on Happs back everytime hes about to shoot!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »

Can Cam even kick that high?  That would be a hell of a goose step for him.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »
I like it.  Or even the Leito kid.  At lest he's got a little size.  Just send him out there with 10 minutes left in the game and direct him to jump on Happs back everytime hes about to shoot!

Why wait that long? Pull a Pat Smith and get both players ejected early.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 04:12:24 PM »
3-0 baby!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 04:26:02 PM »
Wisconsin with four losses.......all to top 25 teams.

What's our recrod vs. top 25?  Yup!  I think Wisco's losses were closer.

On the other hand, Happ is pretty much it on the inside offensively.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 04:28:44 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 09:58:57 PM »
Post game bump to catch anyone who’s not voted. Will bump a couple times before game Saturday just to make sure people have a chance to see it and vote.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 10:32:07 PM »
Not losing to those chumps to the west.  They can't score with us and aren't physically imposing. 
I am more concerned about Georgia.  If we can get past the Bulldogs, we will go 3-0.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 11:05:52 PM »
Maybe Matt will put on his offensive moves to get Happ in early foul trouble!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 05:39:36 AM »
If MU loses to THIS UW team, there is something wrong I'd say. They aren't terrible, but what has anyone seen from them this year so far that you are intimidated by?? They aren't good defensively, they can't shoot from 3(32%), and all they really have is Happ. What, is he suddenly going to score enough by himself to beat MU?? I like how everyone says "if they are hitting their 3's, It will be over". They haven't been hitting 3's all year..I think 6-7 games is a large enough sample to make the determination they just aren't a good 3pt shooting team. Heck, this UW team has only out rebounded MU by 8 total rebounds this year.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 06:35:04 AM »
The Kohl hole is worth 15 points, particularly against a young team that relies on 3's.    Georgia played MSU relatively even during their hurricane fundraiser exhibition.    Big, strong, and physical.   What could possibly go wrong?  Marquette could very easily be Georgia's soft shelled pecans.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 07:06:46 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 07:12:31 AM »
Voted the optimistic 3-0 but nothing would surprise me.

Georgia has a lot of length in the backcourt. They aren't a great three point team, but Maten and their bigs will force us to keep scoring. I think we can turn it into a shootout and win going away.

Vermont is a great warmup for Wisconsin because they play slow. I think the key will be fouls. Vermont really only plays 6 guys. If Rowsey can do #TheThing a couple times and we attack the rim to draw fouls it will put them under pressure.

Wisconsin, they are what they are. Happ and a pile of crap. Double Happ, turn it into a shooting contest. It won't be easy, but the last time we went there they were better, we were worse, and we won. Certainly winnable.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mu2323

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 07:43:41 AM »
Bucky game is really hit or miss. In all honesty they have been in everygame they lost really except for Virginia. They were beating Xavier by 2 with 2 left and lost by 10 and up 6 on UCLA with 2 mins and lost that as well.

They have 0 jump shooters on the team and can only score through Happ which could be a nightmare for us.  If our 3 pointers are falling this could turn into a blowout.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:32 AM »
I voted 3-0 as I look on the optimistic side but digging a little deeper I think Georgia is a tougher test for us that that team west of us. Georgia's length could bother all shooters but Sam, and that might lead to Rowsey playing a little hero ball (which that can doom us quickly if the shots don't fall). I still think we should be able to pull away but double teaming Maten needs to happen early.

As for the game at the Kohl, no one outside of Happ intimidates me. I watched the second half of the Virginia game and gained more optimism for our chances. Virginia would double Happ and shooters were open, but it was clank after clank after clank. I think Badger fans were hoping that Pritzl and King would be the answers, but neither have been good to the start of the season.

feedback