Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Season outlook took a hit  (Read 14700 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Season outlook took a hit
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2017, 02:15:42 PM »
We absolutely traded Levin for Henry. It was made clear that Henry was committing during his on campus and Levin announced he was transferring shortly after that. Taylor also left because Henry was coming in.

Sure.  But scholarship-wise, could have had both of them (and STJr!).  It wasn't a one or the other thing.  It's not like Wojo was going to call Levin (or Steve) into his office to get permission to get a commit from a 5 star recruit. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2017, 02:20:32 PM »
Sure.  But scholarship-wise, could have had both of them (and STJr!).  It wasn't a one or the other thing.  It's not like Wojo was going to call Levin (or Steve) into his office to get permission to get a commit from a 5 star recruit.

Sure. But that's the risk you run when you recruit a 5-star player. To be clear, I want us to get to the point where we are regularly recruiting 5-star players. In hindsight, I wonder if recruiting a 5-star player to a team full of nothing was the right move. But LHB is correct too. Henry's presence might have hurt with some players but maybe helped us with others. Impossible to know.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2017, 02:37:42 PM »
Yeah ... forgot about Levin.

I'll still take the "coming to MUs" vs the "leaving MUs" in the Great Transfer Game since Wojo arrived.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Archies Bat

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2017, 02:59:04 PM »
Yeah ... forgot about Levin.

I'll still take the "coming to MUs" vs the "leaving MUs" in the Great Transfer Game since Wojo arrived.

Isn't Levin a wash?  He was both a transfer in and a transfer out.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2017, 09:00:03 AM »
We saw a little bit on Saturday how  Haanif's departure (and Traci's and Duane's) will negatively impact the team going forward.   Wojo is clearly ticked at Rowsey.   In year's past, he has benched players (ok, player.   JaJuan) when they aren't practicing and playing and leading the way Wojo wants.   He can't bench Rowsey.    There simply are no other options.   So he did the strongest thing he did, he demoted him.    Markus's foul trouble dictated Rowsey coming in and playing (poorly) his usual minutes.   
   I am not saying that Haanif would have been the difference maker on Saturday.    However, I can definitely see a scenario where he would have practiced at PG all week and started there on Saturday with Rowsey never leaving the bench.    And Wojo's message would have been sent loud and clear.   Haanif was never a natural point guard.   But he had done it.    Start him at point, have Sam help bring the ball up against pressure, let Markus and Sam come off some screens.   No longer an option.       
   Wojo and the team are worse off for it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »
Tower

If Rowsey is trouble, bench him and leave them there. I would 100% respect Wojo if that ends up being the case. MU ball owes him nothing.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2017, 12:00:31 PM »
I cannot agree with willfully going into a game with only Markus, Elliot, and Sacar at guard.    Too big of an ask.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2018, 08:17:54 AM »
There is no getting around the fact that Haanif's decision has negatively impacted the prospects for the rest of the year.   There wasn't enough size, depth or experience before.  This has exacerbated the problem.  I know longer think this is a bubble team.  Counting on 3 freshmen to make significant contributions is asking for disappointment. 

If Wojo somehow gets this team to the tourney, any questions about his ability will be put to rest.  And recruit more guards.

Bump.   

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2018, 08:42:19 PM »
Bump.
Need Sat, prob 1 in BET an SH to lose next 2
Goal is National Championship

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2018, 10:10:37 PM »
Bump.

Except Cain and Elliott are posting much better numbers in Big East play than Haanif ever did.  Haanif was overmatched at high major level.  Great kid.  But, we don't need another below the rim player, and Haanif didn't possess nearly the athleticism of Greg and Jamal - simply would have stunted their growth, and in turn, the programs.  Was addition by subtraction.

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »
Except Cain and Elliott are posting much better numbers in Big East play than Haanif ever did.  Haanif was overmatched at high major level.  Great kid.  But, we don't need another below the rim player, and Haanif didn't possess nearly the athleticism of Greg and Jamal - simply would have stunted their growth, and in turn, the programs.  Was addition by subtraction.

Agree with this. Haanif wouldn’t have made a difference to the team’s NCAA hopes. He transferred to a school that better suits his basketball abilities.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2018, 03:09:10 AM »
Agree with this. Haanif wouldn’t have made a difference to the team’s NCAA hopes. He transferred to a school that better suits his basketball abilities.

Having Haanif on the team would have helped.  Better than an empty scholarship.  Doesn't have the upside of Elliott or Cain, but was hardly without value.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2018, 03:45:30 AM »
He transferred to a school closer to home for family reasons.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2018, 04:08:30 AM »
He transferred to a school closer to home for family reasons.

He transferred for more PT.  The family story was what he any Wojo agreed to for a cover story. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2018, 06:23:49 AM »
Haanif would have been a 6'5 junior guard on a team that lacks depth, experience, and defenders.  An 8 ppg guard who can hit the occasional 3 and defend multiple positions and has the body and experience to grind through a big East season.  Yeah, this team had no need for that. :o

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2018, 06:30:32 AM »
I cannot agree with willfully going into a game with only Markus, Elliot, and Sacar at guard.    Too big of an ask.

...but that is exactly what we will have next season; unless we fill the open schollie with a serviceable senior transfer pg. I agree Haani leaving hurt the team, especially on defense.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:32:16 AM by muwarrior69 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2018, 06:31:17 AM »
...but that is exactly what we will have next season; unless we fill the open schollie with a serviceable senior transfer pg.
Absolutely agree.  Not worried about it yet.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2018, 06:38:37 AM »
Absolutely agree.  Not worried about it yet.

Do you see any way our defense improves next season? Will Morrow provide (hopefully with good hands) that rebounding we so desperately need? Is Joey a good rebounder? I know Harry has not played much, but I think he was the reason we won the game last night neutralizing Gtown's big guy.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:41:13 AM by muwarrior69 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2018, 06:38:46 AM »
Haanif would have been a 6'5 junior guard on a team that lacks depth, experience, and defenders.  An 8 ppg guard who can hit the occasional 3 and defend multiple positions and has the body and experience to grind through a big East season.  Yeah, this team had no need for that. :o

Who knows? Could we have used him at times? Sure. Would his limited use made him unhappy enough to be a negative? Maybe. It's possible we would have won 1 or 2 games when Elliott, Sacar or Cain struggled. Also possible we would have lost games they played well in. Bottom line - he was an experienced player on a downward trajectory and his departure means more time for inexperienced players with more potential. I think we benefitted.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2018, 07:10:46 AM »
Do you see any way our defense improves next season? Will Morrow provide (hopefully with good hands) that rebounding we so desperately need? Is Joey a good rebounder? I know Harry has not played much, but I think he was the reason we won the game last night neutralizing Gtown's big guy.

To your questions, yes, yes, and yes.

I do still have concerns about how much our defense will improve, but I think it does improve. I think Ed will be a difference maker. He's proven he can play at a high-major level, so I have more confidence in him than I do in the average transfer. I also expect Joey to contribute. Maybe not as much as some might hope, but he's a smart player, technically sound, and 5-star for a reason.

I think tower's point is that worrying about next year now isn't the priority. We still have Creighton, the Big East Tournament, and whatever postseason comes after that. We have at least one open scholarship and there will likely be a wealth of options for the staff to look at. The PG for 2018-19 will sort itself out in the coming months, but now it's better to enjoy the coming month.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »

No argument with your point, but Haani left us for PT.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 27, 2018, 08:31:37 AM »
No argument with your point, but Haani left us for PT.
Maybe he thought that Greg and Jamal would pass him next year, but 25 mpg isn't exactly garbage time
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2018, 09:25:21 AM »
IMO, then and now, his departure negatively impacted the season.  I understand the who what when why and how of it his departure.  I think some are choosing  to downplay the consequences of his departure.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2018, 09:26:42 AM »
To your questions, yes, yes, and yes.

I do still have concerns about how much our defense will improve, but I think it does improve. I think Ed will be a difference maker. He's proven he can play at a high-major level, so I have more confidence in him than I do in the average transfer. I also expect Joey to contribute. Maybe not as much as some might hope, but he's a smart player, technically sound, and 5-star for a reason.

I think tower's point is that worrying about next year now isn't the priority. We still have Creighton, the Big East Tournament, and whatever postseason comes after that. We have at least one open scholarship and there will likely be a wealth of options for the staff to look at. The PG for 2018-19 will sort itself out in the coming months, but now it's better to enjoy the coming month.

Considering Sam's freshman year, and especially sophomore year, and the fact that Joey is a little bigger/more athletic/ranked higher... Has me salivating about the idea of a senior Sam and sophomore Joey

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2018, 09:45:33 AM »
IMO, then and now, his departure negatively impacted the season.  I understand the who what when why and how of it his departure.  I think some are choosing  to downplay the consequences of his departure.

If Hani would have been OK with his role shrinking (essentially backing up Sacar) I agree his staying would have been a small net positive. But doesn't his leaving indicate that he wasn't OK with that? This year's team has some weaknesses but team chemistry doesn't seem to be among them. If an unhappy Cheatham sticks around, who knows?