Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Huddles  (Read 22729 times)

T-Bone

• All American
Re: Wojo’s Huddles
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »
Demotivating.

There are 4 seats still available for Scoop's "Huddle Dynamics - Motivate/Demotivate?" seminar this upcoming February.  Hear! Platitudes.  See!Clipboards.  Learn! The story of the X AND the O. 
$395. 
Each registrant gets a Honk if you Huddle bumper sticker.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2017, 10:01:21 AM »
You know Wojo is aware of the criticism of his huddle speeches.  If I were him, I would come up with a standard 10-second spiel that I repeat verbatim every time the cameras are on, just to mess with people.

My favorite was the St. John's game where Chris Mullin sat in the huddle and said absolutely nothing.

Here's a thought - how about we create a "read before you post" thread for newbies with links to all of the things we have discussed ad nauseum over time?  It would give them a chance to read some of the responses before they decide to post.

Some suggestions:

"Wojo's huddle"

"Wojo's seat"

"Wojo's ability to retain players"

"Wojo as a demotivator"

"Wojo hates babies and puppies"

;)
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »
I’m literally cracking up at work. This stuff is as good as it gets.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
I’m literally cracking up at work. This stuff is as good as it gets.

It's ridiculous ;D

I remember last year watching specifically to see what guys like McDermott, Holtmann, and Wright said in the televised huddles. It was just as vanilla. You simply won't get substance from these, they don't air that on TV.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
wades

I recommend you either request this to Superbar or request it to be shut down. It is time that all Scoopers realize the topic better match wades POV or it should not exist.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »
I don’t think I’m alone in this because I’ve seen others mention it, but I find Wojo’s huddles when they have a mic on him to be at the same level as 8th grade basketball.  He’s always hoarsely screaming super generic things like:m

“We have to play together.”
“Defense will win this game.”
“We can’t trade baskets.”

Meanwhile, over in Jay Wright’s huddle, he’s saying things like, “Rowsey is looking to shoot off the pick, so you have to hedge farther than usual.  Make him beat us off the dribble.”  Like actually offering specific direction to his players, something they can execute on.  And it’s not just Jay, it’s most other coaches that we get to listen in on.

To me, it’s like night and day,
and I see this every game.  Overall I like Wojo and think he has us headed in the right direction (I’m expecting big things next year), but I have always questioned his in-game
strategy to some extent, and watching his huddles only exacerbates my concern.

Sorry, I saw this post after I commented on the topic about the Eastern Illinois coach’s comments in the huddle.

Wojo shouts 3-4?word phrases hoarsely in the huddle.  The players are inches away and he yells like a cave man at them.  Why doesn’t he speak normal and articulate so they can better understand what he is trying to say?

The Xavier and Villanova coaches are much better coaching in the huddle than Wojo.  Some one needs to calm him down or take over the huddle coaching.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »
Sorry, I saw this post after I commented on the topic about the Eastern Illinois coach’s comments in the huddle.

Wojo shouts 3-4?word phrases hoarsely in the huddle.  The players are inches away and he yells like a cave man at them.  Why doesn’t he speak normal and articulate so they can better understand what he is trying to say?

The Xavier and Villanova coaches are much better coaching in the huddle than Wojo.  Some one needs to calm him down or take over the huddle coaching.

It's possible he suffers from Voice immodulation. Pete Sampras has it.

https://www.hulu.com/watch/276361

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
wades

I recommend you either request this to Superbar or request it to be shut down. It is time that all Scoopers realize the topic better match wades POV or it should not exist.

You can create threads on any topic you would like Goose, or anyone else. And I can and will laugh my a$$ off when those threads are as absurd as this one is.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2017, 11:54:43 AM »
wades

What didn't you like about the Kostas thread?

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2017, 02:49:15 PM »
Someone did an article in this topic last season, can't remember which blog.  MU is actually better than most teams out of a timeout, or they were that season. As fans we tend to remember the bad ones and forget the good ones,  especially the good ones that led to a quality but missed shot.

Can't remember which blog? What are we not paying you for Ryan, haha.
https://painttouches.com/2017/02/09/is-marquette-any-good-in-ato-situations/

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2017, 02:57:10 PM »

How dare you question the vaunted eye-test with things like statistics.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2017, 03:20:26 PM »
My wife can attest to the fact that I laugh at his huddles every single time.  He barks out three words, pauses for  deep breath and then barks out three more words.  They are truly laughable.  Not sold on this guy yet...but hopeful nonetheless.  Would love to have someone stay long term and build a history at MU.  I can understand why the admin likes Wojo and am certainly willing to wait...but not sold.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2017, 03:24:38 PM »

I forgot that analysis.  I always thought Buzz was horrible with time out plays.  I think who used inbounds sets to reset the offense versus looking to score off a diagrammed play.  Wojo’s favorite is the Rowsey curl.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2017, 03:33:12 PM »
Dr.

Buzz was horrible on post TO plays. Loved his style, players he recruited and chip on his shoulder, but always thought he was a horrible game coach.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

You know,  i thought it was us,  but didn't have time to look it up and was gonna be really embarrassed if I was wrong.  Now I'm still embarrassed lol
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2017, 04:00:39 PM »
You know,  i thought it was us,  but didn't have time to look it up and was gonna be really embarrassed if I was wrong.  Now I'm still embarrassed lol

Greg Elliot only gets the easy rebounds.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2017, 04:02:29 PM »
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:39 PM »
Dr.

Buzz was horrible on post TO plays. Loved his style, players he recruited and chip on his shoulder, but always thought he was a horrible game coach.

He doesn't, nor ever will, play for Marquette, he was never, nor ever will be, recruited by Marquette, and he hasn't been, and most likely never will be, an opponent of Marquette's.  He's as relevant to Marquette basketball as Jakub Petras is.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 04:30:34 PM »
He doesn't, nor ever will, play for Marquette, he was never, nor ever will be, recruited by Marquette, and he hasn't been, and most likely never will be, an opponent of Marquette's.  He's as relevant to Marquette basketball as Jakub Petras is.

Think you quoted the wrong post
TAMU

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2017, 04:31:38 PM »

You OD on the Arby’s/B dub buffet?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
Wades

You really have become quite the voice on here. In the future I️ think you should have authority to approve any post prior to it hitting the board.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
Wades

You really have become quite the voice on here. In the future I️ think you should have authority to approve any post prior to it hitting the board.

Sure.  Feel free to PM me before you hit the post button.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2017, 05:25:25 PM »
Think you quoted the wrong post

Yup.  Meant to quote the post about what was wrong with the Kostas thread.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »
Wades

Thanks for the offer.

feedback