[Today at 09:54:20 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PointWarrior
[Today at 12:57:23 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SOTG LSU  (Read 9923 times)

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: SOTG LSU
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2017, 12:13:15 AM »
Sacar.

Rowsey was doing Rowsey things but when Howard wasn't doing what he does best, Sacar stepped it up for this game.
SS Marquette

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2017, 12:42:28 AM »
If you're giving out awards for best performance based on a defense that allowed 84 points, you might want to rethink your evaluation criteria. This team is 100% about offense. Defense is bad and doesn't appear to be trending in a positive direction from last year. Saying that Anim played good D on a kid that put up 40 is an awfully low bar.

Did the kid put up 40 on Anim? Or was he on pace for like 60 until Anim was assigned to him?

Also is Anim a freshman or a redshirt sophomore?

Rowsey was great in the second half. He was absolutely terrible in the first half. Without Rowsey’s bad first half this game was never a game at all.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2017, 01:27:11 AM »
Greg Elliot. Made multiple huge plays when we needed it. The glue guy.

Tough not to give it to Rowsey and he certainly deserves it as well, but Greg gave us what we needed to win.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 04:26:05 AM »
Sacar The Answer Anim

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 05:57:32 AM »
I don't know why this board is against high volume point guards. We saw the hatred with Carlino, now we see it with Rowsey. Next year I'm sure we will see it Howard.

4-6 from 3pt. 16-16 from the line. 5 assists. Yes you are going to have turnovers with a point guard like that.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 06:12:23 AM »
I don't know why this board is against high volume point guards. We saw the hatred with Carlino, now we see it with Rowsey. Next year I'm sure we will see it Howard.

4-6 from 3pt. 16-16 from the line. 5 assists. Yes you are going to have turnovers with a point guard like that.

Curious, who is “against” high volume point guards?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 06:18:56 AM »
Curious, who is “against” high volume point guards?

PGsHeroes32, fjm, Wades (who probably also thinks Rowsey's on roids)
I'm sure if you check the Purdue game thread, or tons from last year or Carlino's year you will find a lot more examples.

DoggyDaddy

• Team Captain
  • We're Warriors son, not Beagles.
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2017, 06:39:18 AM »
1. #thething

Carried our offense down the stretch.  When the rest of our team was starting to tire and come up short on shots, Rowsey was at his best.  Swishing 3's, drawing fouls, driving to the hoop; just a scoring machine.

2. Doogie Hauser

Sure he did the bulk of his damage early but he was so good in that time he's still #2.  Plus it's not his fault the refs called him for a bogus 4th foul and caused him to sit much of the 2nd half.

3. Anim/Heldt

Both really hustled and added some much needed scoring to go along with there solid defense.

HM:  Elliott

Solid D and hustle to go along with his 4 points.  Once he get some muscle and refines his skill set, watch out.  High ceiling.

At the end, #The Thing controlled it: even Waters was copying it.   

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2017, 07:05:13 AM »
Rowsey, but I know what I am going to name my next puppy. Theo.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2017, 07:19:14 AM »
Some of you guys can argue about everything.  There is no 'right' answer here.  Some think Rowsey's outstanding offensive contributions and improved second half ball security are enough to justify SOTG.  Others believe that Sacar's steady D on Waters was central to the victory and more worthy.  Either position is legitimate.  This isn't some zero sum gain where some of you clowns need to defend your view to the death.  You think they are arguing about who had the better game? 

R-E-L-A-X.  We won.  And either is a worthy choice.  Happy Thanksgiving.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2017, 07:20:09 AM »
I'm sure if you check the Purdue game thread, or tons from last year or Carlino's year you will find a lot more examples.

Whoa whoa whoa. Como what?

I'm not against high volume guards. I loved rowsey, he had a great game. But come on man...
I get it, a lot of you are box score SOTG pickers. And even some watched the whole game etc.
But there were parts of the game where rowsey cleared out the lane, stood with the ball until 3 seconds left on the clock, then cut to the hoop and just threw the ball out of bounds. Then got pissed that heldt wasn't standing there with .5 left on the shot clock...

He is an amazing player. One of my favorites. But he did make some really weird freshman type mistakes/turnovers in the last 4 min of the first half. And a lot of them were just plain unnecessary.
Was his second half Fuggin amazing? YES! It was insane and totally great!

Even had a buddy say "if he wasn't on our team, I would hate him". Because of his play style.

So no. I'm not against high volume PG's, and just cause you have rowsey in your name doesn't mean you like him more than everyone else. And just because I didn't pick him for SOTG doesn't mean I don't like high volume PG's, it just means I viewed the game a bit differently.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »
Whoa whoa whoa. Como what?

I'm not against high volume guards. I loved rowsey, he had a great game. But come on man...
I get it, a lot of you are box score SOTG pickers. And even some watched the whole game etc.
But there were parts of the game where rowsey cleared out the lane, stood with the ball until 3 seconds left on the clock, then cut to the hoop and just threw the ball out of bounds. Then got pissed that heldt wasn't standing there with .5 left on the shot clock...

He is an amazing player. One of my favorites. But he did make some really weird freshman type mistakes/turnovers in the last 4 min of the first half. And a lot of them were just plain unnecessary.
Was his second half Fuggin amazing? YES! It was insane and totally great!

Even had a buddy say "if he wasn't on our team, I would hate him". Because of his play style.

So no. I'm not against high volume PG's, and just cause you have rowsey in your name doesn't mean you like him more than everyone else. And just because I didn't pick him for SOTG doesn't mean I don't like high volume PG's, it just means I viewed the game a bit differently.

The interesting thing about Rowsey (and Wojo's handling of him) is that nobody gets upset about the shortcomings he exhibits that he can't do anything about.  The fact that he simply couldn't handle Waters doesn't bother me at all.  Rather, it was the looseness with the ball that exhibited a lack of attention and discipline that bothered many including coach.  Rowsey is a committed scraper.  He came out in the second half and with the exception of the very first stupid play that literally had me swearing at the TV played outstanding ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2017, 07:51:12 AM »
The interesting thing about Rowsey (and Wojo's handling of him) is that nobody gets upset about the shortcomings he exhibits that he can't do anything about.  The fact that he simply couldn't handle Waters doesn't bother me at all.  Rather, it was the looseness with the ball that exhibited a lack of attention and discipline that bothered many including coach.  Rowsey is a committed scraper.  He came out in the second half and with the exception of the very first stupid play that literally had me swearing at the TV played outstanding ball.

Absolutely correct.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2017, 09:58:45 AM »

Agree with this 100%. And yes, I also literally screamed an unprintable word (a couple of them, actually) when Rowsey effed up at the start of the second half. My poor dog ran out of the room and went under the desk in my office.

I just object to the characterization that Rowsey was "terrible" for the entire first half. Both the box score and the play-by-play (and my eye test) say differently. Through 14 minutes, he was 2-for-3 (both 3s) with 3A and only 1 TO and we were up 42-32. Please, somebody, explain how that was "terrible"; please, somebody, explain how that was the entire half.

I also agree Sacar had a fine game, and I wouldn't be the least bit upset if he was SOTG. I never get worked up about such silly stuff. I just think it's funny how some can casually dismiss the performance of a guy who scored 30 points and largely carried us in the second half to a very important win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2017, 10:06:53 AM »
I also think we're taking Matty for granted.  He's going to start the next 55 games for MU earning 20+ minutes per game.  And every game, he'll play to the gameplan bringing the very best he has to the floor every one of those 1,100 minutes he earns.  But I guess that could be a new thread. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2017, 10:15:06 AM »

Rowsey is my favorite MU player in years. Possibly ever. But thanks for telling me that I’m against him.

On steroids? Uhh, nope? That’s weird.

When a player sucks I’ll say he sucks, whether I’m for him, against him, or neutral to him. If not for his godawful play to close out the first half, we’re never in a position to need 16 free throws from him.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
Rowsey was the SOTG yesterday. Yeah he can drive you crazy with TOs and yeah Sacars effort was great. But we still win that game without Sacar. We don’t come close without Rowsey.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2017, 10:24:34 AM »
Rowsey is my favorite MU player in years. Possibly ever. But thanks for telling me that I’m against him.

On steroids? Uhh, nope? That’s weird.

When a player sucks I’ll say he sucks, whether I’m for him, against him, or neutral to him. If not for his godawful play to close out the first half, we’re never in a position to need 16 free throws from him.

I'm with you. I think #unleashrowsey just doesn't handle rowsey critiscism best? I get what he's saying it I also feel like most here never said we didn't like him. We just disagree that he is far and away the SOTG for one game due to some poor decision making.

Was his 30 points amazing? YUP!

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »
Since I only was able to watch some of it, I’m late to the party.  But from what I saw,

1.  AR
2.  Sammola
3.  The guy no one can find.

Good win. Go Warriors!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2017, 10:51:46 AM »
The team is making these decisions tough.  So, I turned to KenPom - who lists WATERS as the MVP. Ok, that's no help.  I need to be thankful for someone on MU's squad today.  Rowsey it is...

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
Agree with this 100%. And yes, I also literally screamed an unprintable word (a couple of them, actually) when Rowsey effed up at the start of the second half. My poor dog ran out of the room and went under the desk in my office.
My dogs do not enjoy watching Marquette basketball with me, that's for sure.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2017, 11:43:42 AM »
I also think we're taking Matty for granted.  He's going to start the next 55 games for MU earning 20+ minutes per game.  And every game, he'll play to the gameplan bringing the very best he has to the floor every one of those 1,100 minutes he earns.  But I guess that could be a new thread.

After watching him get humiliated by South Carolina in the NCAA game and then overpowered by Purdue, I admit I was very worried about Matt. But he had a very solid Maui tournament, and I feel better about him. There probably will be some big men he cannot compete against, but it appears he'll be able to hang in there with most. And once Froling arrives (and then Joey and Morrow next year, as well as a more mature Theo), he'll have more help down low.

All right, now that Rocky made the right choice, time to watch some pigskin and enjoy a malt beverage (or 3). Happy Turkey Day to you and chickadee, and to all Scoopers everywhere!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2017, 11:47:32 AM »
My dogs do not enjoy watching Marquette basketball with me, that's for sure.

It's funny.  I'll normally cheer and complain like the next guy (or that lady at the other end of the couch) but rarely will I swear at sports.  I know I let go some 'colorful metaphors' with that opening second half play.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
Rowsey was the SOTG yesterday. Yeah he can drive you crazy with TOs and yeah Sacars effort was great. But we still win that game without Sacar. We don’t come close without Rowsey.

This is the only assessment needed for this conversation. Saying that Sacar or Heldt were the best guys on the floor because they played well given their abilities is a bad way to judge players, in my opinion. Rowsey is the main reason we won the game, plain and simple.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2017, 03:00:58 PM »
We need to have a new award for unsung hero of the game if people keep going with the answers that aren't obvious. How is Rowsey NOT stud of the game? Agree with Sultan / skianth16.

feedback