Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Will Froling be a difference maker  (Read 8253 times)

tower912

• All American
Will Froling be a difference maker
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
I don't know.  I hope so.  If he is a poor man's Henry and can rebound and play some defense, he will be a huge lift.   If he is just a body, then nothing changes.  Having a 10th body and another option on offense would have been nice today.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
Re: Will Froling be a difference maker
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 03:00:13 PM »
We need someone who can score in the paint.  Can he be a difference maker?  Idk.  Is providing some interior scoring as a change up to the outside dominance a "difference?"  If so, then yes.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 03:00:17 PM »
Difference maker might be too much to ask but I think he'll help quite a bit.  Gives us more size, more fouls, and hopefully an offensive threat from the 5.  If he can score 6-8 per game I think that would be a big help. 

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »
What was his game last year at SMU?

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
Difference maker might be too much to ask but I think he'll help quite a bit.  Gives us more size, more fouls, and hopefully an offensive threat from the 5.  If he can score 6-8 per game I think that would be a big help.

Offense will have to change a tad, Bigs right now just set picks.  How is Froling going to get the ball in this offense right now???

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 03:02:59 PM »
Luke used to.  Not that tough.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
Offense will have to change a tad, Bigs right now just set picks.  How is Froling going to get the ball in this offense right now???

The bigs set picks now because they can't do much else offensively.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 03:05:01 PM »
The bigs set picks now because they can't do much else offensively.

Well the Purdue Center sure destroyed us.

geps

• Team Captain
  • Double down
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »
Any other December additions made a huge difference over the years? Offhand can’t think of any.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »
No, hey? ‘til Wojo recruits some low post playas who can score and defend, his ass is gonna always bee handed to ‘im on a platter like it wuz today.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 03:07:47 PM »

Pick and pop?  I've never seen Froling play so all I know about him is what I've read here.  I don't know if he has a post-up game but it sounds like he can shoot so that will be up to Wojo to incorporate that skill set into the offense. 

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 03:08:36 PM »

Matt has what, two points in the last two games? Where is Sand Knit when we need him.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
Yes, he will contribute but  he will unlikely move this team to another level. Believe we need 9 wins in BE. Not sure how we get there.
That is my concern.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 03:10:30 PM »

Matt has what, two points in the last two games? Where is Sand Knit when we need him.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 03:23:06 PM »
Any other December additions made a huge difference over the years? Offhand can’t think of any.

I think Luke did.  Its true that team was destined to be bad but Luke pretty much singled handedly won the Az St game.  There are a couple of other games that season we likely lose without him.  If Froling makes enough of a difference to change 2 Ls to Ws that would be a big difference in how this season is likely to be viewed.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
No, hey? ‘til Wojo recruits some low post playas who can score and defend, his ass is gonna always bee handed to ‘im on a platter like it wuz today.
Froling, Morrow, Joey, Theo, Ike, and Bailey say hi.  I don't know if they will be post players, but they will have the size to defend the post.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 03:35:50 PM »
Pick and pop?  I've never seen Froling play so all I know about him is what I've read here.  I don't know if he has a post-up game but it sounds like he can shoot so that will be up to Wojo to incorporate that skill set into the offense.

So Joey is not a pick and pop guy?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »
Joey is a taller version of Sam.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 03:37:06 PM »
Froling doesn't need to be a world beater to make a big difference.  I'd be very happy with 7-9 ppg and 5+rpg in 23-25 min.  A consistent fourth scorer and 5 more fouls at the 4/5 would help a lot.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
Froling doesn't need to be a world beater to make a big difference.  I'd be very happy with 7-9 ppg and 5+rpg in 23-25 min.  A consistent fourth scorer and 5 more fouls at the 4/5 would help a lot.

What will Bailey bring?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 03:39:41 PM »
Joey is a taller version of Sam.

Pretty close.  Sam a better shooter, Joey a little more athletic.  Joey also needs to get in the weight room to fill out like Sam.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 03:39:51 PM »
I think Luke did.  Its true that team was destined to be bad but Luke pretty much singled handedly won the Az St game.  There are a couple of other games that season we likely lose without him.  If Froling makes enough of a difference to change 2 Ls to Ws that would be a big difference in how this season is likely to be viewed.

Anyone who doesn't think Luke made a difference is out of touch. Froling will be a difference maker in that we have a big that should be more competent scoring the ball, someone who can spell Heldt/John or even play alongside them. It always helps to have bigs back.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 03:42:41 PM »
What will Bailey bring?

I'm expecting he'll need a year to shake the rust off. Size and skill set similar to the Hausers but not quite as good, which is more of a compliment to Sam and Joey than a knock on Brendan.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 03:42:56 PM »
What will Bailey bring?

In high school, he was a very good shooter, wing player.  Was Reggie Miller skinny, but has gained 20 lbs of muscle after a 2 year mission.  Needs to get to MU as soon
as possible this summer to remember how to play competitive basketball again.  Could be the X factor next year, as you could see Anim, and Cain really have not shown
they can shoot the ball yet.  He is also tall.  Great size for a wing.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 03:46:43 PM »
Yes, Froling will be a difference maker. I expect him to challenge Matt and Theo for minutes. The competition will be good for all 3 post players — and help keep them fresh and out of foul trouble. Harry should also give Wojo more flexibility to put the right players on the floor at the right time.

From the scouting reports I've seen, Froling is known as a good rebounder and skilled scorer. And that was before he lost 50 pounds. Of the three, I won't be surprised if Harry scores the most points by season's end. I think Theo will end up being the best overall post defender, rebounder and shot blocker. As the most experienced player, Matt will probably get the most minutes. Who's the best passer/screener? Not sure at this point.

So likely a three-headed monster. I'm okay with that for now. To me, Heldt/John/Froling represents an upgrade in talent from Fischer/Heldt. Not a huge difference on the court right away, but a significantly higher ceiling.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

feedback