2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 15, 2024, 10:20:46 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[April 15, 2024, 10:12:01 PM]

Going Portaling: Which Portal Prospect do you want and why? by DoctorV
[April 15, 2024, 09:54:11 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Tyler COLEk
[April 15, 2024, 08:53:41 PM]

[Paint Touches] Shaka reaffirms MU commitment by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 15, 2024, 07:07:35 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by PGsHeroes32
[April 15, 2024, 06:38:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New facility questions  (Read 26439 times)

Warrior of Law

• All American
New facility questions
« on: August 03, 2017, 02:17:48 PM »
Just got an email reminder about tix for 2017-18.  They are marketing the end of the Bradley Center:

"The 2017-18 campaign will mark the final season in the BMO Harris Bradley Center, which will be celebrating its 30th anniversary all season long."

There is no reference to moving into a state-of-the art new NBA facility for 2018-19.  Usually, they will encourage tickets to be purchased this year to ensure the best seats in the new place, etc.  I am speculating that MU may not have an agreement on rent for the new facility.  Based on what the Bucks are charging for tickets, it seems likely that the rent may be too high to support playing all 18 MU home games there.  It could become a situation similar to a few of our BE peers in that the "big" games are played in the NBA/NHL facility, and the other games on are on-campus or elsewhere.

I could (and hope to) be wrong, but it seems rather late in the process to not have this matter buttoned-up.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

GGGG

• All American
Re: New facility questions
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
Just got an email reminder about tix for 2017-18.  They are marketing the end of the Bradley Center:

"The 2017-18 campaign will mark the final season in the BMO Harris Bradley Center, which will be celebrating its 30th anniversary all season long."

There is no reference to moving into a state-of-the art new NBA facility for 2018-19.  Usually, they will encourage tickets to be purchased this year to ensure the best seats in the new place, etc.  I am speculating that MU may not have an agreement on rent for the new facility.  Based on what the Bucks are charging for tickets, it seems likely that the rent may be too high to support playing all 18 MU home games there.  It could become a situation similar to a few of our BE peers in that the "big" games are played in the NBA/NHL facility, and the other games on are on-campus or elsewhere.

I could (and hope to) be wrong, but it seems rather late in the process to not have this matter buttoned-up.

Marquette doesn't have the on-campus facility like those other schools do.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
Was told that a lease will be signed this month. Negotiations were difficult from everything I've heard, but MU will be playing in the new arena. 

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »
Good to hear.  I imagine those were some intense negotiations.  The Bucks ownership, and therefore the management of the arena, not having Milwaukee and/or Marquette connections likely doesn't help.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 02:51:40 PM »
Makes me wonder if it would've been better to just pay upfront and be partners with the bucks on this as opposed to renting
Maigh Eo for Sam

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »
Makes me wonder if it would've been better to just pay upfront and be partners with the bucks on this as opposed to renting
Not a good use of capital really why pay upfront
Goal is National Championship

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »

Wouldn't have mattered, the Bucks leadership would have hardballed us there too. I have to say, I've had some experiences with the Bucks leadership team, and while I like what they've done for the Bucks.....generally those guys are d!ck$ when it comes to anything Milwaukee that is not the Bucks, on top of kind of being a$$holes.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 03:08:13 PM »
Wouldn't have mattered, the Bucks leadership would have hardballed us there too. I have to say, I've had some experiences with the Bucks leadership team, and while I like what they've done for the Bucks.....generally those guys are d!ck$ when it comes to anything Milwaukee that is not the Bucks, on top of kind of being a$$holes.

They're kind of Masters of the Universe hedge fund types. Not sure I could imagine them being any other way.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 03:08:53 PM »

Yup.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »
Another vote for renting.   In 5 years, the Bucks will be unhappy with the Jumbotron or that the locker rooms are too small or they want laser guided t-shirt cannons mounted on the 2nd floor.

Meanwhile, the Bucks need a tenant, and revenue.   Although since the demolition of the BC was in the agreements .. not sure how much leverage they had.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 03:16:26 PM »
Was told that a lease will be signed this month. Negotiations were difficult from everything I've heard, but MU will be playing in the new arena.

I've heard the same thing although don't know anything about the timing of the formal signing.  I think it is fair to say that there's been a bit of a falling out between the university and the Bucks.  I can't pretend to speculate about the basis for this.  I don't think it relates to #mubb at all.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 03:32:11 PM »
I've heard the same thing although don't know anything about the timing of the formal signing.  I think it is fair to say that there's been a bit of a falling out between the university and the Bucks.  I can't pretend to speculate about the basis for this.  I don't think it relates to #mubb at all.

Honestly, I think it's because the Bucks think they can get whatever they want.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »
They're kind of Masters of the Universe hedge fund types. Not sure I could imagine them being any other way.

Yeah I know the type.  They really aren't beholden to Milwaukee in anyway outside of how it impacts their ownership in the Bucks.  I mean, why not play hardball with Marquette?  They know they have Marquette over a barrel. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 03:38:05 PM »
BTW, there's updated pics in the Journal.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 03:43:17 PM »

Started with the Aurora money and deteriorated from there.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 03:53:29 PM »

My concern all along has been that they well change the point system. Maybe they will go to a seat license? I believe Louisville is one of the schools that does this.
They will not be reference buying tickets for this season having a benefit for next season, if they are in the process of changing the system.

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 05:10:36 PM »
Started with the Aurora money and deteriorated from there.

I thought the Bucks were key partners in the MU facility. What's the issue with the Aurora money?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 05:14:22 PM »
I thought the Bucks were key partners in the MU facility. What's the issue with the Aurora money?

Not anymore.  Froedtert ended up partnering with the Bucks.  Aurora has always been a big supporter of MU on the healthcare side along with Wheaton Franciscan.  I think there might have been some friction with the Bucks regarding that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »

With the BC coming down, they can. What's our option? The Al?  UW-Milwaukee arena? Rosemont?

The Bucks do benefit from a regular tenant...but they also have other sources of revenue, like concerts.  MU has no real choice.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 06:29:26 PM »
With the BC coming down, they can. What's our option? The Al?  UW-Milwaukee arena? Rosemont?

The Bucks do benefit from a regular tenant...but they also have other sources of revenue, like concerts.  MU has no real choice.

While all true, the Bucks have no other way to fill 18 dates in the winter.  Simply not possible with monster trucks and ice shows.  It'll get done.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »

Honestly, I think it's because the Bucks can get whatever they want.

We have no hand.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »
I'm sure MU can work it out, but the Bucks owners could care less about Marquette,they just want
to double the worth of the franchise..

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »
Maybe they can put a court in center field in Miller Park.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »

When there was the planned joint Sports Medicine facility with the Bucks and Marquette, the expectation was that there would be open bidding for the naming rights. Pretty sure the Bucks (who work with the current Sports Medicine Institute at Froedtert) expected FMLH would win the rights and Marquette expected that Aurora (whom they partner with) would win.

Regardless, before the bidding opened, Marquette announced a partnership with Aurora. Didn't sit well with the Bucks, who went their own way and partnered up with Froedtert. Definitely a bit of a misstep by Marquette, in my opinion.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 08:08:48 PM »
While all true, the Bucks have no other way to fill 18 dates in the winter.  Simply not possible with monster trucks and ice shows.  It'll get done.

Agree it'll get done.  But on balance, MU needs a place to play (absolutely essential) a lot more than the Bucks need to fill an extra 18 dates (great for extra revenue, but they'd survive without it). 

feedback