collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Cubs Fans, Worried Yet?  (Read 26470 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Cubs Fans, Worried Yet?
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2017, 09:02:17 AM »
This statement, WHICH YOU QUOTED, goes against your argument. No matter how matter times you write it, there are no Cubs fans making the argument that the Cubs have been a better franchise than the Cardinals. The point is that the Cubs have been one of the best teams in baseball for the last 2 seasons and they're trending in the right direction. The Cardinals have fallen back the last 2 seasons, missing the postseason last year and likely doing the same this year. 

Since Theo took over, the Cubs have 1 NL Central title, a Wild Card berth, an NL Pennant and a World Series title (despite tanking for 3 of his 5 seasons) while the Cardinals have 3 NL Central titles, a Wild Card berth and a pennant. StL has the advantage in postseason appearances but the Cubs have the advantage in that they've won the World Series. The argument is "which franchise is in the better position right now and looks to be in a better position going forward" as opposed to your false claim that Cubs fans think their franchise has been better historically.

The Cubs are a whopping 2.5 games better than the Cardinals this year.  Less games than what the Cardinals beat the Cubs by in 2015 yet the Cubs were the better team...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2017, 10:36:36 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/=axcIvYs8Qso" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/=axcIvYs8Qso</a>

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
The Cubs are a whopping 2.5 games better than the Cardinals this year.  Less games than what the Cardinals beat the Cubs by in 2015 yet the Cubs were the better team...

You've created so many strawmen in this topic that it's turning all of Scoop into a fire hazard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2017, 10:53:05 AM »
You've created so many strawmen in this topic that it's turning all of Scoop into a fire hazard.

Good thing we have multiple resident firemen.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
Good thing we have multiple resident firemen.

Heh, I chuckled
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »
The Cubs are fine*

* They are going to get their ass kicked by the winner of the West, but they will eventually make enough of a surge to win the Central.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
I expect the Cubs to trade for Alex Avila any day now.    The question is who they will give up.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »
The Cubs have been the better organization for one whole year.  Definitely not "since Ricketts took over and Epstein has come on board."

So all the arguments from Cubs fans are...because they agree?  Interesting.

It's really not all that hard to comprehend.  The Cubs need to go roughly the next decade of consistently competing for WS titles with the Cardinals being mediocre for much of that decade to even be in the picture as on the same organizational level as the Cardinals.  Could they get there?  Sure.  Are they set up to be successful over the next decade?  Looks like they should be.  But am I just going to say, "Well, they won a WS and it looks like they're set up to succeed for a while, so forget the 108 years prior to that, the Cubs are right there with the Cards now?"  Nope.  It really has nothing to do with "being a blind Chicago sports hater" and everything to do with...well, the fact that the Cubs have largely been a joke of an organization for a century while the Cardinals have been one of the two best NL organizations.  How there can be any debate about that is completely baffling.  But I guess Chicago fans agree but just want to argue...

You're the type that just goes down with your ship regardless of the quality of your argument, huh?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
You're the type that just goes down with your ship regardless of the quality of your argument, huh?

When the argument is Cubs organization vs. Cardinals organization when all the Cubs have is one season on them? Yup. I'll go down with that ship!

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
When the argument is Cubs organization vs. Cardinals organization when all the Cubs have is one season on them? Yup. I'll go down with that ship!

I'm really confused how someone could argue the Cardinals aren't the premier team in all of baseball for the last decade and a change. Everyone thought they'd fall off once La Russa left.

The Cubs have been exceptionally well run since Theo. They were, in many respects, a better small market team than the Brewers. Focused on the draft and cheap controllable talent, and they look primed. But to reach STL's level, they'll need to win or compete for a few more. Sustainability is the name of the game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #85 on: July 01, 2017, 01:08:16 PM »
I'm really confused how someone could argue the Cardinals aren't the premier team in all of baseball for the last decade and a change. Everyone thought they'd fall off once La Russa left.

The Cubs have been exceptionally well run since Theo. They were, in many respects, a better small market team than the Brewers. Focused on the draft and cheap controllable talent, and they look primed. But to reach STL's level, they'll need to win or compete for a few more. Sustrightbility is the name of the game.

Pretty much everyone agrees with you.  I still can't figure out who wades thinks he is arguing with.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »
I expect the Cubs to trade for Alex Avila any day now.    The question is who they will give up.

Former Theo acquisition in Boston, Jarrod Saltalamacchia just got released. He's not what he used to be but I wouldn't be surprised to see them at least kick the tires on him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
Brewers are now 4 1/2 games ahead of the Cubbies (but only 3 in the loss column).

Obviously, still miles and miles to go. Cubs finish pre-break with Pirates at home while Brewers have to go to Yankee Stadium, so they could be tied in the loss column in 3 days. Who knows?

But I'm still saying I see absolutely no need for the Brewers to believe anything other than they have a very good chance to win the division. And once you do that, who knows what will happen in the playoffs. I still wouldn't go wild trying to land the one or two "difference makers" they might feel they need, but I definitely wouldn't be selling off good players for alleged prospects who might never be any good.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2017, 06:35:53 PM »
Today was another example. One team looking for answers.  The other team giggling like middle schoolers getting back on the bus for the trip to the airport.

I hope the Crew can find way to stay loose. Been fun to watch the kids.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2017, 08:59:35 PM »
i haven't watched the brewers this much in about 5 years.  these guys are having a blast and trying to invest in their futures at the same time.  just keep on having fun and the investments will take care of themselves.  anastasio must be pinching himself.  in other news, the sears tower refuses to allow cub fans on the elevator
don't...don't don't don't don't

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2017, 05:23:21 PM »
in other news, the sears tower refuses to allow cub fans on the elevator

Sears Tower?  Hoffman Estates doesn't have tall enough buildings...

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »
anastasio must be pinching himself. 

Its summer touring time man, he's just out there having a great time shredding for his fans

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2017, 07:10:15 PM »
I know there's a lot of baseball left, but that happened quickly...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2017, 07:28:26 PM »
I know there's a lot of baseball left, but that happened quickly...

I would argue it took A LOT longer than it should have taken.  Like, 3 months longer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2017, 09:34:01 PM »
If the Cubs sweep the Brewers this weekend, they could win this thing by 10 games.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2017, 08:12:10 PM »
Quick! PM me tomorrow's Powerball numbers. I'll give you a commission I promise.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:20:06 PM by MUEng92 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2017, 08:46:21 PM »
I was off by a month.    I would probably be off by a month on the powerball numbers, too.    Picking up Avila was too logical.   They could have had him for another month but chose not to. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2017, 10:18:50 PM »
Quick! PM me tomorrow's Powerball numbers. I'll give you a commission I promise.

You need 27 days later. Still a nice pick though.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »

cheebs09

• All American

feedback