Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: WOW...this is a complete shocker...  (Read 19808 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: WOW...this is a complete shocker...
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2017, 08:40:01 AM »
UNC had no problems finding minutes for guys that were 6'7", 6'10", 6'9", 6'10", 6'8", and 6'8".  If a couple players' feelings were hurt because they didn't get the minutes they wanted, I think the championship trophy they just brought back from Phoenix probably outweighs those hurt feelings to Roy, the fans, and the school.  On a 13 man roster, there are going to be 5ish players who just aren't going to get a ton of minutes.  Whether they're 6' guards or 7' big men, that's just how it works.  You can't find minutes for all 13 players.

Bring in the talent.  The best players will earn their minutes, and those who fall behind can either hit the gym and get better, be happy to be on a great team but not much of a contributor, or look for other options.

For me, it's about balancing the roster. Yes, you can find minutes for those guys. But you need guys at the 1-3 positions too. More specifically, the 1. I'm just nervous about the idea of Howard being the only PG on the roster. If you take a big transfer now and Joey next year, that's 9 effective bigs and three more (Anim, Cheatham, Elliott) that are 2/3s. Maybe the Cheatham-at-point experiment would work better the second time around, but I'd be a skeptic.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
At some point, I think we as fans have to stop salivating over every shiny new transfer and give a thought to team chemistry. 
I agree with this analysis.  Has to be a fit on both sides.  Never stop recruiting...but by mid-season, realize that there will likely be a 9-man rotation and the last four guys off the bench will have minimal impact except in a few games one or another step up.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2017, 08:57:33 AM »
For me, it's about balancing the roster. Yes, you can find minutes for those guys. But you need guys at the 1-3 positions too. More specifically, the 1. I'm just nervous about the idea of Howard being the only PG on the roster. If you take a big transfer now and Joey next year, that's 9 effective bigs and three more (Anim, Cheatham, Elliott) that are 2/3s. Maybe the Cheatham-at-point experiment would work better the second time around, but I'd be a skeptic.

I don't disagree but those things work themselves out.  Rewind 12 months and we were wondering why Wojo would be interested in some USC grad transfer that plays the wing, is allergic to grabbing rebounds, and has even played the point when we had so much depth at the point/wing and so little big men.  Fast forward 9 months from there and Sandy and Traci are gowne, Sacar is redshirting, Cheatham is struggling big time, JJJ still doesn't have any kind of consistency, and thank God said USC grad transfer wing who we thought we wouldn't need chose Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
Looking ahead..not that you'd want him running the point necessarily but Joey is a very good ballhandler..brought it up for SPASH regularly. If anything that gives you a lot of flexibility as to where you can play him and others.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
5J. You know I love transfers. Hell, I dedicate a discordant amount of my personal time in April to tracking every transfer in the off-season. But keeping your current team chemistry in mind is an important part of roster building. Its not all about getting talent, it about getting talent that works together. Its also not just about next year. Gotta make sure we are building a sustrightble program. Too many short term players like transfer, grad transfers, and jucos is why we fell apart in Buzz' last year. He was a wizard for the first 5 at filling the holes with the right pieces. His coaching acumen allowed him to turn teams with huge flaws into winners. But too many missteps, and it all comes down like a house of cards. Buzz didn't have the foundation of four year players to fall back on when too many surprises like McKay and Blue leaving came up at once.

I personally have no interest in the Lawson brothers for Marquette. If we could get one, absolutely. But both is too much. That would give us a junior class of D Lawson, K Lawson, Froling, Howard, Hauser, Anim. Half your players in one class is dangerous. It also gives you Heldt, Hauser, Froling, Cain, John, Eke, D Lawson, K Lawson, Bailey and theoretically J Hauser at the 3-5 positions. 10 out of 13 players. I'd be nervous with only three or four players (depending on if a guard or forward transferred to make room for Joey) who could play the 1-2....especially with only one who I'd trust at the point as of now. I see likely transfers and negative recruiting implications. Not worth two years (assuming they don't grad transfer or Dedric goes pro, both of which seem within the realm of possibility) of admittedly talented players (they are currently my #1 and #3 most talented traditional transfer) not at a position of need IMHO.

Bringing up team chemistry and make up is a valid point when considering transfers.

It's the offseason and we are fans. We salivate over transfers because we want the best and most talented players to wear blue and gold. We should give thought to team chemistry, but the reality is, we don't know how it will or won't be impacted. We don't know these kids. Some might get pissed and say I'm out of here. Others might be salivating along with us because they see a teammate who can help them win a championship. What we do know, is the numbers they put up and how that could potentially translate to more Ws for Marquette.

Trying to stop fans from getting excited about possible transfers is like me trying to get Sand Knit to get over his hate boner for Luke, or Lenny trying to stop Chicos after he put him on ignore, or anyone trying to stop Rocket Surgeon from defending Chicos against Lenny, or trying to stop Willie from tweeting as Mazos Burger (we all know its you!), or trying to stop Wades from reminding us that the most important game of the season is the next one, or trying to stop Jay Bee from mispelling matter as matta and bowl as bowel....

Great post.  I agree with all of it, but I think you know that.  To be clear, I've never said much about the Lawson twins.  Taking both together doesn't work for us after the Elliot commitment, for multiple reasons. They're intriguing players, but our current roster make up doesn't allow for them - plus we need help next year. Morrow seems like a similar option, and one where a package deal isn't on the table. At this point I expect either 2 grad transfers, or 1 grad and 1 traditional transfer. 

I like transfers because unless you're a blue blood, one of the best ways to build a team is via transfers.  I also like discussing transfers at the moment because its the offseason, and my baseball team is going to suck donkey nuts this year, and obsessing over that is usually how I spend my spring months.  Plus, we have two available scholarships!! 

Obviously team chemistry is important.  I get that.  But Marquette should always strive to bring in the best talent that they can.  If that means someone at the end of the bench gets mad and leaves, oh well.  Should we not have recruited Markus because of Traci?  While I wish Traci would have stuck around (at least through the end of the year for his sake), that situation took care of itself. Or how about Sam because of Sandy? Generally speaking, bringing in better talent is always a positive. As someone who has been recruited overmyself (not at the D1 level, admittedly), it is just is what it is, especially at this level.  You fight through it, or you find what you believe to be greener pastures.

I just think it is silly for poster on a fan message board to get peeved about others discussing potential transfers when we have 2 available scholarships. Obviously roster make up and chemistry need to be considered when building a roster, but that isn't any of our jobs.  It is nice to have a place to discuss available players, even if they aren't realistic options for MU.  Again, it is the offseason after all.

I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2017, 09:30:48 AM »

Cain, Bailey, and Sam are not "bigs". Those guys are all 2s and 3s with size.  Sam played the 4 out of necessity last year, but if he were on a team with size, that wouldn't have happened unless the team went with a 4 guard lineup. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2017, 09:35:15 AM »
I don't disagree but those things work themselves out.  Rewind 12 months and we were wondering why Wojo would be interested in some USC grad transfer that plays the wing, is allergic to grabbing rebounds, and has even played the point when we had so much depth at the point/wing and so little big men.  Fast forward 9 months from there and Sandy and Traci are gowne, Sacar is redshirting, Cheatham is struggling big time, JJJ still doesn't have any kind of consistency, and thank God said USC grad transfer wing who we thought we wouldn't need chose Marquette.

Yessir, wades. No sane person would argue against this.

Get great players and worry about feelings and chemistry and other non-measurable potential "situations" later.

We want to take steps toward being a blueblood? THAT'S what bluebloods do!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2017, 09:36:43 AM »
Cain, Bailey, and Sam are not "bigs". Those guys are all 2s and 3s with size.  Sam played the 4 out of necessity last year, but if he were on a team with size, that wouldn't have happened unless the team went with a 4 guard lineup. 

I agree with this.  We can trot out Bailey, Cain and probably even Sam to play a guard position.  If Elliott can handle the ball, we'll be fine.

Look we want to be bigger and more athletic.  And now we think we are going to be too big?

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »

Positions no matta. Cain, Hauser, and Bailey could all play together at the 2/3/4.  Switchables, if you will. Collectively there would be enough dribbling, passing, shooting, and rebounding to make it work. Joey Hauser would fit this mold, too.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »
Positions no matta. Cain, Hauser, and Bailey could all play together at the 2/3/4.  Switchables, if you will. Collectively there would be enough dribbling, passing, shooting, and rebounding to make it work. Joey Hauser would fit this mold, too.

Yes.  They are not exclusively big men. They are not post players.  They can play on the wing or at 2G. It would be a team with size and great shooting - exactly what we've wanted for years. 

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »
Yes.  They are not exclusively big men. They are not post players.  They can play on the wing or at 2G. It would be a team with size and great shooting - exactly what we've wanted for years.
I don't know about Cain or Bailey, but I don't want to see Sam trying to defend the opponent's SG.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2017, 10:53:53 AM »
I don't know about Cain or Bailey, but I don't want to see Sam trying to defend the opponent's SG.

Nor do I want to see him guarding BE power forwards any longer.  Sam is a wing.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 11:36:26 AM »

I'm going to fully disagree with you there. I'm a firm believer that position is not based on what your offensive role is, but rather who you can guard on defense, especially in a man-to-man which is Wojo's preference.

Would you ever want to see Sam Hauser trying to defend Khadeen Carrington one-on-one? Shamorie Ponds? Marcus Foster? Sam's best fit is probably defending 3s on the wing, but if we're going to talk secondary positions, I think it's a lot easier for someone like him to gain the strength needed to guard a 4 than the quickness needed to guard a 2. Until they prove otherwise, the same will likely apply to Cain and Bailey, even if they project as wings on offense.

There are certainly exceptions. Jimmy Butler was 6'7" and could guard 1-4. But he was a first-round NBA draft pick. Syracuse does a good job of incorporating numerous long, athletic wings, but they mask their quickness issues by playing zone. Unless we have 3 Jimmy Butlers on our roster, those guys are likely going to be playing 3/4 rather than 2/3. And if we do have 3 JFBs, we can stop thinking about getting tournament berths and start planning to cut down the nets in Minneapolis in 2019.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »
I'm going to fully disagree with you there. I'm a firm believer that position is not based on what your offensive role is, but rather who you can guard on defense, especially in a man-to-man which is Wojo's preference.

Would you ever want to see Sam Hauser trying to defend Khadeen Carrington one-on-one? Shamorie Ponds? Marcus Foster? Sam's best fit is probably defending 3s on the wing, but if we're going to talk secondary positions, I think it's a lot easier for someone like him to gain the strength needed to guard a 4 than the quickness needed to guard a 2. Until they prove otherwise, the same will likely apply to Cain and Bailey, even if they project as wings on offense.

I literally just said Sam is a wing.  He shouldn't be categorized as a "big".

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2017, 12:36:53 PM »
Jamil

Anyone that knows a lick about building a program would prefer leaving a schollie open vs. taking guys, just to take guys. Programs looking to build something are patient and not in a rush to sign any clown off the street. If Wojo thinks we are top 20 or better team by adding a transfer then he should do it. If he thinks we are a bubble team he is far better off banking the schollie.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2017, 12:39:22 PM »
Chemistry is obviously a key factor in evaluating any transfer. But I think Wojo has clearly demonstrated good instincts in this regard.

In Wojo's first season, graduate transfer Matt Carlino stepped in to immediately become Marquette's best player — leading the team in minutes, points and steals per game. Indiana transfer Luke Fischer was fifth on the team in minutes played and third in scoring. Both were great additions to the roster and total team players. Fischer finished his MU career as one of the school's top 50 all-time scorers and rebounders.

Transfer Wally Ellenson was nowhere near as big of a contributor in 2014-15. But he did contribute, accepted his role off the bench and fully supported the team.

This past season, Andrew Rowsey and Katin Reinhardt became part of the main rotation as transfers — finishing 2nd and 5th in points scored, respectively. Whether starting or coming off the bench, they played hard and did everything they could to make the team better.

Based on that track record, chemistry is the least of my concerns when it comes to transfers. I'm confident Wojo has it covered.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:49:11 PM by Marcus92 »
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »
Jamil

Anyone that knows a lick about building a program would prefer leaving a schollie open vs. taking guys, just to take guys. Programs looking to build something are patient and not in a rush to sign any clown off the street. If Wojo thinks we are top 20 or better team by adding a transfer then he should do it. If he thinks we are a bubble team he is far better off banking the schollie.

I've never suggested taking guys just to take guys.  If you paid any attention to the players that are currently available on the transfer market, you'd know that there are tons of players out there that would be major contributors to very good teams.  No one is suggesting "adding clowns off the street". 

But thanks for the input. By the way - I thought you banned yourself?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 12:45:56 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2017, 12:47:13 PM »
Nor do I want to see him guarding BE power forwards any longer.  Sam is a wing.
Who are these Big East power forwards that we are concerned about for next year? I get that the BE has a rep for big, bad men at the 4, but let's be a little more concrete.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2017, 12:48:58 PM »
Who are these Big East power forwards that we are concerned about for next year? I get that the BE has a rep for big, bad men at the 4, but let's be a little more concrete.

Guarding specific players isn't really the point.  Are you suggesting that you think Sam Hauser should continue to primarily play the 4?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
I literally just said Sam is a wing.  He shouldn't be categorized as a "big".

He's a lot more of a big than a guard, and he really should be able to guard more than one position. That means a 3/4 rather than a 2/3.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2017, 01:07:31 PM »
Guarding specific players isn't really the point.  Are you suggesting that you think Sam Hauser should continue to primarily play the 4?

It depends on the roster and the matchup — plus how far Sam develops in the offseason.

Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder and Lazar Hayward were all undersized big men at Marquette. But they had the strength and skill to play both the low and high post on both ends, not just the perimeter.

Sam's listed at 6-7, 225, very similar to Jimmy at the same point in his career. Right now he has the size to guard most college 3s and 4s, even some 5s. He has the frame to add more muscle. And at 19 years old, a growth spurt isn't completely out of the question. But he needs to get quicker (something Jimmy worked on throughout his MU career) and improve his defensive technique (positioning and footwork).

If he can do that, while gaining more confidence in his mid-range game and driving to the basket, I have no problem whatsoever with Sam playing significant minutes at the 4 spot.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Goose

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2017, 01:08:10 PM »
Jamil

I had banned by myself but watching your posts over transfers and recruiting caught my eye. I now understand your thought process much better and no longer confused on what direction you want for the program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2017, 01:11:12 PM »
Chemistry is obviously a key factor in evaluating any transfer. But I think Wojo has clearly demonstrated good instincts in this regard.

In Wojo's first season, graduate transfer Matt Carlino stepped in to immediately become Marquette's best player — leading the team in minutes, points and steals per game. Indiana transfer Luke Fischer was fifth on the team in minutes played and third in scoring. Both were great additions to the roster and total team players. Fischer finished his MU career as one of the school's top 50 all-time scorers and rebounders.

Transfer Wally Ellenson was nowhere near as big of a contributor in 2014-15. But he did contribute, accepted his role off the bench and fully supported the team.

This past season, Andrew Rowsey and Katin Reinhardt became part of the main rotation as transfers — finishing 2nd and 5th in points scored, respectively. Whether starting or coming off the bench, they played hard and did everything they could to make the team better.

Based on that track record, chemistry is the least of my concerns when it comes to transfers. I'm confident Wojo has it covered.

Outstanding points. Well done.

I also like what you said about Sam being able to play 4. If he continues to progress, it would create matchup problems for the opponent on defense, too!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2017, 01:16:04 PM »
He's a lot more of a big than a guard, and he really should be able to guard more than one position. That means a 3/4 rather than a 2/3.

But the point is that someone like Cain or Bailey may able to guard a 2.  And Sam *can* serve in the role of a traditional spot up shooter on offense, while Cain may be more of an driver.  Simply put, if one or more of these wings *can* guard a two, it is a non issue.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2017, 01:20:32 PM »
Sam's listed at 6-7, 225, very similar to Jimmy at the same point in his career. Right now he has the size to guard most college 3s and 4s, even some 5s. He has the frame to add more muscle. And at 19 years old, a growth spurt isn't completely out of the question. But he needs to get quicker (something Jimmy worked on throughout his MU career) and improve his defensive technique (positioning and footwork).

Well said. And I think it's easier to add muscle than quickness, which is why I see Sam as a 3/4. Natural position would be as a 3, but has the ability to play the 4 situationally.

feedback